U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,913,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I Heard that my older brother was kept on a leash...But there was a practical reason for it..My parents crossed the Atlantic ocean by ship...He was such a runner that he would have ended up in the drink if he was not tied up...If you are in a place where there are dangers..and your kid is highly active - it might be embarrassing - but you might have to do what you have to do to preserve the child's life...personally if my kid was so uncontrollable...I would NOT use a leash- I just would not take the little pecker head out till he matured.
Same here -- if my kid could not behave in a crowd, I wouldn't bring him to a crowd. I never tied up or caged my kids and they seem to be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM

15,341 posts, read 16,936,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Same here -- if my kid could not behave in a crowd, I wouldn't bring him to a crowd. I never tied up or caged my kids and they seem to be fine.
Using a leash is NOT tying up or caging a child.

Did you use a stroller? If so you were containing your child, just in a different way. For many toddlers who love to walk, the leash is preferable for them to sitting in a stroller.

Did you use a carrier or backpack? The backpack was my preferred mode of carrying my toddlers in crowded places, but not everyone can do that and there are toddlers who hate the backpack too.

Do YOU have a disabled child who is a wanderer who has trouble understanding why he needs to stay near you? If not, then you have no idea what this parent is going through.

Leashes can also be preferable to holding your child's hand to keep them safe. Hand holding places a toddlers arm in an awkward position and can lead to nursemaid's elbow if they are trying to yank away too hard.

In the end, stop looking down your nose at other people's parenting decisions. If you don't want to use a leash, then don't use one, but let those who wish to use them in peace.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Using a leash is NOT tying up or caging a child.

Did you use a stroller? If so you were containing your child, just in a different way. For many toddlers who love to walk, the leash is preferable for them to sitting in a stroller.

Did you use a carrier or backpack? The backpack was my preferred mode of carrying my toddlers in crowded places, but not everyone can do that and there are toddlers who hate the backpack too.

Do YOU have a disabled child who is a wanderer who has trouble understanding why he needs to stay near you? If not, then you have no idea what this parent is going through.

Leashes can also be preferable to holding your child's hand to keep them safe. Hand holding places a toddlers arm in an awkward position and can lead to nursemaid's elbow if they are trying to yank away too hard.

In the end, stop looking down your nose at other people's parenting decisions. If you don't want to use a leash, then don't use one, but let those who wish to use them in peace.
We're all entitled to our opinions -- not just you. I just commented that I never put leashes on my kids and they turned out fine, but I also did like the other poster I commented to that I didn't bring kids into crowds if they couldn't behave.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM

15,341 posts, read 16,936,233 times
Quote:
We're all entitled to our opinions -- not just you. I just commented that I never put leashes on my kids and they turned out fine, but I also did like the other poster I commented to that I didn't bring kids into crowds if they couldn't behave.
I don't care what you do. I do care if you are judging others who use leashes.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't care what you do. I do care if you are judging others who use leashes.
The OP put it in a form of a question -- so I said I never did.

As far a stroller, I never forced one to ride in one -- they could walk or ride or be carried - whichever they wanted. Maybe if I had a mentally disabled child I would -- since mine were not that, I wouldn't know for sure on that one.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM

28,116 posts, read 19,762,219 times
Quote:
Did your children have autism or ADHD?

My son does. He has gotten better but when he was younger he had MAJOR impuslivity and elopement issues. If I could only take him somewhere when he would "behave" (a subjective term to say the least) then we would never have left the house.

Why do you or anyone else care about people using leashes for their kids? BTW, I used cages too - they are called cribs and playpens.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM

19,918 posts, read 36,520,628 times
I used a halter and leash on our son, now age 40, when he was two and VERY active. This was back when it was very rare to do so. To those that said that it was "mean", I had a suggestion for them, which was to stand with their arm straight up in the air for an hour or so. (Strollers were not always practical or, in some cases, even possible, and at that time they were mostly the little umbrella strollers.) About a minute of them doing that made my point.

Without the leash, he'd have to hold my hand continually. With the leash, he was free to safely run around within a relatively constrained area around me (about 4 to 6 feet) to his heart's content. Which one would you choose, over arm, stroller, or relative freedom?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM

10,159 posts, read 9,389,066 times
Haha, I didn't even know that using harnesses was "controversial". How funny! With my first child, it wasn't even a consideration. She approached things tentatively, held my hand readily, and wasn't inquisitive. My little tornado, however, is the complete opposite -- doesn't care for handholding, inquisitive, fearless, and has a sense of wanderlust. Harnesses I believe were made for her

She likes to walk around like her sister and go where her sister goes. Why should I subject her to unnecessary confinement when I can simply use one of those backpack things and allow her to walk? (even though I would never have her free crossing the street or in any dangerous situations) When she gets older and the communication barrier decreases, harnesses won't be needed. But I see nothing wrong with them. If anything, I consider them an aid for parents of busy toddlers and special needs children everywhere.

If you look any anything a certain way, you can find fault with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,503,642 times
After the Jamie Bulger abduction in England 20 years ago the sale of child leashes sky-rocketed.

I'm just saying.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,197,895 times
I love these subjects that bring out the perfect parents...and all the others are lazy and can't control their child. lol
I used one on my very active son...he's now 30 and is a combat medic in the Army. I don't think he was harmed.
It gave him the freedom he needed and me the extra patience and arm to do what I needed to do.

My DIL even called to ask my opinion on them because her youngest daughter is a flight risk. I told her it was up to her but I understand the need/want of one. She decided against it but she didn't feel the need to put other's parenting choices down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or