U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,624,399 times

Advertisements

Dogs are in baby carriages and kids are being pulled on dog leashes... what is this world coming to!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,381,925 times
I dont think I would use it just for the look of it. If my child is too young to go somewhere big like disneyworld and Im not comfortable with them walking at my side without wondering off then they have no business being there. Whats the point of taking a 2yo to somewhere like that anyway they arent going to remember it.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,520,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Whats the point of taking a 2yo to somewhere like that anyway they arent going to remember it.
Well for starters they might have an older one that would.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,280,813 times
I remember getting lost at Disney and getting in trouble for wandering off at the beach and dept stores(all these happened between the ages of 5 and 10). I wonder if my mom had put me on a leash when I was a toddler if I would have be more obedient?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Well for starters they might have an older one that would.

then you leave the younger one with relatives. Why risk one childs safety for anothers enjoyment.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM

991 posts, read 1,961,506 times
We're planning a Disney trip, but we want everyone to enjoy it, so we'll wait till everyone's old enough so it's not so stressful!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
then you leave the younger one with relatives. Why risk one childs safety for anothers enjoyment.
Risk one's safety? I really don't think Disney World is that huge of an issue. So what if some put their child on a leash in order to keep track of them and have a family vacation. A two year old might not remember it, but would most likely enjoy it. If I based everything we did when our son was little because he wouldn't remember it, we would probably have done nothing.

Video can also remind them later how much fun they had.

For the record, that sort of thing was never our sort of thing. We were more into camping, hiking, national parks, etc. But I can understand why some enjoy that and want to take the whole family. The things we did were probably bigger risks than Disney....

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Risk one's safety? I really don't think Disney World is that huge of an issue. So what if some put their child on a leash in order to keep track of them and have a family vacation. A two year old might not remember it, but would most likely enjoy it. If I based everything we did when our son was little because he wouldn't remember it, we would probably have done nothing.

Video can also remind them later how much fun they had.

For the record, that sort of thing was never our sort of thing. We were more into camping, hiking, national parks, etc. But I can understand why some enjoy that and want to take the whole family. The things we did were probably bigger risks than Disney....

If Disney World isnt that huge of an issue then you shouldnt feel the need to put a leash on a human being. Kids should not be treated like animals IMO buthey to each its own.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
buthey to each its own.
Exactly. We never had a need to use one with our son but I can completely understand why some people would find them useful.

Although I would hardly equate it to treating them like animals. Perhaps you should read back through the responses. For some it is/was a matter of keeping them safe doing everyday things - not just going to Disney.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM

28,117 posts, read 19,762,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Those leashes that some parents use on small children are really weird IMO.

On one hand, I understand you're trying to keep them from wandering or running off, but on the other hand, it kind of looks like the child is being treated like a dog with those leashes.

As parents, what do you think of them? I think they're stupid looking and must be embarrassing for the child.
I think they are practical and useful for many parents. As a matter of fact, I'd have one for my YDS if DH didn't object so much.

I don't see how they are any more "stupid looking" than a crib, highchair, bumbo, carseat, etc.

As for being "treated like a dog" what does that even mean? Are cribs the same as cages? Are baby carriers the same thing as a dog carrier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or