Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,409,136 times

Advertisements

And what is it with tweezers? And how come only the good ones go missing? I used to hide mine in the downstairs powder room, underneath the clean towels and extra TP (guaranteed safe under the extra TP since NO ONE will put the new roll on anyway, they'll just use tissues and hope someone else changes the roll - which will of course be...you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,847,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's those dang opposable thumbs!

I never used a harness, but I'll admit that a shock collar has crossed my mind once or twice. I am a MEAN MOM.

I found my good tweezers today, by the way. Little Miss I Didn't Do It I Swear had them.

ZAP!
I am telling you that you have to hide those things. Tuck them into a pair of socks in your drawer. They won't think to look for them there.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,633,944 times
We have the same size feet and she takes my socks. I'm leaning toward the TP idea.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,540,180 times
DH thinks the good tweezers make excellent screwdrivers in a pinch, and they always seem to have one skew edge.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,633,944 times
: rage face :

Back on topic: I'm neutral on leashes.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,110,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Am I missing something? Are you really trying to say Disneyland is not an appropriate place for two year olds?
Yes, I believe she is. Because someone who cares about their child's "happiness" would leave her at home with a sitter instead of taking her to Disneyland. It makes perfect sense, right?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,460,428 times
You never know what kind of issues kids have that make it dangerous for them not to be tethered to their parents when brought out in public. Some children have disabilities that renders them unable to control themselves and stay near their parents like "normal" children. I have a friend who has a rare terminal brain disease in addition to having a child who is autistic w/ wandering tendencies. This mentally disabled 6 year old BOLTS at any and every opportunity. He's a nightmare to take anywhere and I've seen this poor mother SOB because his wandering is so taxing on her already fragile state. The boy needs a leash so she can go to the grocery store without him running out the front.

Ultimately, parents should do what's logical and right for their own children and refrain from making snap judgments on others who do things differently. Don't want to use a leash? Fine. But don't judge someone else's decision especially if they are strangers. You never know when you are judging people who really don't deserve it - they could be disabled people trying to do their best (like my dying friend with a wandering autistic kid). In other words, mind your own business.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,409,136 times
Oh yeah...leashes.

My mom used one "back in the day" when she was traveling overseas with 2 children under 5. I used one (the wrist band kind) a few times. Not often but once in awhile it was just the best thing for everyone involved. Didn't seem to bother the kids at all. They didn't start barking and asking for their meals in a stainless steel dish on the floor or anything. They seem to have grown up without any ill effects too.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,540,180 times
Interestingly I haven't seen a parent criticize the use of leashes yet, just a few un-parents. Hmm!

I still say C'est la vie!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,847,488 times
rkb made a good point a few pages ago. We have seen many reasons why parents woould use them, but no good reasons not to use them. I was actually kind of hoping someone would come up with a reason why they should not be used. Does anyone have any ideas?

ETA: by the way, I think the poll question was missing at least one possible answer: I don't use them but see why others might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting