Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You are thinking of a vegan.
No, actually you are thinking of a lacto-vegetarian, not a "true" vegetarian. Vegan is a whole nother animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
we always eat homemade meals, but I never thought they can be such a hassle for others?

I have 1 day / week reserved for cooking. I make 2 types of soup - first dish and 2 types of whatever second dishes we want that week.

For breakfast, some eggs + bacon or some warm milk + a sandwich really wouldn't kill anyone to make.

At least that's what I thought, until I stumbled upon this thread.

I don't cook because I race for Mum of the Year or something. I'm such a fussy eater - and I also briefly worked in a restaurant when I was a student - that I just prefer eating stuff that I cook myself.
I don't cook breakfast because my spouse gets up at 5 in the morning to go to work, and I don't need to be at work til 9. I'll be damned if I get up before dawn to make breakfast for my husband, and spend the next 4 hours waiting to go to work.

He knows where the fridge is, he can make his own breakfast if he wants. As long as he doesn't wake me up with the noise of clattering pans or the smoke alarm going off.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
we always eat homemade meals, but I never thought they can be such a hassle for others?

I have 1 day / week reserved for cooking. I make 2 types of soup - first dish and 2 types of whatever second dishes we want that week.

For breakfast, some eggs + bacon or some warm milk + a sandwich really wouldn't kill anyone to make.

I don't cook because I race for Mum of the Year or something. I'm such a fussy eater - and I also briefly worked in a restaurant when I was a student - that I just prefer eating stuff that I cook myself.
I don't think anyone is saying it would kill them to make something but every meal does not need to be cooked/made by mom/dad to be healthy. In fact, "cooking" does NOT automatically make something healthy. The OP seems to feel that biscuits and gravy are a healthier meal than multigrain cereal and some lowfat milk with some fruit. That is simply not true.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,355 times
Quote:

I can assure you there was no way I was washing pans for eggs and bacon in the morning before we all scooted out the door at 6:40 am to start our day.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, actually you are thinking of a lacto-vegetarian, not a "true" vegetarian. Vegan is a whole nother animal.
"Actually" is way over used in this forum. You were thinking of vegan as they can't have dairy products. Vegetarian diets are pretty broad as allowing some dairy products, as in your lacto-veg, to even some fish. Vegan is no dairy products at all. I have had to prepare menu's for both. All vegans are vegetarian, but not all vegetarians are vegan. I suppose vegans could claim to be the only "true" vegetarians.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-28-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Quote:
McDonald's is very very happy it is such a hassle for so many here in America. The OP went a little overboard with three home cooked meals a day. One would do, but even that's not done in most homes today.

A drive-thru has replaced the kitchen.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Part of that may be because you are Eastern European. I was raised by a Polish-American mother and taught to cook by a very Polish grandmother.

The Eastern European attitude towards cooking and food is very unlike the typical American attitude. I lean towards a Eastern European attitude but I'd never say it's better. Just different.

Now then. You look a little hungry. Can I make you a sandwhich? How about a nice glass of ice tea?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:

I cook dinner almost every night (or we have left overs), and plan to do something similar to what you do when/if I go back to work and can't cook every day.

I personally like eggs for breakfast because protein keeps me full longer, but eating eggs every day raises cholesterol. It isn't healthy. We make bacon once/year on Christmas. Also not good for you.

I don't think anyone is complaining about making a sandwich. I make these for me and the kids almost every day for lunch. But that's not "cooking" as the OP would like.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM

As I said, PanTerra, a vegan is a whole nother animal. It is not merely someone who doesn't eat dairy. It's someone who doesn't wear leather, many refuse to consume anything with honey in it, most of them are macrobiotic, they share a common desire to eat primarily whole/raw foods and soy proteins, and don't wear wool or use any product that comes from any animal.

A vegetarian is someone who doesn't consume products from animal sources. Vegetarians might wear wool, but won't eat lamb. Vegetarians might wear leather, but won't drink milk. Vegetarians might wear feather boas, but won't eat eggs. Vegetarians won't eat fish either.

Vegetarians who eat eggs are octo-vegetarians. Vegetarians who eat fish are pescetarians. Vegetarians who eat diary are lacto-vegetarians. Vegetarians who eat none of those things, are just plain vegetarians. Vegans go beyond this and take vegetarianism to a completely different level, because their food habits are merely one part of an entire lifestyle. The term vegetarian refers exclusively to the consuming of food.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As I said, PanTerra, a vegan is a whole nother animal. It is not merely someone who doesn't eat dairy. It's someone who doesn't wear leather, many refuse to consume anything with honey in it, most of them are macrobiotic, they share a common desire to eat primarily whole/raw foods and soy proteins, and don't wear wool or use any product that comes from any animal.
I am just talking about their diet - NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS, yes even honey, not their politics or philosphy. They are extreme, and we do have fun with them. After one of my vegan friends scarfed down a huge plate of my non-raw grilled veggies, and someone asked what they were marinated in, I very matter-of-factly said, bacon grease. He alomst hurled. Of course, that was just for his benefit, he likes a good yanking. I quickly corrected myself as to the marinade.

My experience with vegtetarians, evidently are broader than your experiences, and I do appreciating your relating your experiences. Evidently the vegetarians don't abide by AnonChicks guidelines, but I can't see them really giving it another thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting