U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM

17,132 posts, read 12,502,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
MM you just reminded me of the 3rd place I used one

1) parade
2) top of a cliff
3) AIRPORT when I had a 1 year old in a stroller, a 3 year old with the little bear backpack harness, carry on bag for all 3 of us, and no other adult to help me.

now I will wait for someone to tell me I shouldn't have been flying alone with 2 kids

yep. Been there, done that. DH had moved to this state several months ahead of us. I was left with a house to sell, a full time job, a 3.5 year old and an infant. I had to meet him in another city at some point during that time. Whether someone thought I was a bad mom for that I really don't give a flying fig. It had nothing to do with whether my kids were well behaved or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM

463 posts, read 779,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And what happens when you have more kids than hands? Or your hands are otherwise occupied?

I understand people not using the leashes/harnesses/reins...fine - you don't have a need for them don't use them no one is asking you to. BUT. Why the looking down your noses at other people who are just trying to manage the best they can? Can they be misused or overused? Sure - as can just about anything. An active child might actually be better behaved as well as happier with a harness rather than strapped into a stroller. Strollers can take up lots of room and be difficult to maneuver in certain circumstances - or just not practical for the situation. Busy airports and other transit stations while traveling is what comes to mind here. A small child who has sat still for several hours on an airplane only to have a layover of a few hours needs to be able to stretch his/her little legs.

And as far as not taking a 2 yr old to Disney? You sometimes take the opportunity as it arises. It may not always be perfect. Not everyone has family nearby to just keep the little one while you entertain the older one(s).

Then the older child holds middle child's hand if needed like in parking lots. When there's 2 parents not an issue. We watch them as they explore. I wasn't "looking down" on anyone-- I clearly stated I was on the fence and actually understand some kids' temperament is just difficult regardless. Lay the foundation of your parental expectations early on! It goes a long way-- it's even longer than the leash!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM

17,035 posts, read 14,609,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
yep. Been there, done that. DH had moved to this state several months ahead of us. I was left with a house to sell, a full time job, a 3.5 year old and an infant. I had to meet him in another city at some point during that time. Whether someone thought I was a bad mom for that I really don't give a flying fig. It had nothing to do with whether my kids were well behaved or not.
That was exactly my situation! DH was here for 5 months before we were. I was trying to deal with a 1.5 year old, a 3.5 year old, work full time, and keep the house in show condition. I used the bear harness on our first flight here. It was the first airplane ride for the kids, and my first time flying alone with 2 preschoolers.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 PM

17,132 posts, read 12,502,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Then the older child holds middle child's hand if needed like in parking lots. When there's 2 parents not an issue. We watch them as they explore. I wasn't "looking down" on anyone-- I clearly stated I was on the fence and actually understand some kids' temperament is just difficult regardless. Lay the foundation of your parental expectations early on! It goes a long way-- it's even longer than the leash!
Thanks but my parental expectations were fine. My kids are grown and well behaved. I wasn't necessarily speaking of you alone as looking down. Several posters have been condescending in their attitudes about THEIR kids who KNEW better than to let go. Because THEY were taught better....that's the attitude I'm talking about.

Not every situation can be handled like you did. Glad it worked for you but it really has no bearing on whether or not it is the "best" way. There are often many ways to do things and every family has to find what works best for them. That's the point.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
oooohhhhhh! So the 1 year old should hold the 3 year old's hand, and they should be trusted to make that work and not step out on front of a car, and both parents should be present at all times. GREAT idea!

You don't have an answer for every possible situation.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM

In all of these posts I have read several reasons, or examples of situations where using one might be helpful. I haven't read a real reason that using one is a bad idea. If anyone has one, please let us know. "It looks dumb" isn't a reason.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 PM

463 posts, read 779,448 times
Your right I don't. Didn't say I did. However-- I do have 2 hands. So the 1 and 3 year old would've been covered. I really don't see many 1yr old walking solo in parking lots either. To each their own is my mantra. However- for sake of this forum just sharing my observation/experience/opinion. Aren't we all?! Just because it's not your own doesn't make it wrong.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,337,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
In all of these posts I have read several reasons, or examples of situations where using one might be helpful. I haven't read a real reason that using one is a bad idea. If anyone has one, please let us know. "It looks dumb" isn't a reason.
Umm. Let me think... Hmm... Still thinking... Oh! I have it! The animal on the backpack part of the harness comes to life and attacks the child? No. That stuff only happens in movies.

How about this: The parent is an idiot and thinks the harness is a actual human that can be used as a babysitter and completely ignores the kid. Oh. Wait. If the parent is that much of an idiot, the harness really doesn't change anything.

Well, I am out of ideas. Anyone else?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 PM

21,316 posts, read 19,454,334 times
Strangulation hazard? I can't think of anything.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Your right I don't. Didn't say I did. However-- I do have 2 hands. So the 1 and 3 year old would've been covered. I really don't see many 1yr old walking solo in parking lots either. To each their own is my mantra. However- for sake of this forum just sharing my observation/experience/opinion. Aren't we all?! Just because it's not your own doesn't make it wrong.
I guess I don't get the point you are trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting