Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

616 posts, read 854,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It's beyond bizarre to me that you claim to know what people dream of? Are you claiming psychic powers or are you being trollish for it's own sake?
I learned 2 + 2 = 4

that's all.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
Not slim at all. and those that are getting their degrees are most likely jumping into the workforce and not considering being a SAHM as their first choice.

Most of the SAHM's, IMO, are out in the sticks with low education at best. .
Among my group of friends, most of us finished our degrees in our early 20's, and had our first child in our late 20's - early 30's. So we did "jump in" to the workforce and work for a good 7 -10 years before becoming SAHM's. And most of my friends met their DH's in college or at work, i.e. when they were getting their degrees or putting them to use.

Out in the sticks, I suspect the percentage of SAHM's as well as Dad's that work outside the home that have college degrees is much lower than areas in or near large cities. I don't think these women you refer to who "live in the sticks and have babies young" are marrying highly educated men. People usually tend to marry their equals.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I submit it is relevant. Many of us have discussed our (higher) education somewhere in this thread. I'd invite you to join us. It might help us understand your opinions.
So.

and you understand my opinions well enough..I'm not typing in French

Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
I learned 2 + 2 = 4

that's all.
Thank you for answering the question regarding your educational level.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Among my group of friends, most of us finished our degrees in our early 20's, and had our first child in our late 20's - early 30's. So we did "jump in" to the workforce and work for a good 7 -10 years before becoming SAHM's. And most of my friends met their DH's in college or at work, i.e. when they were getting their degrees or putting them to use.

Out in the sticks, I suspect the percentage of SAHM's as well as Dad's that work outside the home that have college degrees is much lower than areas in or near large cities. I don't think these women you refer to who "live in the sticks and have babies young" are marrying highly educated men. People usually tend to marry their equals.
the majority of those SAHM's in the sticks don't know how to use a computer either. I forgot to add that.

all of you on here now are mostly exceptions to the SAHM rule.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
Default Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
you're welcome

can I have some Ice Cream now?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
So.

and you understand my opinions well enough..I'm not typing in French
But I want to understand them clearly! You've contradicted yourself more than once.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
A mother's place is indeed in the home if at all possible. if they can afford to do it.
Say's who? You?

A mother's place is wherever the mother chooses it to be. Mother is certainly the most important role I have ever held in my life but is not the only role.

It is beyond silly to say that a mother's role is in the home and a father's role is to be at work. It not only makes sweeping generalizations about women but denigrates the importance of a father and actual fathering.

Quote:
I'm just talking to the frustrations of why a lot of SAHM's don't wanna stay at home and the possible reasons behind that. and IMO, I think it's mainly educational frustrations and not wanting to sit for a degree or anything else. so being a SAHM for them is a emotional draining experience and they want out some kinda way.
Your opinions have already been shown to be completely based on nothing even close to a fact. I suspect your statement that a lot of SAHMs don't want to stay home" is another one of your highly suspect opinions. Do you have anything concrete to support this idea or is is just something you made up?

Because the reality is that for an ever growing number of women staying at home is a choice. Granted it will feel more like a sacrifice to some than others but that is the nature of individuals.

Quote:
Those that do like being SAHM's get the trophy, IMO. especially if they can afford to do it.
What trophy? That of your positive opinion? Given the illogical opinions you seem to be spouting I do not think it would be much appreciated by anyone.

Quote:
and I think the shift is more motivated from all the spin and hype from TV pitting Men vs. Women when it comes to whose the breadwinner and who holds down the house. and it's making women want to compete when there no need to.
Many women WANT to work. You do realize that right? I love my job, both of them (most of the time lol). They are way more fulfilling to me than anything I have done except for raising my child. I also make significantly more money than my boyfriend. But it is not a competition between us about income because we both love what we do.

And my desire to be a scientist had nothing to do with TV (which I almost never watch) and everything to do with my parents and my own interests.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 AM

85 posts, read 110,774 times
I would say it's opposite...most of the SAHMs I know have a college degree, myself included. I know one (cousin) who has just a high school diploma. I would venture it is easier to be a SAHM in households where people are highly educated, and therefore have more income potential. Where I live it seems to be the more affluent homes with SAHMs, not the uneducated or poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting