U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 12,390 times

Advertisements

when would you move your kids
during the spring so they could play sports there
or in july after sports are over

moving from chicago to des moines area next year

have never moved away and i am very emotional about it

my 7 year old has been best friends with the girl who is back yard to back yard with us since she was 18 months old they are inseparable

any advice would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,489,588 times
I'd move over the summer. Let them finish out the year. They'll likely have other new students in their class in the fall in the same boat. Moving in the spring seems like it would be harder and you have to remember different schools may not cover the same objectives at the same time. Moving in July will allow a month or so to get settled in your new home and ready to go for the school year, whereas moving in the spring will be more chaotic with so many things at once. Not that it can't be done, but that would be my choice.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

25,907 posts, read 33,833,935 times
I'd move after the school year was over.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 11,426 times
I agree with the others: moving during summer is the best for the kids. Plus, there's time for them to meet the kids in the new neighborhood, so they might know some classmates who can show them the ropes when school starts up again in fall.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 27,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorstad View Post
when would you move your kids
during the spring so they could play sports there
or in july after sports are over

moving from chicago to des moines area next year

have never moved away and i am very emotional about it

my 7 year old has been best friends with the girl who is back yard to back yard with us since she was 18 months old they are inseparable

any advice would be great
--------------------------------
I moved to Des Moines in 1991 from Flint, Michigan. Now, we all know that is a very troubled city but it took me years to fall in love with Iowa and then Des Moines. I missed the lakes and the trees. After 20 years I have grown to love Des Moines. My children were all in grade school and Jr High when we came and have all grown and given me grandchildren. We moved in March of 1991 after visiting the city and school in November. We wanted the kids to finish at least one month in the new school so they would not be so alone if we moved in the summer. We knew we would use a private school and one of the cool things that happened was the classes my daughters would be in sent them a video of the class with each student introducing themselves before they arrived. This broke the ice bigtime! My oldest now lives in Phoenix and and actually saw a guy in the video who is now her husband of 14 years. Yes, she told me it was the hardest thing she ever did leaving her best friend but now has a new one for life. Facts about DSM: We are a clean city with minimal crime. Our housing prices are some of the best in the US ( I know because I have been a REALTOR for 20+ years). Our incomes are among the highest with Insurance our top commodity. Our suburbs are quality and well defined. Our downtown is safe and growing daily into new condo's with libraries and develpments continually flurishing. We are a liberal city ...not as conservative as I would like but a well diverse town that is growing in multi-culturalism. Great place to raise a family with good schools but minimal opportunities for college grads. You would grow to love Des Moines. Come on down .

Last edited by El Rhino; 07-21-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM

24 posts, read 39,345 times
now looking for opinions on school districts

thinking west des moines because it is most like naperville il

possibly johnston if i want to go smaller

thought about waukee but there are so many house for sale concerned about how the district will do long term

also looking for preschool too for my yougest

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM

25,907 posts, read 33,833,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lislemom View Post
now looking for opinions on school districts

thinking west des moines because it is most like naperville il

possibly johnston if i want to go smaller

thought about waukee but there are so many house for sale concerned about how the district will do long term

also looking for preschool too for my yougest
I would post this in one of the local forums. Where are you moving, Des Moines?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/

Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,131,436 times
At 7 years old, she is definitely going to miss her friend and since you are very emotional about it, I would wait until the summer since you can. I would be prepping her though, maybe now, you can purchase a skype set where they can "practice" how they will communicate w/eachother when they are apart. It may prove to be very exciting. Also, give each other some stationary that they can snail mail to one another. Make sure that you show your daughter how excited you are rather than how sad you are about the move. Good luck, I have no info on schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or