U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 PM

991 posts, read 1,050,888 times

Advertisements

Can we please stop inserting DOGS or other pets into conversations about children, as if there is any parallel or equivalent!? The tendency to do so by those without children is clear evidence that they have no idea what parenting entails, financially, time-wise, personally or emotionally, to compare having a freakin' dog to a son or daughter!

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,161,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Can we please stop inserting DOGS or other pets into conversations about children, as if there is any parallel or equivalent!? The tendency to do so by those without children is clear evidence that they have no idea what parenting entails, financially, time-wise, personally or emotionally, to compare having a freakin' dog to a son or daughter!

Rant over.

Umm... yes, we do have an idea. That's why we chose the dogs.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM

2,657 posts, read 6,846,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Umm... yes, we do have an idea. That's why we chose the dogs.
Why Dogs Are Better Than Kids
(An ode to my five pupsters)

It does not take 45 minutes to get a dog ready to go outside in the winter.
Dogs don't care if the peas have touched the mashed potatoes.
The average cost of sending a dog to school: $42. Average cost to send a kid: $103,000.
Dogs are housebroken by the time they are 12 weeks old.
You don't need an extra phone line for a dog.
Dogs never resist a nap.
Dogs can not lie.
No "Generation Gap".
Dogs often wag their tails after getting shots.
Your dog is not embarrassed if you sing in public.
If your dog turns out bad, your genes are not blamed.
Dogs don't like Barney.
Never borrows the car and wrecks it.
Doesn't notice if your clothes are dorky and your hairstyle is from the 50's
Won't grow up to blame you for sending them into years of therapy
Cute little puppies grow up to be dogs. Cute little babies grow up to be teenagers.
You can give them dippy names.
They never criticize your cooking.
Nothing you do can gross them out.
You can bury a dog in the backyard, no questions asked.
With babies, you don't have a choice of breeds or bloodlines.
It's permitted - indeed encouraged - to render your puppy sterile at an early age.
You can have sex in front of your dogs without scarring them for life.
It's OK to call your dog 'b.itch'. Which is better than having your human children do it to you.
Drug-sniffing dog=GOOD. Drug-sniffing teen=BAD
Little love dog will keep you warm at night without crying or asking for anything.
They are the welcoming committee when you get home. Tails are wagging and they are jumping up and down. Try and get that much reaction from a sullen teenager.
They are grateful for any food that they get. No fussy eaters here.
They follow you around with the utmost loyalty.
They are the built in door bell and will always let you know if someone is even in the vicinity of your home.
And when you are not there, the ears are lifted in high alert for when you return. You come home to a faithful friend who is waiting for you.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 PM

991 posts, read 1,050,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Why Dogs Are Better Than Kids
(An ode to my five pupsters)
It does not take 45 minutes to get a dog ready to go outside in the winter.
Dogs don't care if the peas have touched the mashed potatoes.
The average cost of sending a dog to school: $42. Average cost to send a kid: $103,000.
Dogs are housebroken by the time they are 12 weeks old.
You don't need an extra phone line for a dog.
Dogs never resist a nap.
Dogs can not lie.
No "Generation Gap".
Dogs often wag their tails after getting shots.
Your dog is not embarrassed if you sing in public.
If your dog turns out bad, your genes are not blamed.
Dogs don't like Barney.
Never borrows the car and wrecks it.
Doesn't notice if your clothes are dorky and your hairstyle is from the 50's
Won't grow up to blame you for sending them into years of therapy
Cute little puppies grow up to be dogs. Cute little babies grow up to be teenagers.
You can give them dippy names.
They never criticize your cooking.
Nothing you do can gross them out.
You can bury a dog in the backyard, no questions asked.
With babies, you don't have a choice of breeds or bloodlines.
It's permitted - indeed encouraged - to render your puppy sterile at an early age.
You can have sex in front of your dogs without scarring them for life.
It's OK to call your dog 'b.itch'. Which is better than having your human children do it to you.
Drug-sniffing dog=GOOD. Drug-sniffing teen=BAD
Little love dog will keep you warm at night without crying or asking for anything.
They are the welcoming committee when you get home. Tails are wagging and they are jumping up and down. Try and get that much reaction from a sullen teenager.
They are grateful for any food that they get. No fussy eaters here.
They follow you around with the utmost loyalty.
They are the built in door bell and will always let you know if someone is even in the vicinity of your home.

And when you are not there, the ears are lifted in high alert for when you return. You come home to a faithful friend who is waiting for you.
Thank you for proving my point. This is why dogs are nothing like kids and have no place in a comparative context.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 PM

2,657 posts, read 6,846,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Thank you for proving my point. This is why dogs are nothing like kids and have no place in a comparative context.
And this is why it is absurd to put a childfree thread in a parenting forum.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:39 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,272,963 times
Perhaps we should move the thread to "pets?"

Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 AM

25,907 posts, read 33,833,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
And this is why it is absurd to put a childfree thread in a parenting forum.
It's the most appropriate forum for it, just as "I don't ever want to get married" would go in Relationships or "I don't want to own a car" would go in Automotive.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM

7,902 posts, read 8,379,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's the most appropriate forum for it, just as "I don't ever want to get married" would go in Relationships or "I don't want to own a car" would go in Automotive.
I do wonder why so many of them come here expecting to have their choices validated.

Is the societal pressure to reproduce that bad? I am male so perhaps I didn't perceive it as being so oppressive. Plus I always wanted kids anyway.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM

5,142 posts, read 10,882,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Is the societal pressure to reproduce that bad? I am male so perhaps I didn't perceive it as being so oppressive. Plus I always wanted kids anyway.
It can be depending on the circle of company someone is around. Maybe somewhere in the US where many individuals stay in their hometowns and generations of families stay, there is a pressure to continue the family tree. I think it's a different kind of pressure when someone is female compared to a male. What's interesting is that my husband gets more flak from his male friends than I do from anyone else. It is usually females on the receiving end of comments. Childfree poster here.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM

25,907 posts, read 33,833,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I do wonder why so many of them come here expecting to have their choices validated.

I popped 'em out young so I don't have experience with it, either. I do admit to once asking my husband's newly married cousin and his wife (late 20s?) if they were having kids soon. I didn't mean anything by it ... I was just making small talk. Later I realized that was probably a thoughtless comment. I would never harp on it like some of the people our posters seem to encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or