Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,416 times

Advertisements

By cross gender names I suppose this could include so-called unisex names which are more often associated with both genders, but what I really am curious about is using more common boys names on girls, and girls names on boys. For instance Michael on a girl and Autumn on a boy kind of thing.

Although this seems to be more common for boys names to be used on girls, as a guy named Chelsea I've found a handful of other male Chelsea's on the net, so it's a name not really in common enough usage to be considered unisex and yet enough parents seem to find it usable for a boy that it isn't completely unique either.

And out of interest, maybe you could mention here if you have known of any male Chelsea's or similar spelling variants too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I haven't personally. And I'm not a fan of cross-gender names. I guess I'm not "hip" enough to get it point the parents are trying to make.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
I very conciously tried to stay away from them for my sons. I didn't want them to share a name with a girl.

Fast forward a few years and the name Ryan is popular for girls.

I actually like it better for a girl than a boy now. Much to my sons dismay.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Sometimes they can be a burden to the child. Yes, kids will find something to tease other kids about. If it's not your name it's the fact that you have curly hair or freckles. But it's always a shame to figure out on the first day of school that you've seated a lone boy at the girls' table, or vice versa. Of course the teacher can do a hasty reshuffling of name tags, but you have to know that happens to that poor kid everywhere they go. Having an odd name myself, I can sympathize. Sometimes you have to wonder if you're really doing a selfish thing in your desire to name a child something "unique." They're the one who has to live with it.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:12 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think it's just part of the evolution of names. It's been fairly common for what were "boy" names to become unisex, and then eventually typically "girl." I can't think of many examples where it's evolved the other way. I don't think it's a big deal, at least for girls; girls can pretty much use any name without it being considered too weird (just like they can wear pretty much any kind of clothes, while boys are far more restricted). A very solidly classic boy-only name could be weirder (like Andrew or something), but for most "boy" names it's probably fair game. I have an unusual and unisex name (although of the few people I've encountered with the same name there seem to be a slight girl tilt) and it never bothered me. Sometimes I get annoyed with letters addressed to "Mr.", but it's not a big deal.

I haven't met any male Chelseas, but then I don't know many girl Chelseas, either. Given the popularity of place names lately, I suppose some parents consider it another unisex place name. Or are really into soccer! I can see it working for both. To me, it sounds sufficiently unisex.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I like them. My kids have gender specific names. My husband's name can be a man or woman's name though.

As for being selfish? In the eye of the beholder, really.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Remember when Ashley and Frances were common boy names?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
This is nothing new. Names such as Alexis, Ashley, Beverly, Evelyn, Hilary, Jocelyn, Kelly, Lesley, Lynn, Meredith, Shirley, Shannon, Sharon, Vivian (can't remember the others) all started out as predominantly male names.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times
Personally, I wouldn't name a boy something that could sound feminine, but I don't mind when a girl has a more boyish name. :-)

Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Personally, I wouldn't name a boy something that could sound feminine, but I don't mind when a girl has a more boyish name. :-)
I 100% agree.
Whichever gender, I like strong names with little flourish. Kinda no-nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting