U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM

28,041 posts, read 19,719,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I can't speak on how they work, but all I know is, as a bystander, I feel sorry for the child in question because the leashes look totally stupid. Oh BTW kids on leashes can still mess things up in stores so really the leashes don't have much purpose. How about teaching your kids good behavior instead?
You really think parents should not do or use something because other people think it looks "totally stupid".

My YDS is on the autism spectrum. He is impulsive, fast, and hard to control. These are symptoms of his disorder and do not make him bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,356,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
If Disney World isnt that huge of an issue then you shouldnt feel the need to put a leash on a human being. Kids should not be treated like animals IMO buthey to each its own.
Have you seen how quickly a child can get separated from her parents in a crowd? These kids are small and can squeeze between people where you think there is no space. Besides that have you ever been in a crowded place and suddenly a surge of people come through and no matter how hard you try, you get separated from your group for a minute? The crowd goes through and you are reunited with your group. It happens very easily. When it is a small child that gets separated like that, they can get very scared and run and hide.

Again, I have never used one, but I can see why people would in certain situations.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
I seen this alot at disney. I'm confused however-- even with the child in the harness- it was as if the child was still dragging the parent?! I did not understand the purpose of them in these cases. Or the parents still pulling in the harness, child still having a fit on the ground. I'm on the fence- they may have a purpose- however- if you have a "difficult" child, it's counterproductive IMO.
A child can have a tantrum in a stroller or a carseat too. The purpose of the leash is to protect the child, not to prevent him from having tantrums.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,380,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Exactly. We never had a need to use one with our son but I can completely understand why some people would find them useful.

Although I would hardly equate it to treating them like animals. Perhaps you should read back through the responses. For some it is/was a matter of keeping them safe doing everyday things - not just going to Disney.

IDK maybe I just had a bad experiance and thats why im so turned off of them. I was in a department store and a woman was at the jewelry counter and her child about 2ish was playing around and started to run away she yanked the leash so hard the kid came flying back looked like he got whip lash. I just think they look horrible. I cant see myself using one but I dont have kids im pregnant so I guess its the same thing all experianced mothers tell me when I say Im gonna go natural for the birth. You cant say what you would do until you go through it.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats another important point. just because something isnt for you or you prefer not to use it, doesnt mean it isnt good for other people. i also think this is something that looks worse to people without children than people with children.
Completely agree!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,380,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Have you seen how quickly a child can get separated from her parents in a crowd? These kids are small and can squeeze between people where you think there is no space. Besides that have you ever been in a crowded place and suddenly a surge of people come through and no matter how hard you try, you get separated from your group for a minute? The crowd goes through and you are reunited with your group. It happens very easily. When it is a small child that gets separated like that, they can get very scared and run and hide.

Again, I have never used one, but I can see why people would in certain situations.

Well from what I understand you only use these leashes until the child is about 3. So if you had a 5 or 6 year old with you it would be possible to happen anyway.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
they're idiotic. your kid isn't an animal for goodness sake.
LOL!

Well, as a proud loving parent I can say that sometimes my kids can behave quite animal-like!

They have:

Run away and not stopped when called
Bit
Peed on the floor
Scratched

When my CF friends tell me about their dogs or cats, I always say that their pets sound suspiciously like my children.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
IDK maybe I just had a bad experiance and thats why im so turned off of them. I was in a department store and a woman was at the jewelry counter and her child about 2ish was playing around and started to run away she yanked the leash so hard the kid came flying back looked like he got whip lash. I just think they look horrible. I cant see myself using one but I dont have kids im pregnant so I guess its the same thing all experianced mothers tell me when I say Im gonna go natural for the birth. You cant say what you would do until you go through it.
Exactly.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Well from what I understand you only use these leashes until the child is about 3. So if you had a 5 or 6 year old with you it would be possible to happen anyway.
Yes, but a 5 or 6 year old is more equipped to handle something like that than a 2 or 3 year old.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I dont think I would use it just for the look of it. If my child is too young to go somewhere big like disneyworld and Im not comfortable with them walking at my side without wondering off then they have no business being there. Whats the point of taking a 2yo to somewhere like that anyway they arent going to remember it.
LOLOL! A two year old has no business being at Disney!?! OMG. Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or