Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, maybe your daughter did. (See "Boy Crazy" thread.) One of the number one reasons teenaged girls seek inappropriate attention from boys is because they're lacking attention at home. Not that I want to retort to your methods of debate, but it's food for thought.
Exactly what I said a few pages up, which Ivory successfully chose to ignore because it doesn't fit in with her theories.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Prove it's beneficial. Where's the benefit of extra time with kids? How has this time improved outcomes? If it was needed, it should be very easy to show improved outcomes because of this extra time.
And this: Children in America: Effects of Working Parents on Child Development - a knol by John Landers

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Exactly what I said a few pages up, which Ivory successfully chose to ignore because it doesn't fit in with her theories.
Oops, I must have missed that. Sorry, evilcookie.

She does have a tendency to ignore posts that specifically call her out and refute what she's saying...

Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Are snide side comments your only contribution here?

No, this has nothing to do with a lack of a sense of humor. I don't find what we're doing to our kids one bit funny. I think we're stealing their childhoods for some mompetition and I think that is wrong.
Haha, apparently so, since you clearly choose to ignore any valid points that are made and never respond to serious questions - you could respond to the post I wrote above that one, with some legitimate questions for you to address. I just found it funny that you completely didn't get the humour in your response to somebodynew's comment - I'm not gonna bother explaining since it went right over your head.

And I'll repeat again, since you chose to ignore it the first time around:
No one is forcing you personally to raise your kids in any kind of way! There's no "hover-over-your-child" police! No one is "stealing" your kids' childhoods! You are free to kick them out for weeks at a time if you so wish, I for one wouldn't give a flying crap. What I don't get is why you're so concerned about how everyone else is raising their kids, their "stolen childhoods", and why you think your opinion is the only right one? Again, this is worth repeating: maybe you should stop telling others how to raise their kids and focus on raising your own. Based on your threads, there's plenty of work left to be done there.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
My honor student is going to call BS on that article.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Prove it's beneficial. Where's the benefit of extra time with kids? How has this time improved outcomes? If it was needed, it should be very easy to show improved outcomes because of this extra time.
Mm why don't you prove that it's somehow detrimental? Seriously, show me studies that show that spending more time with kids is worse for them. I love how you conveniently rely on your own opinions and anecdotal examples to support your points, while asking for scientific proof from others to support theirs.

I, for one, don't spend time with my kid because I think it'll make him richer in the future or whatever the hell your definition of a "better outcome" is. I choose to spend time with him because it's fun and it makes us both happy, because he's growing up so fast and it's amazing to play with him and watch him grow and learn and develop and make him laugh, and he'll only be this little once. No one forced me to have him, I chose it and I'm sure as hell going to enjoy every moment of his childhood, why wouldn't I?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Ivory, why does something NEED to be beneficial? I am going to take DD to get her hair done in an hour for her homecoming dance tonight... sure, in the long run it won't "matter". But I'm doing it because I know it will make her feel beautiful. I had kids for a reason- because I wanted to spend time with them and yes, occasionally make them feel special. Is there something wrong with that?

Sorry, but I don't see how kicking your kids out the door at 8am and telling them not to come back until dinner makes you mother of the year...
My mom as Mother of the Year..... LOL! I was a free range kid who got kicked out everyday. Yes, my mom knew I was safe. She (and my dad) made sure we had food on the table, clothes to wear and that we weren't flunking out of school.

But, past that point the reality is they weren't really all that interested in us. I don't remember ever crying as a kid or teen where one or the other of my parents told me to buck up and get over whatever it was. My mom was never concerned about doing something special for any of us or worried about spending time with us. I'm not saying my parents were cruel, they did for us what had to be done. They were just unconcerned about having an emotional relationship with us kids. My siblings and I still joke that our mom was a charter member of the "Mothering by Benign Neglect Club".

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Quote:
Oops, I must have missed that. Sorry, evilcookie.

She does have a tendency to ignore posts that specifically call her out and refute what she's saying...
yes she does

Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 AM

613 posts, read 991,073 times
Quote:
Mm why don't you prove that it's somehow detrimental? Seriously, show me studies that show that spending more time with kids is worse for them. I love how you conveniently rely on your own opinions and anecdotal examples to support your points, while asking for scientific proof from others to support theirs.

I, for one, don't spend time with my kid because I think it'll make him richer in the future or whatever the hell your definition of a "better outcome" is. I choose to spend time with him because it's fun and it makes us both happy, because he's growing up so fast and it's amazing to play with him and watch him grow and learn and develop and make him laugh, and he'll only be this little once. No one forced me to have him, I chose it and I'm sure as hell going to enjoy every moment of his childhood, why wouldn't I?
And you didn't even have to do any Math to figure this one out! Priceless!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
I, for one, don't spend time with my kid because I think it'll make him richer in the future or whatever the hell your definition of a "better outcome" is.
I think we have a winner here!

I spend time with my kids because I love them not because I think it will get them a better job, etc....I attend their games and concerts because I love them and I am interested in the things they are doing. I think that's why most parents spend time with their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting