Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I used to think that leashes were for animals. Now I think why wouldn't you give your kids as much protection as you'd give a dog? What changed my mind? When dd was about 2 1/2 she decided to play hide and seek in a clothing store. The entire mall was on lock down by the time we found her. She had crawled up into a clothing rack and was waiting for me to find her.
I did that! When I came out of the clothing rack, my mother was GONE (looking for me).

I went to a sales clerk and was taken to the security office.

I'm sure lollypops were involved.

I'd say I was separated from my mother for a half hour.

She was more traumatized than I was. To me, it was an adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,067,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You really think parents should not do or use something because other people think it looks "totally stupid".

My YDS is on the autism spectrum. He is impulsive, fast, and hard to control. These are symptoms of his disorder and do not make him bad.
good thing I don't give a flying rat what these posters think!

Quote:
:: puke::
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Interesting. That is the same reaction I had when I read that. Hmm.
ditto. I thought it was common knowledge that every child is a unique individual. I don't know why people think they all behave the same.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,844,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
ditto. I thought it was common knowledge that every child is a unique individual. I don't know why people think they all behave the same.
Exactly. Show me 2 adults that behave exactly the same. For some reason people forget that kids are people. No 2 are alike.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
good thing I don't give a flying rat what these posters think!
pretty soon after my daughter was born, i learned that everyone has their own opinions on what you should do and most of them are idiots. especially the ones who actually try to tell you their opinions instead of keeping it to themselves. you also realize lots of people are judging everything you do. my mother's boyfriend is a moron who never had a child and he is judging everything we do with my daughter. so you quickly learn to ignore people's opinions because you will go crazy if you care.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,324,709 times
Quote:
A child can have a tantrum in a stroller or a carseat too. The purpose of the leash is to protect the child, not to prevent him from having tantrums.
true. But you can go ahead with life and ignore the tantrum. If they are on the leash-- pulling, kicking, screaming and you then what?! It's not like a parent is going to drag them as they have a tantrum. If you are going to wait it out with them then do so without having them harnessed to anything.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM

469 posts, read 1,324,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My wife and I never needed the use of them.

Our children were well behaved, because WE took charge.

We used to call them "dopes on a rope".
AGREE 100% granted- I understand that there are clearly difficult children regardless of parenting tactics used. And I do have my "issues" as a mother but when I say hold my hand- that's what's gonna happen. Period. When we are in a grocery store they stay by me and the cart. The expectations were set in toddlerhood. I am truely blessed with well-behaved children. Whether it's nature or nurture-- IDK? But part of it is because my husband and I have a united front and let our kids know how it's gonna be. It has to count for something.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,992,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
AGREE 100% granted- I understand that there are clearly difficult children regardless of parenting tactics used. And I do have my "issues" as a mother but when I say hold my hand- that's what's gonna happen. Period. When we are in a grocery store they stay by me and the cart. The expectations were set in toddlerhood. I am truely blessed with well-behaved children. Whether it's nature or nurture-- IDK? But part of it is because my husband and I have a united front and let our kids know how it's gonna be. It has to count for something.
I believe it's nurture.

Neither of our children would run off or misbehave in public.

We baby sat my cousins two daughters (2 and 4 yrs old). They were a handful when at home under their parents supervision. They were actually worried that we couldn't handle them.

Hah!

We had absolutely NO problem with them.

I guess they respond to your reaction to them.

No "dope on a rope" needed!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,371,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
And what happens when you have more kids than hands? Or your hands are otherwise occupied?

I understand people not using the leashes/harnesses/reins...fine - you don't have a need for them don't use them no one is asking you to. BUT. Why the looking down your noses at other people who are just trying to manage the best they can? Can they be misused or overused? Sure - as can just about anything. An active child might actually be better behaved as well as happier with a harness rather than strapped into a stroller. Strollers can take up lots of room and be difficult to maneuver in certain circumstances - or just not practical for the situation. Busy airports and other transit stations while traveling is what comes to mind here. A small child who has sat still for several hours on an airplane only to have a layover of a few hours needs to be able to stretch his/her little legs.

And as far as not taking a 2 yr old to Disney? You sometimes take the opportunity as it arises. It may not always be perfect. Not everyone has family nearby to just keep the little one while you entertain the older one(s).

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I believe it's nurture.

Neither of our children would run off or misbehave in public.

We baby sat my cousins two daughters (2 and 4 yrs old). They were a handful when at home under their parents supervision. They were actually worried that we couldn't handle them.

Hah!

We had absolutely NO problem with them.

I guess they respond to your reaction to them.

No "dope on a rope" needed!

I think putting a kid in a harness and letting them explore a few feet in front of you with both hands available is preferable to forcing them to hold your hand and, in some cases, pulling their elbow out of the socket. You can have an opinion, but the arrogance isn't needed. You are no better a parent than I am. I honestly don't see why it would bother someone to see a kid with a "leash" attached. It's just not a big deal. I could go the judgmental route too and say I must care about my child's safety more than you do

What's worse is that this thread was started by someone who claims they will never be a parent, and most likely doesn't care what any of us think anyway.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 PM

MM you just reminded me of the 3rd place I used one

1) parade
2) top of a cliff
3) AIRPORT when I had a 1 year old in a stroller, a 3 year old with the little bear backpack harness, carry on bag for all 3 of us, and no other adult to help me.

now I will wait for someone to tell me I shouldn't have been flying alone with 2 kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting