Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 03:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I'm 23 with no kids and cereal worked just great for me. Of course my parents did make me hot breakfast sometimes but I prefered Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Crispies, Apple Jacks, etc and I still do! Lol. I'm overweight or underweight. Shame on all of you parents who don't cook three meals a day for your kids! What's wrong with you!?! This is exactly why I'm a cereal addict to this day! Shame on you!
I love cereal. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast AND lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 03:54 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
My kids ate complete crap growing up. Potato chips were just a step away from hash browns. They are now 19 and 21 and in great health. So, if some of you guys want to get up and play Betty Crocker, knock yourself out....but I didn't and have no remorse.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Cereal doesn't count as a meal. Neither does a value meal, unless it's just some days. Poor diets can be blamed for overweight kids. They're fed junk, therefore they're not very entergetic so they eat more and feel lazy. They perform poor in school. Or underweight kids.

Cook your kids 3 meals a day.
Tell you what: When you have your own children you can cook them three meals a day including a hot breakfast. They'll probably thank you for it. Except one will be barfing into the dog dish because his stomach is upset, one will be out in the front yard taking off all his clothes bacause he just discovered he could do zippers and one will be standing in the living room crying because he wants you to sit down and read him his special story.

But ignore all that and cook those three meals!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Sarcasm is hard to pick up sometimes, eh?
Was that directed at me? I can pick up on sarcasm, and can give it too.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
When I lived in Utah, my neighbor's were not working Mom's, they cooked all the time, and weighed about 200 lb.s each. Their kids were fat too.

Better a woprking Mom, who never cooks, IMO, than have a Mom who always cooks...

My kids ate well, but cooking was not the focus of my life. Or theirs! Thank goodness!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
My thin, fit, hardly ever gets sick daughter ususally starts her day with a bowl of Crispix or Cheerios. Sometimes she likes to add fresh blueberries or rasberries. I guess we are awful parents. So be it.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I love cereal. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast AND lunch!
Same here! Everytime our dining hall is open on campus, I always grab a bowl of cereal!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:17 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Sigh, we've all been trolled. At least it did provoke some interesting responses....

Old 06-25-2011, 05:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Or slow cooking, not over cooking, that's why this requires much time and patience. Its hard living healthy.
OMG! My husband once dated a home ec major at the U of Illinois, a premier ag school. She did a study on slow cookers that showed, supposedly, that the food doesn't get hot enough to kill all the bacteria. I think things have improved since she did this, but I'd still be hesitant to cook a chicken or something like that in one.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Cereal doesn't count as a meal. Neither does a value meal, unless it's just some days. Poor diets can be blamed for overweight kids. They're fed junk, therefore they're not very entergetic so they eat more and feel lazy. They perform poor in school. Or underweight kids.

Cook your kids 3 meals a day.
And WHY doesn't cereal count? Assuming it's nutritionally sound that is. It's a whole lot healthier than bacon and eggs or sausage and hot cakes. A lot less fat, cholesterol and sugar.

We try to stay away from eggs, pork and things you smother in syrup. So, we're left with cereal or would you prefer pop tarts .

We're a cereal family. Cereals are a good source of vitamins, fiber and carbohydrates to get the brain moving in the morning. The milk is a good source of protein and calcium. On RARE occaisions, I make eggs or pancakes. VERY RARE occaisions. They're just not healthy foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting