U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM
 
Location: here
17,004 posts, read 14,321,970 times
Reputation: 13905

Advertisements

An older and wiser friend once told me to "work to live, not live to work."

 
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
3,388 posts, read 1,787,036 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
“No one on their deathbed ever says they wish they had spent more time at the office” --- Paul Tsongas
When I was in grad school, one of the highly successful Professors Emeriti told my incoming class the exact same thing in order to help us remember that balance is important.
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,159 posts, read 16,766,875 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
An older and wiser friend once told me to "work to live, not live to work."
I would agree with that friend. Fortunately, most of us do not live to work. Working for a living is just one part of our lives.

I have, however, known some interesting poeple who lived to work. If it's really what you enjoy in life, there's nothing wrong with that.
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,159 posts, read 16,766,875 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
“No one on their deathbed ever says they wish they had spent more time at the office” --- Paul Tsongas

Tsongas gave up his political career to spend his time with his family after he was diagnosed with lymphoma. He vanished to the public in order to materialize for his family.
I would disagree with that. I'm sure there are people who wish they'd made a discovery or worked harder to cure a disease on their death beds. Frankly, it's not the people who spent lots of time with family we remember in history. It's the ones who impacted the future.

I am certain I will regret not working harder to accomplish something on my death bed....unless I actually manage to accomplish something with lasting value before I die.

Fortunately, there are a lot of hours in a year to spend doing lots of things.
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
 
21,926 posts, read 12,722,752 times
Reputation: 23496
I accomplished something with lasting value: my children.

I win! Happy dance. Cookies all around.
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
 
5,954 posts, read 2,929,229 times
Reputation: 7099
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I accomplished something with lasting value: my children.

I win! Happy dance. Cookies all around.
Yes, Dew, you most certainly do win.
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,251,691 times
Reputation: 4371
I want snickerdoodles!
 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: here
17,004 posts, read 14,321,970 times
Reputation: 13905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I would disagree with that. I'm sure there are people who wish they'd made a discovery or worked harder to cure a disease on their death beds. Frankly, it's not the people who spent lots of time with family we remember in history. It's the ones who impacted the future.

I am certain I will regret not working harder to accomplish something on my death bed....unless I actually manage to accomplish something with lasting value before I die.

Fortunately, there are a lot of hours in a year to spend doing lots of things.
Well, if being remembered in the history books is what's important to you, you better get working on that cure for cancer, or whatever. For the other 99.9% of the population, being remembered as a good and caring wife and mother is more important and more realistic. I mean, come on... how many people do you think come THAT close to an amazing discovery or invention?
 
Old 10-05-2011, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,159 posts, read 16,766,875 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I accomplished something with lasting value: my children.

I win! Happy dance. Cookies all around.
What our children will accomplish remains to be seen. They are not our accomplishments.
 
Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Denver area
17,064 posts, read 12,267,574 times
Reputation: 19373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What our children will accomplish remains to be seen. They are not our accomplishments.
Speak for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top