Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 PM

89 posts, read 174,878 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Internet is both a bliss and a damnation for me, when it comes to my kid. On one hand I find loads of info, on the other hand...the pieces of information are contradicting themselves!

I am searching for some links (or even some answers from you, if you're kind enough to take the time) to display the following info:

1. A good solids introduction chart, for a breastfed baby.
I keep finding at 4,5,6 months the start point; on one chart an aliment is welcomed, on another one it's strictly forbidden and so on. And everyone says "he will let you know when he's ready". Well, chewing and trying to eat everything he finds in his hands counts? Or is he just exploring perhaps? How will he let me know exactly, I doubt he'll shout from his crib "yo mum, go make me a sandwich"

2. If there is even such thing, a list with all the REALLY worrying things you should know or observe. (not the very obvious stuff ofc, such as "my child is getting green with polka dots, should I worry or not.")

It's my first child and I panick at every little thing, from his poo color and ending up with his deep sleep phase. I kept checking on the internet and also asking the medic at our monthly visits and all of my fears proved to be harmless. But, however, when is it really time to panic?
Our ped. says that I should worry only if he has fever + refusal to eat + nausea, but on the other hand she told me that these symptoms can also be provoked by teething.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,084,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
Hello,

Internet is both a bliss and a damnation for me, when it comes to my kid. On one hand I find loads of info, on the other hand...the pieces of information are contradicting themselves!

I am searching for some links (or even some answers from you, if you're kind enough to take the time) to display the following info:

I keep finding at 4,5,6 months the start point; on one chart an aliment is welcomed, on another one it's strictly forbidden and so on. And everyone says "he will let you know when he's ready". Well, chewing and trying to eat everything he finds in his hands counts? Or is he just exploring perhaps? How will he let me know exactly, I doubt he'll shout from his crib "yo mum, go make me a sandwich"

2. If there is even such thing, a list with all the REALLY worrying things you should know or observe. (not the very obvious stuff ofc, such as "my child is getting green with polka dots, should I worry or not.")

It's my first child and I panick at every little thing, from his poo color and ending up with his deep sleep phase. I kept checking on the internet and also asking the medic at our monthly visits and all of my fears proved to be harmless. But, however, when is it really time to panic?
Our ped. says that I should worry only if he has fever + refusal to eat + nausea, but on the other hand she told me that these symptoms can also be provoked by teething.

Thank you!

Let mother nature instincts kick in. Use your own judgement. Use common sense..If you keep worrying your not going to enjoy your time with your baby..

Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 AM

89 posts, read 174,878 times
No, I'd rather ask a pediatrician or a parenting forum instead of Mother Nature, really.

When my son developed middle ear infection at 1 months, you know what mother nature told me? To keep holding him and soothing him. Very well, but how was that sorting out his ear infection? It was not, and until i got to a doctor who showed me that my baby was in physical pain, I could've nurtured the heck out of it and nothing would have been solved.

I did not know how to track ear infection (touch with both thumbs a certain point of the ear lobe to see if the pressure is painful) from my instincts. I know it now, from a pediatrician and some more experienced mothers.

As for common sense well common sense applied differently to babies I guess. If you had an adult in your house that kept throwing up or regurgitating you'd probably send him off to the hospital.
However if it's a baby....it's probably just reflux.

Anyways, point 1. is solved, sort of, I got today a chart from my pediatrician with foods that can be introduced after 6 months. Also I've been advised not to start earlier since he's exclusively breastfed. Which is fine by me.....

Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM

834 posts, read 2,679,366 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you!
I was told to only give breastmilk until 6 months. Nutritionally, the baby doesn't need anything further. Then at 6 months you can start cereals, and green vegetables, followed by other vegetables, and then fruits. Otherwise, give your child tiny pieces of the same food you eat. I'd say cereal is a popular starter snack (e.g. Cheerios).

As for the child - obviously call the doctor if you notice the baby is not being is usual self. Certain foods are going to make BM look different colors. For example, blackberries and blueberries will make BM look black. Nothing to worry about there...it's just the food they are eating. If the baby has a fever, my pediatrician stated that if the baby is still jumping and bouncing - or being their usual self there is probably nothing to worry about. Usually after 3 days of continuous fever, then you should visit the pediatrician. Always keep fever reducer medicine at home (Tylenol) just in case you need it.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,897,551 times
I totally understand the first-time mom worries! I was the same way!

I definitely agree consulting with your ped frequently is a good idea and ask him/her for sources of information. Not sure about your practice, but our ped offers free telephone consults with the nursing staff for routine types of questions specific to your child.

I mistrust internet sources, with the exception of nationally or internationally recognized organizations, such as the American Pediatric Association, WHO, CDC, etc., whose information comes for empirical studies and professionally recognized standards.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
I like Dr Sears' "The Baby book" as a general reference guide.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM

530 posts, read 1,161,246 times
My oldest daughter gave me a bit of a crash course on when to worry and when to not worry since she has had her share of trips to the hospital. As someone else mentioned, if your child is sick but playing, it is doubtful you have something to worry about. You just have to keep an eye out for any signs of change/decline. Also, I have found that some complaining actually can be good too. If they have enough energy to complain, then it's less likely you are in an emergency situation. The times that have been the worst for my daughter have been when she has gotten sick, declined and then started to become rather nonresponsive--not looking at me, acknowledging me, responding to questions (when older), etc. Here are some things that have been a sign of trouble for us or that we've been told to check for:

1.) Chronic coughing-This can be a sign of breathing trouble. If they are coughing a lot at bedtime, be particularly aware. A dry hacking cough can be a sign of wheezing and asthma, which can start at any age. A pneumonia cough can start dry and then change to a wet one.
2.) Unusual sounds when breathing--Sometimes you can put your ear on a child's back and listen. If you hear squeaky sounds or something that sounds unusual, that can be bad.
3.) Overall change in skin color. If your child looks unusually red or unusually pale all over, this can be a sign of blood pressure changes. This is a pronounced change--Your child will look noticeably different.
4.) Breaking out in hives after eating a food--likely signs of a food allergy
5.) Severe abdominal pain in the lower right side--can be signs of an appendix problem. Pain in the middle of the belly usually is nothing.
6.) Any fever in the first month of life--normal protocol calls for hospitalization, spinal tap etc.
7.) A stiff neck with a fever--possibly bad news
8.) Signs of dehydration during a stomach virus--dry mouth, no tears etc.

Doctors may have some other bad signs, but these are some big ones. In the scope of things, other common childhood problems are minor. Ear infections are irritating, but many doctors don't even treat them now because they have found the antibiotics may be more harmful than helpful. Colds, stomach viruses, fevers etc. etc. come and go, and usually just require rest and loving. It may all seem scary, but the good thing about kids is that they usually bounce back rather quickly. One day they'll be sick and you'll be worried, and the next day they are smiling at you!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,084,118 times
Quote:
No, I'd rather ask a pediatrician or a parenting forum instead of Mother Nature, really.

When my son developed middle ear infection at 1 months, you know what mother nature told me? To keep holding him and soothing him. Very well, but how was that sorting out his ear infection? It was not, and until i got to a doctor who showed me that my baby was in physical pain, I could've nurtured the heck out of it and nothing would have been solved.

I did not know how to track ear infection (touch with both thumbs a certain point of the ear lobe to see if the pressure is painful) from my instincts. I know it now, from a pediatrician and some more experienced mothers.

As for common sense well common sense applied differently to babies I guess. If you had an adult in your house that kept throwing up or regurgitating you'd probably send him off to the hospital.
However if it's a baby....it's probably just reflux.

Anyways, point 1. is solved, sort of, I got today a chart from my pediatrician with foods that can be introduced after 6 months. Also I've been advised not to start earlier since he's exclusively breastfed. Which is fine by me.....

Thats where the common sense comes in? Your making it harder than it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting