Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 01:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
the Moms living in the sticks. the rural ones that don't get picked up by those stat hounds out there that create the stats.
Yah the "stats hounds" just... SKIP these folk!

Yah know, it can be VERY handy when you don't have facts to support your case to just MAKE THEM UP!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
you do it. you guys are the statistician male bashers. hate your SAHM job and wanna rant about it online. cool. make this a chat thread and not one up for debate. because as long as you're presenting it as a debate, it's gonna get debated lady.
Nah, you've spent some time on C-D, right, perhaps over in P&OC? In a debate, burden of providing evidence is on the one asking the questions and making the assertions (that would be you, in this scenario). If you want to play on the thread, do your homework. Otherwise it's just blather and you know what they say about opinions...

BTW, there's a SAHD over on the open SAHD thread if you have any questions for him.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
so you want me to scan 103 pages of comments for that?
You assert that this is the overarching tone. Yet you cannot find THREE?

I was a SAHM. I loved being a SAHM. I am a WOHM. I love being a WOHM. I am not sure why you refered to me. My big words confused you?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You have to make it happen.
Maybe we are defining "slave labor" differently. I'm all about personal responsibility-- but Moses freed my mother's people years ago, and I'm not really up for reinstituting the tradition.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am fairly certain I stated they clean up their messes not do general housework. And how many hours a day are you spending cleaning up vomit. In all honesty it is by no means a regular part of my daily or even weekly routines. Even when I ran carpool.
The reference was that increased numbers of individuals increase the workload, and the response that "what, they don't pick up after themselves?" By that sequence, it is generally reasonable to presume that it is being indicated that "picking up after themselves" negates the increased workload, which in fact it would not.

Quote:
1. I have not stated a single negative opinion about SAHMs. I am not remotely sure why you insist on pegging me as saying things I haven't.
Mea culpa. (Maybe.) At this point, and after several threads, you and Ivory bear a more than passing resemblance. And while I don't know that I'd agree with your absolute, I'm far too unmotivated to search the last couple pages of the thread.

Quote:
2. I am a teacher at a high school for the gifted where I teach college courses. Parents, working or not, do not do anything for my class or my students along the lines you have suggested. So being a SAHM or a WM has literally no bearing on my class or my students. Granted the vast majority come from two working parent homes but the SAHMs aren't exactly coming in to do any of our research.
Oddly enough, I'm familiar with schools for the gifted, and yes, I would certainly hope your students are not cutting out Rudolph noses, since that's more of a kindergarten-level thing. The point remains, though, despite your insistence on quibbling at examples.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That is a very good point. My social circle does not include anybody who works in construction. I'm surrounded by highly-educated thought workers; therefore, my peers are part of a very different demographic than that which he is describing.
Ahem.
Master's level architects and structural engineers also work "in construction". Just...y'know. FTR.
Not that I'm suggesting what'shisname is either.

Last edited by Aconite; 09-29-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant to the topic.

Phoenix is a credbile online institution nowadays. you disagree?
Well, yes.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,167 times
Coming from one of those military families you mentioned, I just want to tell you that's it not about the money or for us. Our husbands decided to that the best way to provide a future for us and our kids was to protect the country. Is it hard sometimes to not be paid for overtime and have you husband deployed more that he is home absolutely, but we do it because we love our men and our babies. I am still going to pursue a career and my children have cushy lives because of the love they receive. But that is what work for us. I am not offended in any way and I hope that you won't be offended by this response either, because I say as friendly as possible. You will be alright, do what is best for you and your future babies and husband will love you for it. Take care! BTW, love the screen name

Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,167 times
for* Gotta love typos lol. (in the first sentence)

Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
eh, no worries. I'm waiting for the upset ilk of this crowd to chime in like they normally do with their "I hate my job as SAHM!".

be patient.

It's the sole reason I started "Should Men gravitate to SAHD status" thread.
1. It's not a job. Were it a job, I'd get a paycheck and social security benefits. And days off.
2. I don't hate it. If I hated it, I'd do something else.

and, apropos of earlier posts:
3. Post grad work and some random professional certification programming. I use my education, I just don't use it to earn money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting