Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM

219 posts, read 334,073 times

Advertisements

my dd1 is 3yrs old and she's been potty trained since she was 1.5yrs old. She just started going to the bathroom on her own w/o telling anyone this april(her bday month) but lately she's been peeing on herself. Not all the time but today she peed and last week she pooped, so i called my mother and asked her what could be wrong and she made me cry by yelling. " We'll Hun you're never home you work 5-7xs a week, and your husband watches them but he dont really pay them any attention. She probably missing her mother and the attention she was getting before you went back to work full-time." I started crying the minute she said those words because i was afraid something like this would happen.could she really be acting out because she misses me? everytime i leave at night she does ask me where am i going and why do i have to go work. (i work 7p-7a). I keep telling myself that im only working so many hours until june of next year because im trying to save for our family move 1200miles away. If you ladies say she may be acting out its going to hurt my heart because then i have to make some changes at work and home because my DH is an ok SAHD but there's nothing like mommy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I think she is having accidents, maybe playing or thinking about something else and not noticing that she needs to use the bathroom until it is too late. your mom has her ideas but I think she is all wet sure your kid misses you. most kids do miss their parent when they are at day care. your kid has her dad around which many kids don't. if you want to try to explain to your daughter more about working. get her a book on the time with clocks and moveable hands. try to show her the times you will be or a way for her to figure out the time until you get back. try to explain why you work even if it means telling her you work so you can pay for food, cookies, treats and that sort of thing. give her as much attention as you can when you are there. it is about quality not quanity

Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
Do not let your mother guilt you about working! It's paid employment, for heaven's sake.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I think she is having accidents, maybe playing or thinking about something else and not noticing that she needs to use the bathroom until it is too late. your mom has her ideas but I think she is all wet sure your kid misses you. most kids do miss their parent when they are at day care. your kid has her dad around which many kids don't. if you want to try to explain to your daughter more about working. get her a book on the time with clocks and moveable hands. try to show her the times you will be or a way for her to figure out the time until you get back. try to explain why you work even if it means telling her you work so you can pay for food, cookies, treats and that sort of thing. give her as much attention as you can when you are there. it is about quality not quanity
no she wasnt playing she was just sitting on the porch.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,301 times
Well you said that she just started going without anyone telling her to, maybe she isn't ready for that yet. Maybe she still needs reminders. My DS was like that, potty trained early but once he got to preschool and the teachers assumed he would go when he needed to, he started having accidents. She is probably just busy playing and forgets or doesn't want to stop what she is doing to go to the potty. Did you just start working or have you been working since she was a baby? If you've been doing this all along, I can't imagine that she is doing it because of that. What is your reaction when she has accidents? I hope that you don't yell at her or make her feel bad.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Well you said that she just started going without anyone telling her to, maybe she isn't ready for that yet. Maybe she still needs reminders. My DS was like that, potty trained early but once he got to preschool and the teachers assumed he would go when he needed to, he started having accidents. She is probably just busy playing and forgets or doesn't want to stop what she is doing to go to the potty. Did you just start working or have you been working since she was a baby? If you've been doing this all along, I can't imagine that she is doing it because of that. What is your reaction when she has accidents? I hope that you don't yell at her or make her feel bad.
i just started back working when my husband lost his job. I always asked her why she peed herself and how come she didnt tell mommy or daddy she had to go. She just began to cry and said she didnt know.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
i just started back working when my husband lost his job. I always asked her why she peed herself and how come she didnt tell mommy or daddy she had to go. She just began to cry and said she didnt know.
Then I would start with going back to reminding her to go. If she continues to have accidents, then it could be that she is looking for some extra attention. When she has an accident, don't make a big deal out of it, just have her get cleaned up and change and move on. Don't "reward" her with attention for having an accident.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Don't let you mom make you feel guilty that you went back to work. I'm sure it's hard enough on you being away from your dd w/o your mom rubbing it in. Go back to reminding your dd to go. Most preschoolers get so involved in what they're doing, that by the time they have to go, it can be too late to make it to the bathroom.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
no she wasnt playing she was just sitting on the porch.

she is still very young, like others said go back to reminding her and asking her more often if she has to go

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I'm sorry your mom reacted that way. She shouldn't make you feel guilty. 1.5 is very young to be potty trained. Some regression is normal. It may or may not be because you are at work. Whatever it is, it will pass. Do not quit your job over this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting