U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:53 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,443,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My first two sons were nice, well behaved children. They listened to Mama, and stayed close. I would have never needed any type of leash on either one. Then, I birthed, "tornado boy". A completely different type of child, with different ways of thinking.

Those parents who have perfect children like my other kids probably think that "leash Moms" are really strange...
Good post!

I have to admit I read the first two sentences and rolled my eyes. I thought, "Oh, goodness. Here we come. My child is perfect. Why can't you be a good parent?" Then I hit "tornado boy" and had a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,094,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats another important point. just because something isnt for you or you prefer not to use it, doesnt mean it isnt good for other people. i also think this is something that looks worse to people without children than people with children.
I think I should just sticky this comment. It applies to so much here.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,562,641 times
I believe in them, and wish to heck I had used them when my ADHD daughter was little. Because a determined child can disappear in a flash.

But not all of them are body harnesses. I've seen some that buckle to the wrist only.

A few years ago an adventuresome, squirly little boy took off as his mother shopped, and he left the store and crossed a very busy street against traffic. It is an absolute miracle that he wasn't hit to smithereens. A citizen found him and took him to the police department; meanwhile, the store made a lockdown when his mother realized he was missing. A scary but happy ending, though.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,771,640 times
I haven't used them but if my adopted daughter came to us a bit earlier, I'm sure that I would have. There is nothing scarier than losing a small child in a big store which happened to me in our local Wal Mart. As long as it took me to release her hand to hang up a shirt, she was gone. Fortunately, they shut the store within minutes and she was found very close to the entrance where she had dashed to. She was a bit of a "tornado kid" and I'm sure that if she came to us at 18 months, I would be using a child leash. I would happily take the looks of wrath from other moms than go through what I did in that store.

My son on the other hand sticks very close, listens, and has never had the inclincation to wander from us.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM

22,827 posts, read 28,709,898 times
i also have every intention of keeping some kind of gps device on my daughter. i have done some searching but havent found the right product yet.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM

402 posts, read 1,211,469 times
Cool The leash is better than the lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
. . . you're trying to keep them from wandering or running off. . . what do you think of them? . . .
The leash is better than the lost.

I have seen several variations of these tethers.
Some look like a cute back pack with a lead and some are basically a belt, fanny pack, or wristlet with a leash. I have only seen them used on toddlers and pre-school aged children (18 months - 3-yrs-old) so I don't think that the kids are embarassed by them.

I have seen many children at crowded places like Disneyland, Sea World, museums, zoos, parades, and malls with these. They are a safe way to allow a very young child to walk a short distance from the parent/caregiver without allowing the toddler to wander away.

The child is alowed more freedom than holding hands, being carried, or being strapped into a stroller would allow. It seems like a logical step & a safe alternative for toddlers who want to walk, but are not old enough to walk alone.

I actually used one at amusement parks when my child was a toddler. I used a simple one that was meant to strap on both of our wrists. I strapped it to beltloops on both of our pants. We walked near each other with our hands free for taking pictures and eating. We both enjoyed the mobility.
So, the leash is better than the lost.

Check this out:
"In addition to the safety factor, the idea is for the parent to patiently teach the young child how to properly behave in public places. As the child's behavior improves, the leash can be lengthened, giving the child more and more freedom. The child learns, therefore, that responsible behavior and freedom go hand-in-hand. . . .Let's see. The child on a leash is safe, can't get lost, has more freedom than a child in a stroller, is happier than a child in a stroller, is getting more exercise than a child in a stroller and is learning how to behave himself in public places. . . ." John Rosemond, Child Psychologist
<http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/SE/20100324/NEWS01/3240313>

Last edited by Justin Time; 06-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: added a quote

Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,610,530 times
A friend of mine used one for awhile after a leg injury. She couldn't run and was worried about her son getting out of reach before she could do anything. BTW she didn't have a noticeable limp, so people wouldn't have realized why she was doing it.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 PM

85,077 posts, read 99,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've never used them but my mother used them!
Ditto! I was the oldest of two, 13 months apart. My mom used it on me when my brother was a baby. I had one, but seldom used it. My kids are 3 1/4 years apart, so the older one could listen and obey a little bit by the time the baby was born. A dr. I work with has twins, she used harnesses when they were tiny.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM

12,943 posts, read 19,885,336 times
My mother had 7 children, and swore by the harnesses. Way back when, my parents only had one car, which my father drove to work. My mother had to walk almost two miles to the grocery store, with a couple of kids in a wagon, and at least one child tethered. I never did it myself, but I understand why she needed to keep an eye on everyone. I personally strapped stroller constraints tightly.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM

991 posts, read 1,960,835 times
I have 4 children, and never used one...thought about it long and hard, but relented. Each situation is different...mine are 8, 7, 3, and 4 mos. My 3 year old (only boy) wanders, runs, skips, dances, walks, you name it. He gets warnings...stay by us, hold hands or hold the buggy or he has to go in it. It's worked so far, but I have days where if I could put them all in a buggy, I would. Grocery shopping in 100 degree heat with all 4 can make a sane person crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or