Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times

Advertisements

How do you go about finding a teen babysitter?

We have always used family for babysitting in the past, but they live almost an hour away so we have only done it for special occasions mostly. We did once have my daughter's pre-school teacher babysit so we could see a play on a weeknight. But other than that, we've never used outside babysitters. My girls are 2 and 5.

We have some household projects that we'd like to do, and we were thinking the best way to accomplish them would be to get a teen babysitter to watch our kids at our home/yard while we work on the projects (clean out the closets, paint a room, organize the garage, etc). We are thinking that if that works out a few times, once the kids know the sitter and the sitter knows the kids and we trust the sitter, then we could use the sitter while we go out sometimes too.

I would think a teen in the neighborhood would be good for this, but I'm not sure how to find such a teen that is interested. One neighbor told us her son was interested in babysitting, but when we asked him he said he only wanted to sit for boys.

Also, how much would you pay a teen babysitter? Would it be different if you are home and available while they work vs if you go out, or would it be the same rate either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
When I was a teen and babysat, I always met the families I sat for at church. If you go to church, that might be a place to look for a sitter. Or if your neighborhood has a pool/playground, post a small sign there, or just ask neighbors who have teen daughters if their daughters babysit. You could also find out if there's a bulletin board at the community college nearest to you where you could post a flyer looking for a sitter.

You can also ask at daycares in your area, if any of their employees babysit in the evenings or weekends...I've known some daycare employees who make extra money that way. They usually charge a bit more than the teens though.

I think it's a good idea to stick to female sitters, if you've got little girls.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
When my DD babysat, she babysat for neighbors and family friends. Occasionally, she'd be referred to a family by someone we knew. No one you know has a responsible teen who is interested? If not, ask friends for a referral. The going rate for teen babysitters depends on the area and the situation as well as the age and experience of the teen. Again, the best way to find all this out is to talk to others.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
It's been a while since we've used sitters but I would think the fee w/b the same as if you weren't there than if you are there - it's the same amount of hours for the sitter. It sounds like a good way to get to know the sitter but the only thing is that if your child falls or wants comforting, s/he may go looking for you rather than stay w/ the sitter as you're right there also, they're very young and naturally would probably want you (unless they're outside w/ the sitter).

From time to time, the local Y offers babysitting courses for kids interested, you might want to contact them to see if there's any older responsible kids in your area who've taken the course.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Check with your town and see if they have a list of sitters that have completed the Red Cross Babysitting course. We also just asked our friends who they used. That gets a little touchy because you hate to give up your best babysitters but it still works. If you know of any 6th, 7th, 8th grade teachers, they are a good resource as well.

As for pay, that varies WIDELY around the nation so ask that of your friends as well. Our kids would get about $5/hour for watching kids while you are home doing projects for 2 kids your kids' age.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
If you have an older girl scout troop in your area, they are a good source too. Sometimes the girls have earned a child care badge that includes a babysitting and first aid course. Girl Scouts: Council Finder
When I used teens they were paid slightly less as a 'mothers helper' (keep the kids out of my hair) than they were paid for the full on responsibility of actually babysitting while I was out.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
We have only ever used baby sitters when we were out.

If we have jobs to do at home then either we get the kids to 'help' or get them doing something else. Also get one of their friends over. Two three year olds can entertain each other so you can get on with your jobs. Or get them to go go to friends house for a 'play date'

I have had great experiences with teen baby sitters. I suspect that many of us for some reason do not give teens the opportunity to show how good they are. One teen was great. She would read with the kids, say bed time prayers with the kids and then after the kids had gone to sleep, she would do the washing up and so by the time we got home the place looked great. She was the exception, most of them would as soon as the kids were asleep, fall asleap themselves on the couch watching TV.

On a related note, I had had all 'good'? intentions of having my teens babysat themselves (by adults) so that they would always be under the authority of someone else. However it has come to pass that we have been slack in that regard. Maybe because our 14yo has turned out to be non rebellious and very responsble. So sometimes our 14yo is the baby sitter for our younger children.

Here is a thought, get the teen to do the chores and take the kids down the park

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times
Other than teen neighbors, what about calling the local high school. If the school has home ec type courses (idk if any have those anymore) you could ask if the teacher will recommend some of her good students.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
If you really want to spend your time wisely and efficiently, I suggest you take them someplace for a few hours and not try to have them in the same place with you. When I was a teenagers, I few of my regular customers tried to get me to come in the daytime while they did the same type of thing you want to do. It didn't work. Once they saw their Mom, they wanted to go to her. I could not discipline them or keep them out of the way. It became very frustrating for everybody involved. If the Mom heard the kids whining or crying, she felt she had to come take care of the situation. In the end, they ended up paying for me to be there but they were unable to get much done.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times
sittercity.com and care.com are websites specifically for finding babysitting jobs in your area. You post an inquiry/job description and babysitters apply. They have profiles with there contact info, background checks and references and you just contact them to set up an interview.
I think 8 or 9 dollars per hr for 1 child is good and it usually goes up 1 dollar per child after that. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting