U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times

Advertisements

Do pediatricians usually check the genitals at a well-child checkup? My 5 year old daughter went to a checkup today and the doctor (one we hadn't seen before for a checkup) had my daughter pull her underpants down, then used a gloved hand to take a quick look, front and back.

The pediatrician we went to before our move never checked anything that required underpants coming off, at least not once the kids were out of diapers. My daughter is very modest (she cried when they told her she had to take off her undershirt) and I wasn't expecting anything like this, so I didn't think to prepare her for it.

Is this a standard thing for the doc to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,135,227 times
I never ever ever heard of this so I called my sister to ask. She has two daughters around the same age. When she takes them to a check up the pediatrician will ask to take off their underpants to look but never place hands on their genitals or pull apart legs or buttocks to inspect. It is very quick. I know when I take Toddler X to his checkups they only checked his penis twice and that was to inspect because he is not circumsised.

Where you in the room with her?

Actually I noticed you are in SA Texas! Let me DM you!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

991 posts, read 1,952,952 times
Never had it done on my girls! They are 8 and 7, and they've never been checked that way. So, it's not normal for us...knowing me, I would've asked what they were checking for.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,966,625 times
Some doctors do and some don't. My DD's regular pediatrician has never checked her genitals, but once I took her to a different doctor because I thought she had an ear infection and she couldn't get in right away at her other doctor. Even though it was just her ear that was bothering her, the doctor did a full exam, including her privates, although she didn't touch. I asked her why and she said since my DD was a new patient, she wanted to check everything. She did very nicely explain to my DD that no one else should ever touch or look there, but I didn't think it was necessary to examine her like that in the first place, especially since the complaint was her ear, not anything below that. Maybe the whole full examination was just for the insurance money or whatever the reason, but I never took her back there again.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
I was in the room with her. So were my husband and my older daughter, since we didn't know anything that personal was going to be examined.

My daughter was not comfortable with it at all and told the doctor she didn't want to be looked at there, and tried to hold her legs shut. I should have asked what the doctor was checking for...but sometimes I have a way of being too bossy and offending doctors and I was trying not to do that with this one

My husband thinks maybe the doctor was checking for signs of abuse; since my daughter was so upset about having to undress for the exam, maybe the doctor thought that was a sign of a problem. Personally I don't think modesty is a bad thing and I haven't tried to discourage it.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:34 PM

706 posts, read 1,476,503 times
My boys are always checked during their annual exams. Last exam at 11yo the doc talked to him about testicular cancer.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:42 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
I have boys and their doc does a quick visual check. He is really good about saying what he is about to do and why. That is one of the things I like about him.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I should have asked what the doctor was checking for...but sometimes I have a way of being too bossy and offending doctors and I was trying not to do that with this one
NEVER be afraid of being an advocate for your daughter. If you are uncomfortable or confused... ASK! Speak up. My family has dealt with a lot of illness and a lot of doctors. I've always said, I don't care if they write Mother is a B---- on the front of his file. I spoke up for my children and I spoke up for my parents when the were ill and couldn't do it themselves.

I've met doctors I wanted to bestow sainthood upon. And I've met doctors I wouldn't let in the hospital room. Literally.

This is something I'm pretty passionate about.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,033,838 times
My twins are only three- doctor checked until they were two years old, but not at the three year well-check, even though my boy is still in diapers. We always have the same doctor though.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 PM

530 posts, read 958,905 times
I have girls and have been to several pediatricians in two different states who have done a quick check under the underwear during well checks. They have pulled them down slightly while my child lays on the table. I haven't had a pediatrician pull the undies all the way off or request that, except for one case where they were looking to see if there were any urinary tract abnormalities. I thought it was a standard check to look for signs of infection and that sort of thing. Plus unfortunately some kids are abused without the parents even knowing, so I suppose doctors are trained to look for abuse as well. The doctors we have been to have been discreet about it and quite fast, so it hasn't bothered me or our girls. This doctor you went to may have crossed the line a little with the full drop of the underwear and the touching. I think that would bother my girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting