Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
what is that? I've never heard of it.
As the posters above state, it's a dislocated elbow, named for when nannies would yank a kid's arm or pick him or her up by an arm. The tendons that hold the elbow in place aren't very strong in some kids, and their elbows easily dislocate a bit. It's painful. The first time it happened to our daughter was when she was two or three at daycare, and another kid pulled her hard by the hand while they were playing. It slipped out of joint easily after that, but like most kids who get this, she outgrew it in a couple years when the tendons got stronger.

I think a harness would be practical in such a case.

Edited: I just looked, and the problem is with the ligaments, not the tendons. I always forget which is which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
what is that? I've never heard of it.
It's a dislocated elbow. It can be painful, but is easily corrected unless it becomes chronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Their elbows get dislocated easily. Our son had it as well. We learned how to pop it back in ourselves.
After the first couple times we learned the technique and it definitely works. Unfortunately hers kept happening and we ended up having to have some tests done. They found that everything was OK structurally, but her one ligament was stretched and she ended up in a cast for 8 weeks to let it heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a dislocated elbow joint from a parent pulling a child's arm.
Not always from pulling their arm. The first time it happened to my daughter was playing on the playground. She hung from the monkey bars and it popped out. That one was a trip to the pediatrician. The second time was a tug on her arm and happened within a week of the original dislocation. Back to the pediatrician. The third time happened 3 months later when I was holding her hand and she tripped. Back to the pediatrician and hello leash.

All of those incidents were with her right arm. However, almost a year after that she started having an issue with her left. The left popped out the first time when she was climbing and slipped. That one we set ourselves. All was fine for a couple months and then she pulled it out tugging on a toy her brother had, again we set it ourselves. A few days later we don't know what she did, but it was out again and I couldn't get it back in. Off to urgent care and they got it back in.

A couple days later she was dancing and swungher arm around and I watched her wince and grab her arm, yep it was out again, just from swinging it. This time we headed off to the ortho center at AI Dupont and had her checked out. The doctor there got it back in, but he could feel something wasn't right. They sent her for an MRI and discovered that her ligament in the left elbow was stretched and not holding the otherwise healthy joint together strongly enough.

She ended up in a cast for 8 weeks to let it heal fully and has been fine since. Though I often hold my breath anytime she's really using her arm like on the playground on playing with her siblings. Everyone in the family knows, don't pull her arm or face mom and dad's wrath.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
my daughter is 16 months now. she likes to wander around and doesnt always like to listen to our commands. she is also incredibly cute. when i take her out by my house i generally dont put it on her. when we walk around more near the street, ill put it on her. i consider the most important places to be where there are lots of people walking around like the mall. i could easily lose sight of her or someone could take her. i own nothing that has a tiny fraction of the importance to me as her. if my house burned down with all our stuff and my cat and dog, it still would have no impact on me compared to losing my daughter. i keep my wallet in my back pocket and regularly tap it to make sure its still there. my daughter is like walking around with a suitcase with $10 million cash in it, if it takes a harness with a leash to give me more security i dont think thats too much.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
... undignified for who? the parent or the child? I don't know what child is or needs to be "dignified."

Related to DIGNIFIED
Synonyms: august, distingué, distinguished, imposing, portly, solemn, staid, stately
Antonyms: flighty, frivolous, giddy, goofy, silly, undignified

I'd rather my child be goofy and silly than dignified.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM

469 posts, read 1,327,745 times
I seen this alot at disney. I'm confused however-- even with the child in the harness- it was as if the child was still dragging the parent?! I did not understand the purpose of them in these cases. Or the parents still pulling in the harness, child still having a fit on the ground. I'm on the fence- they may have a purpose- however- if you have a "difficult" child, it's counterproductive IMO.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
I never had one. Before I had dd, I thought they were silly looking and couldn't understand why anyone would use those things. Why don't they just learn to control their kids better? After I had dd, I realized that they had good practical uses.

If I had taken DD to Disney World when she was 2ish, I probably would have used one. That would have been so we could relax a bit more and have some fun. They can be useful to keep them close in large crowds and you don't have to worry as much about getting separated.

My opinion of them changed a lot after I had my own kid and realized what all can go into an outing to crowded places.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
I don't agree with everything that John Rosemond (the parenting "expert") writes but I think he summed up my feelings about leashes pretty well....esp the last paragraph

Parenting: Child-leashes are liberating, not demeaning | The News-Sentinel - Fort Wayne IN

Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
I seen this alot at disney. I'm confused however-- even with the child in the harness- it was as if the child was still dragging the parent?! I did not understand the purpose of them in these cases. Or the parents still pulling in the harness, child still having a fit on the ground. I'm on the fence- they may have a purpose- however- if you have a "difficult" child, it's counterproductive IMO.
Having worked at Disneyland I can tell you I've seen a lot of kids on leashes. Most of the time they are used to keep the little ones from running off into a crowd. Child sees Mickey Mouse on Main Street and takes off. Boom! From Mickey Mouse it's one step into a shop which connects to another shop and then a lost child has been reported.

As far as the child having a fit on the ground, that can happen with ANY child at Disneyland. The excitement meter goes up and the best-behaved child has turned into Captain Hook.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
It is to maintain a physical connection with the child while still allowing the child freedom of movement and the ability to walk (or run) on his own two feet. In crowded situations, it takes less than a second for a child to be swooped up by a stranger and stolen from its parents. It takes less than a second for a child to place himself out of sigh and out of reach of a parent. The harness (the word "leash" is probably what makes people so fidgety about the idea) is an effective, simple, inexpensive method of promoting that real, tangent connection that isn't easily broken. A kidnapper who sees a child tethered, and one untethered, is more likely to pick the untethered one. Also, a victim, about to cross into the path of child-with-icecream-cone, is more likely to make contact with icecream-running-free than icecream-on-tether. It's not foolproof, but it's a whole lot better than nothing. Especially in crowded situations.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Shoot, I kind of wish my kids had harnesses with handles on the back when they were little, so I could pick them up like luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting