Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times

Advertisements

What do you consider a proper meal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
If they want those workouts to built muscle, they need more than a banana and sandwiches until they finally get to eat a proper meal.
My oldest son is 5'8", 170 lb with very little body fat. He's pretty strong. He asks for specific foods and bananas are high on the list. He likes to have bananas before he works out in the heat because they are high in potassium. He also likes chicken salad sandwiches for lunch. We make our own chicken salad so I guess it sort of counts as "cooking".

My youngest is trying to lose some weight. He is only 12 so he is to young to really be looking to build a whole lot of muscle. Maybe in a year or so.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My standard for being a "good" Mother is that we never landed in the homeless shelter. Anything else is gravy. My "new" standard for being a "good" Mother, is that I never threw any kids away in a trash bag. And we still have not been in a homeless shelter. Cooking food..that is something pretty far down on the list when you are a single Mom, going to school, and working two jobs.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I noticed the only time some families cook good meals is when guest or relatives are coming over. Or make it and keep it covered or 1 step from being finished, like its not suppose to be eaten, until "...." gets home. so by the time its served people already went and got something to eat. Timing is important to.

These bad parents are teaching thier children the same habits, and when they become elder and their children are grown, they're going to practise these habits. Their excuse would be "my parents never did this for me".
I'm curious. Have you ever tried to make what you would consider a good home-cooked meal yourself? I'm not even sure what would qualify in your mind. A roast? A whole turkey? with all the sides of course? A home-made lasagne? do you know how much time is involved in making this kind of meal? Have you ever tried it?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My oldest son is 5'8", 170 lb with very little body fat. He's pretty strong. He asks for specific foods and bananas are high on the list. He likes to have bananas before he works out in the heat because they are high in potassium. He also likes chicken salad sandwiches for lunch. We make our own chicken salad so I guess it sort of counts as "cooking".

My youngest is trying to lose some weight. He is only 12 so he is to young to really be looking to build a whole lot of muscle. Maybe in a year or so.
And he probably doesn't like to have a whole lot in his stomach because it can cause nausea and sluggishness. My husband avoids eating a hearty breakfast on the days he trains, too.

Look dahnu, I share your concern about kids eating properly, but a good diet doesn't have to come in the form of three home-cooked meals a day. Plenty of very strong, healthy people eat cereal and/or fruit for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. The key is making sure that the components of the cereal and sandwich are nutritious. A sandwich with lean turkey, avocado, sprouts, and a big slab of juicy tomato on whole grain bread is not only delicious and filling, but it also meets my kids' nutritional needs. And I can make it without turning on the oven, a big plus for those of us who live without a/c in places with hot summers and west-facing kitchens.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm curious. Have you ever tried to make what you would consider a good home-cooked meal yourself? I'm not even sure what would qualify in your mind. A roast? A whole turkey? with all the sides of course? A home-made lasagne? do you know how much time is involved in making this kind of meal? Have you ever tried it?
I'd like to know what he expects, too! Is a sandwich made from home-made bread and home-grown veggies, prepared in my kitchen, and served in the dining room a home-cooked meal? What if my kids help to prepare it and take it outside on paper plates so they can continue playing? Does it still count?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'd like to know what he expects, too! Is a sandwich made from home-made bread and home-grown veggies, prepared in my kitchen, and served in the dining room a home-cooked meal? What if my kids help to prepare it and take it outside on paper plates so they can continue playing? Does it still count?
Good points. And let's not forget that many traditional home-cooked meals are fairly high in fat, sodium, and calories, and not considered "healthy" by many.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM

yes, I really want to know. He seems to think the meal being very hearty and filling is important. Those kinds of meals can take hours to prepare.

I imagine something like this:

6:00 - get up, begin preparing bacon, eggs, biscuits, gravy, etc.
6:30 - first child gets up and wants to eat. whines because breakfast isn't ready yet.
6:45 - second kid and husband come downstairs, everyone eats.
7:00 - I spend the next hour cleaning up the breakfast mess while the kids watch TV.
8:00 - put some laundry in
8:15 - start boiling yesterday's ham hock for today's soup. good thing I remembered to soak the beans over night. the TV is still on, but the kids have started to play bounce-house on the family room furniture.
8:30 - chop ham and veggies for soup, realize there is no way this will be done in time for lunch, and, oh ya, the laundry I put in 2 hours ago!
10:00 - kids want to play outside. I have to choose between watching them so they don't get kidnapped or hit by a car, or continuing to cook. A good parent would keep cooking...
11:00 - kid comes in with big owie on his knee, clean up blood, change his clothes. start laundry.
11:30 - what are we going to have for lunch since the soup won't be done? Pasta is quick and cooked, so I'll make that. Does sauce out of a jar count as home cooked?
12:30 - husband calls from work having chest pains from all the home cooked breakfasts I've been making. Me and the kids rush to the hospital.
2:30 - back home. Oh ya, the laundry I started 3 hours ago... Now I don't have time to peal and slice the potatoes and veggies to go with the roast I was going to make for dinner. Maybe the soup will be done... I hope it is ok after being left on the stove while we were at the hospital. Good thing the house didn't burn down.
3:00 - the kids are bored because they're only outing today was to the hospital. I tell them I'm a good mom because I'm cooking.
4:00 - soccer practice. Good thing I didn't put the roast in the oven because now I have to leave the house again.
5:30 - home from soccer practice, husband home from work, ready to eat home made soup.
6:30 - the rest of the family plays outside while I clean up all the dishes. That would be a pot for pasta, a colander, a pot for the sauce (that wasn't even home made), 3 lunch plates, utensils, cutting boards from the soup veggies, a bowl from soaking the beans, a pot for the soup, 4 soup bowls, numerous utensils...
7:30 - I haven't showered, neither have the kids, I haven't gone through the mail pile, I didn't play with or read to the kids all day, I haven't dusted or vacuumed anything, I haven't folded the laundry. One load is still wrinkled in the dryer. I haven't made a single phone call, or watched any TV, or visited my friends on C-D forum. The kids now want a snack. Is this supposed to be home made too? Dang, I didn't have time to bake a cake or a pie today... And I'm not sure if lunch even counted as a home cooked meal...

Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Lol. So that was the secret??? Hire a personal chef??? Why didn't I think of that. And here I was with all that extra money just laying around collecting dust.
?

Both my parents were working at the time and they were living within their means so that they could take care of their children properly.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
?

Both my parents were working at the time and they were living within their means so that they could take care of their children properly.
does that mean mom cooked 3 meals/day? cooked. 3 hearty meals. every day? And are you implying that the rest of us are not caring for our children properly if we don't do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting