Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,436,984 times

Advertisements

This IS a silly thread, and knowing Ivory as a prolific writer, I think at times that it may be an exercise for her to keep up her writing and argumentative skills. The sad part is that she does not show an example just how she'd instill in her students broader thinking, a dose of a healthy doubt, and the ability to step back.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:42 PM

572 posts, read 1,297,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That was not my experience. And I also have experience both as WM and SAHM to two preschoolers.

I also have to seriously question the idea its a "little" extra work. you just got done raving about your dcp, do you think she only did a "little" work with your children? Because while there maybe less kids (and I only had two to deal with instead of 6 per two teachers at my daycare) not only do you need to do all that the daycare does, I also did the housework that my daycare did not do.

Really do you think your daycare provider only does a "little bit" of work?
IKB, ITA with on this...

My mom is an at home daycare provider. She's 62 years old and is retiring in 18 months. She is up at 5:30 AM bringing in kids, and she gets off at 5:00 PM. I grew up in that household, running a daycare is back breaking work. You couldn't pay me ENOUGH to do what she does. She works about 60 hour work weeks. And not only does she tolerate ill-mannered children that my generation produces, but she also tolerates ill-mannered parents, who think because they get up and put a business suit on and go do whatever professional work they do, that they are somehow better than her... So I would not call that a "little bit of extra work."

I used to be an AF officer, I worked 12-14 hour days most days. I will tell you that nothing is more exhausting than looking after my two kids all day, every day. My job defending my country does not compare to my job raising my two kids.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Interesting. Wasn't it sort of unusual for you to wait so long at that time to have your son? I only ask because my mom was early 30s when I was born in 70s and I noticed most of my friends parents were much younger. My mom did go back to work when I went to preschool but until I was in elementary school she only worked part time. I think it is interesting how what was unusual (waiting til a bit older) to have kids is much more the norm.

My grandmother had my father when she was 35 after working as a social worker for 10+ years, she always told me she wanted to go back to work but in the early 40s it just was not done. End of story. So even though she had a Harvard degree (my grandmother was a radical in her day) she was forced to be a SAHM. I wonder that she would have taken more joy in it if it had been a choice instead of a requirement.
I was born in the 70's too, and my parents had been married for about 8 years when I was born, and were 28 and 29. No, not the norm back then.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
FYI, I worked 2 jobs, and still work one part time job. I know what *I* do every night and every weekend, every day. I do NOT know, or care, what stay at home moms do with their every waking moment. I am not about to sit around figuring and comparing minutes of housework they do vs. what I do, and reading studies that prove I am superior above them. As a busy working parent, that is a waste of valuable time. I do not have time to concern myself with what's going on in the rest of the world's homes. My only concern is my own. Everybody else can do whatever works for them and whatever they are comfortable with, and as long as they are happy and their children are happy I.don't.care.

That's great you are a working mom if that's what YOU want to do. How about laying off everybody else for their choices?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM

And, let's be honest, choosing to continue your teaching career where you get off by 4:00 most days, get 2 weeks off at Christmas, spring break, and summer breaks, isn't exactly like choosing to continue your year-around 8-5 career, is it?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
IKB, ITA with on this...

My mom is an at home daycare provider. She's 62 years old and is retiring in 18 months. She is up at 5:30 AM bringing in kids, and she gets off at 5:00 PM. I grew up in that household, running a daycare is back breaking work. You couldn't pay me ENOUGH to do what she does.
Me neither. That's why I got out. 5:00-9:00 every day. Except weekends when you shop and plan activities. The state on your butt for continuing ed, cleanliness, meal plans. Parents all over your butt about some issue or other wrt to their little prince or princess. And the every now and then kid who was a holy terror.

I still have nightmares.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,953,696 times
Quote:
Interesting. Wasn't it sort of unusual for you to wait so long at that time to have your son? I only ask because my mom was early 30s when I was born in 70s and I noticed most of my friends parents were much younger. My mom did go back to work when I went to preschool but until I was in elementary school she only worked part time. I think it is interesting how what was unusual (waiting til a bit older) to have kids is much more the norm.

My grandmother had my father when she was 35 after working as a social worker for 10+ years, she always told me she wanted to go back to work but in the early 40s it just was not done. End of story. So even though she had a Harvard degree (my grandmother was a radical in her day) she was forced to be a SAHM. I wonder that she would have taken more joy in it if it had been a choice instead of a requirement.
Yes it was--although most of my college friends waited about as long as I. As I said I had a career, I was an Art Director in a rather large company. My husband finished his PhD a few years after we married. We traveled--had lots of fun. When we first married I did not know if I wanted children or not. I was there for the radical women's lib movement--many of my friends became lawyers--because it was the thing to do. I did not get "baby hunger" until I was in my 3o's. I have some photos of my son and I on my profile page.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
UGH. I've been a mom to preschoolers. As a WM, I spent, appx, 1150 days home with a preschooler in the house. I know how much work is involved and it's not much over what I did on work days. It's proprotional.
Sooner or later it always winds up a pissing contest over who has it worse/harder.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM

572 posts, read 1,297,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Me neither. That's why I got out. 5:00-9:00 every day. Except weekends when you shop and plan activities. The state on your butt for continuing ed, cleanliness, meal plans. Parents all over your butt about some issue or other wrt to their little prince or princess. And the every now and then kid who was a holy terror.

I still have nightmares.
No kidding. I actually despise each and every one of my mom's parents. Thy are horrible people with absolutely no morals. My mom has lupus, they think it was a immuno-reaction to shingles. Anyway, one of the dumb butts brings his kid to daycare with strep. Knowing he has strep (the guy's a doctor), and gives my mom strep. She has been sick for 6 weeks now. Who does that? Oh wait the parent who feels the almighty buck is above all else.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
And, let's be honest, choosing to continue your teaching career where you get off by 4:00 most days, get 2 weeks off at Christmas, spring break, and summer breaks, isn't exactly like choosing to continue your year-around 8-5 career, is it?
Not all teachers keep those hours. I teach I rarely get home before 5 and always get to school by 7 most days. Summer vacay is also not vacation time for many teachers. Most go to other jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.