U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 PM

24,010 posts, read 27,516,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
rkb made a good point a few pages ago. We have seen many reasons why parents woould use them, but no good reasons not to use them. I was actually kind of hoping someone would come up with a reason why they should not be used. Does anyone have any ideas?
well, there is the pet thing, but they really aren't the same at all. It's not like they go around the kid's neck! And even for that to be bad, you'd have to buy into the master-servant owner and pet relationship. I don't see that much. Most pet owners think of their dog's as part of the family.

Then I think someone brought up the s & m thing. I won't even go there If that's the first thing you think of when you hear "child leash" something is wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 PM

14,983 posts, read 16,063,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
how in the world would use use a toilet seat to potty train your dog?????
I don't know about dogs, but cats can be trained to use the toilet.

How to Toilet-Train Your Cat

Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't know about dogs, but cats can be trained to use the toilet.

How to Toilet-Train Your Cat
lol. At one point my dog was litter box trained and my cats were toilet trained. I am starting to think that I have a strange house.

About the child leashes (I prefer to call them harnesses). I think they hav their uses. If you don't want to use one, fine. That doesn't mean you have to look down on someone who uses them. It is like the choice to use a pacifier. Some kids never want or need one. My dd really loved her pacifier. I said that I wouldn't use one, but guess what. Before we even left the hospital, she had one in her mouth. It calmed her. It didn't do her any harm, so what's the big deal? It is the same with the harnesses. Right now you don't see yourself using one because you just think you will never need one. Some day, you might find yourself in the situation where the harness seems like a great idea.

I think that being a parent means being willing to give up on the idea of what you think your child should need and in the end doing what you need to do to meet your end goal which is to have safe, happy and healthy contributing members to society no matter whether the path you took matched your initial ideas or not. Because trust me, it won't all go according to plan.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM

874 posts, read 1,309,775 times
Kids that are on leashes turn out to be murderers. Just let them roam like human beings. LOL

Putting them on a leash would be treating like an animal... very low.

I call parents who do that lazy, because they don't take their time off and be a parent. They just have to teach them manners... that's it. Then they wouldn't have to worry about their child wandering off. If that's what parents have been doing for 1000s of years then I'm 100% sure parents can keep doing it.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 PM

24,010 posts, read 27,516,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Kids that are on leashes turn out to be murderers. Just let them roam like human beings. LOL

Putting them on a leash would be treating like an animal... very low.

I call parents who do that lazy, because they don't take their time off and be a parent. They just have to teach them manners... that's it. Then they wouldn't have to worry about their child wandering off. If that's what parents have been doing for 1000s of years then I'm 100% sure parents can keep doing it.
who are you so wise in the ways of parenthood? I'm guessing male, 22 or younger, no kids.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM

27,086 posts, read 18,528,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Interestingly I haven't seen a parent criticize the use of leashes yet, just a few un-parents. Hmm!

I still say C'est la vie!
No, alphamale did. He called it "dopes on a rope". Twice.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 AM

82,850 posts, read 95,330,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, alphamale did. He called it "dopes on a rope". Twice.
True, but I don't think I've seen a mom criticize them, and the most vociferous criticizers have been female non-moms.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,331,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Am I missing something? Are you really trying to say Disneyland is not an appropriate place for two year olds?

If I feel like I cant handle the 2 year old and in return have to leash them like an animal then no it isnt.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM

27,086 posts, read 18,528,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
If I feel like I cant handle the 2 year old and in return have to leash them like an animal then no it isnt.
Yet, tying them down in a stroller is oh so different? GMAB

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,331,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Yes, I believe she is. Because someone who cares about their child's "happiness" would leave her at home with a sitter instead of taking her to Disneyland. It makes perfect sense, right?

it does to me so thats all that matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or