U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM

4,459 posts, read 3,932,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Since when does every single action you take have to be something that "matters"? Seriously, can't you just do something because it's fun or because you want to?
We shoot for both. Sometimes simultaneously, sometimes not. This morning, for example, I'm making cookies, which are definitely not Meaningful in a Cosmic Sense, but full of ridiculous amounts of butter and brown sugar and yummy as all get out. (And which requires approximately 12 minutes of down time punctuated by eight to ten minutes of actual work-- so it's not like I can go adopt Biafran orphans or feed some guy's sheep at the same time or anything.) I enumerated the things that "matter", in a Making The World A Better Place For Children and Fluffy Puppies sense, because I assumed that was what was being asked; the traditional endless Oprah-and-bonbon-eating marathons I figured were a given.
And apparently, all that was really required was a placeholder post so that another party could say "I did that working, backwards, in high heels, and with one hand tied behind my back".

Last edited by Aconite; 10-05-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Because several posters are going for sainthood with their holier than thou attitudes. Gotta love the moms who have to tell you all the great and wonderful things they do with their precious free hours. It's amazing that they have time to eat, sleep or attend to bodily functions.
What? You mean I'm supposed to take time out to bathe? Darn, that probably explains the lack of playdates...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I'm sure that I will be condemned on this board for having this attitude but frankly, it is my life, my family is pretty content and I'm happy. Now to get my lazy butt to the gym and pry myself away from these boards.

Chao!!
Not a bit. You do what works best for you. Personally, I'd rather do almost anything than go to the gym, so you get extra brownie points (if not extra brownies, I guess those would be counterproductive) for that one, IMO.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM

21,556 posts, read 12,143,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd really love to hear how you fill the hours with meaningful stuff.
It had to be meaningful?

Shoot. You are going to hate hearing how many days we went to Disneyland.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I am curious as to why SES makes such a difference?
She who dies with the most toys wins...something. I don't know what.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM

573 posts, read 629,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
She who dies with the most toys wins...something. I don't know what.
Well, my parents spoil our kids, so I win .

And we trust our kids to this person to educate them... It makes homeschooling all the more appealing.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,179,490 times
Quote:
Because several posters are going for sainthood with their holier than thou attitudes. Gotta love the moms who have to tell you all the great and wonderful things they do with their precious free hours. It's amazing that they have time to eat, sleep or attend to bodily functions.

Slinks off to fire up my computer game and eat some sugary cereal along with killing orcs and goblins. Oops, first have to sweep the dust bunnies off my desk.......
Bodily functions!!??? Helloooooo, isn't that what bed-side commodes are for? Okay, in this case....computer-side commodes. Catheters come in handy too, although they ARE notorious for causing bladder infections!

Sleep? Who sleeps?....Eat? That's what coffee is for! Isn't it?

Aconite: I don't think it's a matter of dying with the most toys, it's about showing off all those toys that you've WORKED SO HARD FOR ....so that you have something to lord over everyone else. "See my toys! Look at all of my toys! When I'm a lonely old bitter person, because I worked constantly and didn't spend time doing meaningless things like spending time with my family, said family will be selling all of these fabulous toys at a garage sale or on Craigslist, while I sit alone in a nursing home complaining about how ungrateful my children are for all of the hours I put into my work....providing for them!"

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Bodily functions!!??? Helloooooo, isn't that what bed-side commodes are for? Okay, in this case....computer-side commodes. Catheters come in handy too, although they ARE notorious for causing bladder infections!

Sleep? Who sleeps?....Eat? That's what coffee is for! Isn't it?

Aconite: I don't think it's a matter of dying with the most toys, it's about showing off all those toys that you've WORKED SO HARD FOR ....so that you have something to lord over everyone else. "See my toys! Look at all of my toys! When I'm a lonely old bitter person, because I worked constantly and didn't spend time doing meaningless things like spending time with my family, said family will be selling all of these fabulous toys at a garage sale or on Craigslist, while I sit alone in a nursing home complaining about how ungrateful my children are for all of the hours I put into my work....providing for them!"
'Sokay with me. Then the impoverished families of SAHMs can buy 'em, cheap.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,179,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
'Sokay with me. Then the impoverished families of SAHMs can buy 'em, cheap.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM

9,939 posts, read 7,240,659 times
“No one on their deathbed ever says they wish they had spent more time at the office” --- Paul Tsongas

Tsongas gave up his political career to spend his time with his family after he was diagnosed with lymphoma. He vanished to the public in order to materialize for his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting