Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It depends on the nature of her job. She's doing shift work, and the very few details that she's given, gives me a sense that she might be working retail or call center or other customer service work. If it's retail or direct c-serv, then the boss needs to know he can rely on his crew.
If the boss already has given her vacation time this week, then he needs to know she can be relied on -not- to ask for more time off this week. The shift has to be covered, and every time one person doesn't show up, someone else has to do their own job and the job of whoever isn't there. One cashier has to serve the customers of two cashiers; one burger-flipper has to flip enough burgers for two burger-flippers. One waitress has to double up on tables, etc. etc. etc. This can not only cause resentment (she already HAS a vacation, and now she wants another day too? The nerve! is what her co-workers will think), but it makes the boss hesitant to pick her for the better hours in the future, because he'll think she's just going to try and get out of them anyway.
That's it exactly. I work in customer service and if I am late for my shift, especially around lunch time, this put more strain and workload on my colleagues' shoulders. Plus I already have the vacation time coming up (too bad it couldn't be bumped up earlier to include Monday but it is what it is).

The more I think about this situation, the more I'm thinking of emailing my supervisor tomorrow and asking if it would be a problem if I was let's say 30-60 mins late to attend my sister's ceremony and then surprise everyone in my family and just show up to the event, but leaving before the lunch.
It would put a strain on my relationship with my supervisor and colleagues though and I do realize work commitments come first. More likely than not however is the scenario where I'll be sleeping when the ceremony starts, just do my usual morning routine and go to work as if it were a regular Monday.

Still, I'm torn about what to do and what to do, there are so many suggestions and I actually agree with several viewpoints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm sure she means lunch, and I'm sure mom wants it Monday because of the boyfriend's parents. I'm also pretty sure mom is trying to create the picture of a close, happy family for boyfriend's parents. I'm also pretty sure this is not a close happy family, or the OP would be attending at least the graduation, if not lunch. They should do something to celebrate when dad is back in town and the OP is available, and forget about trying to impress the boyfriend's family.
I think you are right.

And I also think it is a control thing with the OP.

Family. Gotta love em!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
That's it exactly. I work in customer service and if I am late for my shift, especially around lunch time, this put more strain and workload on my colleagues' shoulders. Plus I already have the vacation time coming up (too bad it couldn't be bumped up earlier to include Monday but it is what it is).

The more I think about this situation, the more I'm thinking of emailing my supervisor tomorrow and asking if it would be a problem if I was let's say 30-60 mins late to attend my sister's ceremony and then surprise everyone in my family and just show up to the event, but leaving before the lunch.
It would put a strain on my relationship with my supervisor and colleagues though and I do realize work commitments come first. More likely than not however is the scenario where I'll be sleeping when the ceremony starts, just do my usual morning routine and go to work as if it were a regular Monday.

Still, I'm torn about what to do and what to do, there are so many suggestions and I actually agree with several viewpoints
Decide what you want to do and if you want to go, see if you can get off work. If you can't, you can't. If you can, then go and enjoy.

If you don't want to go, that is your choice. There is no right or wrong. It's up to you whether you want to attend or not. Your decision is the right choice.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Uh oh...I just checked my cell phone and guess what? A missed call from none other than my mom!
Her voicemail was not about Monday, it was about tomorrow. She asked if I wanted to go appliance shopping with her. She doesn't think the used fridge+stove I bought last year are worth moving to another apartment. If I say yes, I'm sure she'll corner and pressure me into the Monday event.
She's expecting a call back tomorrow.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Uh oh...I just checked my cell phone and guess what? A missed call from none other than my mom!
Her voicemail was not about Monday, it was about tomorrow. She asked if I wanted to go appliance shopping with her. She doesn't think the used fridge+stove I bought last year are worth moving to another apartment. If I say yes, I'm sure she'll corner and pressure me into the Monday event.
Is she going to try to bribe you with appliances??? Appliances don't come with your rental???

Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
The chicks are out of the nest. Your mom needs to get a job.

Last edited by JustJulia; 06-19-2011 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: It's against the TOS to call someone a troll.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Stop being passive aggressive! Stop being avoidant! Grow a pair! Speak up!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Is she going to try to bribe you with appliances??? Appliances don't come with your rental???
What do you mean is she going to bribe me? She thinks my choice of appliances (I bought them last year for $400 for the pair) was bad and she wants to help pay for newer ones. And no, appliances don't come with the rental.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Quote:
What do you mean is she going to bribe me? She thinks my choice of appliances (I bought them last year for $400 for the pair) was bad and she wants to help pay for newer ones. And no, appliances don't come with the rental.
And in a previous post you said "She asked if I wanted to go appliance shopping with her".

The header of your post shouldn't read "demanding mom", it should read "controlling mom".

Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Here it is down front, say to your mom, my appliances are in fine working order and I don't want or need to buy new ones. Key to the whole thing, sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to say the word, NO to those you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting