Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You have to have a parent or legal guardian present with you when applying for the license.
That's the case here as well. We signed papers and if I recall, part of what we signed and he signed stated we have the right to have his license cancelled at any time up until he turns 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Guess it's different outside CT. In CT, you need parental consent to get a learner's permit, if you are 16 or 17 years old and don't already have a license from CT or out of state.

Once you've had your permit for 120 days, and fulfill all the other qualifications (driving lessons by a qualified trainer, pass the road test and eye exam, etc. etc. etc.) then you can get your license. So a 16 year old -would- need parental consent just for the initial permit. He doesn't need parental consent for the actual license, which he can get on his own 120 days later.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksantangelo23 View Post
I'm 17, and I own my own car. Its fully paid off. I own it outright. it's titled and registered to me only. earlier today I misplaced my car key, and spoke with my grandma about what to do. and she told me that my mother had a spare key. which I didn’t know about. so, I called and asked her for the key. I told her I probably locked it in the trunk, and when she got home she unlocked the car for me but it wasn’t there. long story short is that she adamantly –refuses- to give me the spare key, and i'm literally unable to get into my car at all. I know that if I were an adult, she’s completely in the wrong, but im only 17. can she refuse to hand over the spare? she is in no way related to my car, the title, or registration. I don’t want to get the police or anybody like that involved but she is absolutely ridiculous and will not hand it over. I cant use my car at all, and this is just a joke. It’s a base Milan, and the key is the only way to get in. ive been at her for about 2 hours now demanding my key, and it is absolutely impossible for me to get it unless I were to get violent. and im not that stupid.

if she can take my key, then she can take my car as well. (legally). surely there has to be some sort of act or protection that I would fall under preventing her from taking anything this substansial and expensive I own. whats to stop her from taking my car for herself when im 17 years and 364days old? which is July 13th this year.

I know some of you may think that I should respect my mother, and not question her. but, I only started living with her three years ago, and we dont have the typical mother-son relationship. so, i'd appreciate leaving personal ideas out. i'm only interested in the legal aspect of this.
I haven't read all the responses so this is probably redundant, but...

Since you have not reached majority age and, I presume, have not been legally emancipated from your parents, you do not have the right to own property nor enter into contracts. If the car is in your name, I'm actually not sure who owns it - but it isn't you (this is done all the time, but it is actually legally risky unless a parent also appears on the title in a particular way). Yes, your mother can take the car, paint it, crash it, sell it or whatever she wants because she is your mother and you do not exist as a legal entity seperate from her yet.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Of course he has the right to own property. If he's under the legal age to pay taxes on that property, then it can be held in trust until he reaches legal age. But it is still his property. Anyone can buy someone a car, and sign the title over to them. You don't have to sign anything to -receive- the vehicle, the person who gives it to you needs to sign. Once it's signed over to you, then it's yours. Whether you're 18 or 8 or 88. You're not held legally responsible to pay property tax on it, because you are not legal age. And since the taxes have to be paid, and it isn't allowed to come from you, then it is held in trust by the adult legally responsible for your expenses.

However - it is not the property of that adult. That adult is only the trustee. The child is the owner.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
No, it is true. If you are under the age of 18, you can't just walk into the DMV and get your license. At least not in Fl or Mi. You have to have a parent or legal guardian present with you when applying for the license.
A state requiring a parent's permission to obtain a driver's licence is different from a parent taking away the priviledge. In other words, the state does not provide a legal way for parents to revoke the priviledge. Sure, a parent can physically take keys away from the minor, but in the eyes of the state the minor can still legally drive a car. If the state got involved with every parental grounding of a teen driver, taxes would be raised to cover the additional cost! Once a parent grants permission, the state considers the permission permanently granted. The state won't revoke a minor's driver's license unless it has been proven in court that the driver breaks the law.

Quote:
You may be able to have the car titled in a minors name, but not registered. A minor would not be able to get plates on the car. Nor, would they be allowed to get their own insurance policy on the said car...you have be 18 to carry your own insurance policy. Info from my State Farm agent)

We bought our kids new cars when they turned 16. It was their car, but by law it couldn't be registerd or insured in their names only...it could only be titled...the DMV said it's best to have an adult on the title until the minor is 18.
Clearly, laws vary state to state. Where I live, minors can purchase, register and insure cars all on their own. Also, that might be state farm's policy but another insurance company might very well provide a minor with an inusrance policy. I have a child living with me right now who had his own car, registration, plates and insurance policy before he turned 18.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A state requiring a parent's permission to obtain a driver's licence is different from a parent taking away the priviledge. In other words, the state does not provide a legal way for parents to revoke the priviledge..

Ummmm..I've stood in the DMVs office in MI and in FL and both clerks told my then 16 yr old children that I had the right to revoke their licencse if I saw fit.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
Quote:
Ummmm..I've stood in the DMVs office in MI and in FL and both clerks told my then 16 yr old children that I had the right to revoke their licencse if I saw fit.
Yes, that's true. But that is not the same as when the state revokes it. Meaning, the state won't interfere with you taking your minor child's license, but it isn't a legal revocation.

Minors can title, register, and insure cars in MI.

Can a 17 year old have a car registered in their name?

That isn't the SoS website, but the SoS is difficult to navigate for odd questions like these.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 14,993 times
I'm 17 haven't seen my dad, who has legal costudy over me, in like 3 to 5 years decides to make my grandmother take my keys and refuse to give them back to me? Can he do that? I paid the car full and fully with all the money I've earned being in Alaska. What can I do? If I don't get my keys back I'll break some **** (out of anger issues and lake of self care)

Old 11-27-2015, 01:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiasmith View Post
I'm 17 haven't seen my dad, who has legal costudy over me, in like 3 to 5 years decides to make my grandmother take my keys and refuse to give them back to me? Can he do that? I paid the car full and fully with all the money I've earned being in Alaska. What can I do? If I don't get my keys back I'll break some **** (out of anger issues and lake of self care)
Hum my...perhaps you should focus on why your dad took your keys? Anger issues? I'm guessing you got them taken because of behavior issues. Maybe the best thing to do would be to work on your behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting