U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times

Advertisements

AnnaNomus...I agree completely!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM

27,248 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Exactly. I don't think anyone is implying that the doctor is a perv. I think it was pretty insensitive and unnecessary to examine a small child like that, without explanation, when it has never been done before.

The thought of the little girl crying and trying to hold her legs shut and the doctor forcing them apart and looking anyway is very, very disturbing to me. This wasn't life or death, and it seems totally uncalled for to traumatize a little girl like that. I don't see how Mom didn't speak up and say NO.
I agree that the whole thing sounded tramautic for the little girl. I hope this doesn't color her view of all doctors' for future visits.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
On a five year old.....yeh he's a class 1 creep!!!
OMG he is a DOCTOR! His job is to examine the child to see if everything looks as it should. The private parts are part of the body that needs examining. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't look. With your logic, every OBGYN out there is a perv too.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
What are you saying...you don't know if everything looks as it should?...Comparing an adult woman who's going to have a baby to a perfectly healthy little 5 year old is rediculous.......I was NEVER examined like that as a child....and none of my 4 children ever were and most certainly none of my grandchildren will go through such unnecessary humiliation just because the man is a doctor.......

Last edited by purehuman; 06-22-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
What are you saying...you don't know if everything looks as it should?...Comparing an adult woman who's going to have a baby to a perfectly healthy little 5 year old is rediculous.......I was NEVER examined like that as a child....and none of my 4 children ever were and most certainly none of my grandchildren will go through such unnecessary humiliation just because the man is a doctor.
No, I was actually thinking more of an annual exam, not a pregnant woman. I don't know... maybe you skip your own well visits too... Yes, Doctors have permission to look at private parts. My son saw a urologist the other day, and I made sure he knew it was ok because it was a doctor and I was in the room.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times
AnnaNomus and PurHuman,

I think you two have misunderstood all this. No doctor is forcing anybodies legs apart and examining any child the way you two seems to think. I am not sure where you get these ideas.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Exactly. I don't think anyone is implying that the doctor is a perv. I think it was pretty insensitive and unnecessary to examine a small child like that, without explanation, when it has never been done before.

The thought of the little girl crying and trying to hold her legs shut and the doctor forcing them apart and looking anyway is very, very disturbing to me. This wasn't life or death, and it seems totally uncalled for to traumatize a little girl like that. I don't see how Mom didn't speak up and say NO.
um, I don't recall reading that that's how it happened. At all. The OP called it a "quick look."

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hopefully Kat will jump in here regarding what her practice does, but most doctors do a cursory check as part of a well-check. As far as I remember they are looking for signs of poor hygiene, warts, thrush, incontinence, and in boys they add the testicular check. It's amazing what some parents do not know about their children's nether regions.
Yes, our docs take a quick look. They do a breast exam on the older girls; will call in a nurse if the mom isn't there. They discuss testicular exams with the older boys.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I was in the room with her. So were my husband and my older daughter, since we didn't know anything that personal was going to be examined.

My daughter was not comfortable with it at all and told the doctor she didn't want to be looked at there, and tried to hold her legs shut. I should have asked what the doctor was checking for...but sometimes I have a way of being too bossy and offending doctors and I was trying not to do that with this one

My husband thinks maybe the doctor was checking for signs of abuse; since my daughter was so upset about having to undress for the exam, maybe the doctor thought that was a sign of a problem. Personally I don't think modesty is a bad thing and I haven't tried to discourage it.
This post from the OP is what made me believe the doctor had to force her legs apart, and in an earlier post the OP stated that the little girl cried when asked to remove just her undershirt. So it appears, to me, that this was a very humiliating, and very unnecessary, experience for this little girl to go through.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Yes. The Dr always talked thru it about exactly what he/she was doing and it was always very quick. Something you should all know is that they can catch signs of sexual abuse this way too, as well as infections and abnormalities, so I have no idea why anyone would be against it. Thinking your Dr is a perv makes me think you aren't very intelligent or have some crazy sexual issues yourself. Nothing should ever be FORCED but kids have to learn not to be shy around a Dr or they are in for trouble as they get older.

Once when my son was about 8-9 a new Dr couldn't get him to let her check him out and she explained to me what to look for and to try to check myself. I never did but he is 20 and I assume it's all ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting