Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I record episodes of What Not To Wear to watch when I am doing things at home all day! My guilty pleasure.
I love that show. I wish someone would nominate me. A trip to NY, $5,000 worth of clothes, expert advice and a makeover. Sign me up!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
lol! No need to be embarrassed - trust me, you are not the only one who has done that.

Yep, that's actually one of my favorite snacks!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I'm not crazy busy but there are things to do at home. Laundry for 5 people (2 athletes). I shop for food at 3 different places, which I would not do if I was working. I have friends that are home during the day so I have time to see them during the day (their kids are in school also). Once the kids get home there is a lot to do.

I am not super volunteer at school but I do help the coaches and music teachers. Monday is picture day for orchestra and I will be at school for that. Saturday is a wrestling tournament and the coach needed some help this week organizing that event (even though I won't be there) so I spent some time with him. My father had a medical procedure done (nothing serious) and it was recommended that he not drive afterwards so I took him to that appt (that took almost all day). There are always things that seem to come up that fill up the days.

I can not understand how respect for someone depends on their employment status. I respect people because they are people, not because they have a job.
I do not respect people for that which they have no control over. People are born people, its what they do with their short period of time on this Earth that really shows character. Obviously SAHMs such as yourself are not in the same category as those who spend their entire lives cleaning house and taking care of their spouse. I stand by the fact that with sooo many people, organizations, etc needing help, doing nothing more or less than cleaning your house and feeding your spouse is not something I respect. Its a valid choice, just a wasteful one.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
What wrong with peanut butter? It has WAY less calories and WAY less sugar and WAY less saturated fat and cholestrol and sodium and about the same amount of fat as a Starbuck's Frappuccino but packs a much more powerful punch in the protein and vitamins dept. Most of the espresso drinks at coffee places like Starbucks have more calories than a serving of PB, without the benefits of the proetin or nutrients.

I just picked a frappe or coffee at random, also because a lot of women watching their weight will skip a meal but get a coffee... but still. I feel sorry for PB. Everybody gives it such a hard time but seriously there are foods a lot of people eat everyday without thinking twice about it that are far worse. If given a choice between a salad from a fast food joint or your average American restaurant or a spoonful of peanut butter - I say go with the peanut butter. Some salads have as much as 450 calories and 24 grams of fat! Woah. High sodium, too. (And that's BEFORE you put the dressing on.)

Old 09-15-2011, 03:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's a powdered soap. You use it to clean floors and wash walls. Have you ever washed your walls? Great exercise. You start washing your walls and you can forget that gym membership.
I use the flylady method. I wash my walls once a month. Last night did bathroom walls and ceiling.

Its not bad for the shoulders I agree, but I still say surfing is the best exercise on the planet. Gym is for the days when there are no waves (and february its just too damn cold).

Quote:
Last night I added up the hours of the things I did when I was a true Radical Homemaker and I subtracted the hours spent on taking care of my kids and my dad. Even without kids it would have been a very full day.

Since we lived on one income we didn't have a gardener, a dishwasher, any household help, repaired the cars ourselves, painted the house on our own. Did pretty much everything by ourselves. As far as time goes just pulling the weeds is, easily, an hour a day. Baking bread, picking and cleaning vegetables, making everything from scratch. If you do these things, and do them well, it takes a great deal of time.
I do not bake bread (except on special occasions but we do not really eat bread so its a wash) or fix my own car (beyond oil changes) but we do all the rest. I work a full time and part time job and still get it all done (with the help of the family).

Quote:
(I didn't figure in outside community work which can be considerable.)

And I didn't even have to milk cows. Which I know how to do. You have to both squeeze and tug.
I must be missing something because I wash my own dishes, manage my own organic garden, and still work. I also sleep 8 hours a night and spend time with my kids. Maybe I do not understand what it means to be a radical homemaker but I am also not milking cows though we get our own fish (a job perk), does that count?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
I play the violin, the piano and sing opera.
I also sing. I don't always mention it here because people sometimes do not know what to make of it. I sing with Master Chorale of South Florida as I don't care much for solo performing.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
I'm still trying to figure out why we, as women, judge each other. Men would never spend time telling each other how to run their own lives.

In the 1960's Mama Cass Elliott sang a beautiful song called "Make Your Own Kind Of Music"

The beginning of the song:

Nobody can tell you
There's only one song worth singing
They may try and sell you
'Cause it hangs them up
To see someone like you

Also in the lyrics:

Just to do your thing is the hardest thing to do.

I think that's a pretty important concept.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I love that show. I wish someone would nominate me. A trip to NY, $5,000 worth of clothes, expert advice and a makeover. Sign me up!
I love the hair/makeup part the best. I guess I am more of a girly girl than I let on!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What wrong with peanut butter?
There is nothing wrong with peanut butter, but my entire lunch consisted of peanut butter on a spoon topped with chocolate chips!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I do not respect people for that which they have no control over. ...
Huh?

So I am curious, though - who cared for you when you were young? Day care? A nanny? Your mother? A grandmother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting