Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Sure, there are practical uses, but they don't need another glass screen to stare at all day.

The only time our kids are away from us is when they are at school, or with friends, family, or friends family members who have a phone (house, cell, or otherwise) at their disposal. We're never in a position where we "can't" get a hold of our kids.

Our kids don't go places where we wouldn't be able to find them. We don't just let our kids wander to wherever they want to go, and if they did, they'd be in big trouble when they got home.

Another thing society-wise that really bothers me is cell phones in middle/high schools. When I was in HS (not that long ago, 1997-2001), we would get ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICES taken away from us, post-haste. No questions asked.

Now, we have kids texting in class, during lessons. Sorry, but for me that's not acceptable, my kids aren't going to be preoccupied with their phones when they're supposed to be learning linear equations or Shakespeare. And parents collectively get to use the excuse "but what if there's an emergency?", as if the flood of the century is going to come next week, and come between them and their kids and the kid's cell phone will be the only line of communication......

My wife bought my sister-in-law a cell phone when she was 16. She spent all day texting in class, eventually dropped out of school, and is now 22, never had a job, never had her own place, lives with mommy, is a single mommy of two, and is on welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and whatever other social services she can get her hands on. She spends her days on Facebook, or in front of the TV, with no prospects of ever improving her life. But I still love her.

Now, I'm not saying there's a causal correlation here, but my sister-in-law was coddled as she was brought up, and that did her no good. My kids don't need to have the latest this or that, or all of the devices or luxuries you can pin on a kid. I want my kids to be independent people, independent thinkers, and independent adults. I try and keep the cord cut, but I want them to have boundaries and rules that are followed with a level of efficiency.

I want them to know their roles: They are kids, and their only jobs right now are to perform well in school, keep their chores up, and behave. Other than that, they can have all the fun they want, and we ensure they do. I just think cell phones is taking it a little too far, I'm not going to buy them cars, or their first homes either.
As with anything, you need to teach your kids to use it in moderation and in appropriate situations. I got my girls their phones when they were 12 (the age when I felt they were mature enough and actually NEEDED it- varies by kid) and sat down and went through the "rules" with them such as using it in moderation, NOT in class, and the like. Not sure why a cell phone is such a big deal???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My wife bought my sister-in-law a cell phone when she was 16. She spent all day texting in class, eventually dropped out of school
Well then I guess someone should have taken away the cell phone.

There are plenty of adults that abuse cell phones as well. The problem is not the cell phone - it's the user. As a parent, you have the great opportunity to teach your child cell phone etiquette. And if they can't learn how to use it properly, then you take it away. That simple.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As others have said, it may depend upon the kid and the situation. In my case, my daughter was 8 when her father and I separated, and when she was 10 he got her a cell phone so that he could call her directly. In general, most other kids her age did not yet have cell phones, though.
My younger kids had friends with cell phones around nine or ten, but it's only been the last year (they're 13) that a number of their friends have had them. It seems to be more boys than girls, oddly enough-- don't know why. Mine have access to one for specific situations when they won't be with me (going to a movie with friends, camp, etc) but they don't carry one on a regular basis. That'll probably be in a year or so.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Furthermore, my spouse and I also believe that cell phones, along with unfettered access to computers, gaming systems, etc. will hinder our children from becoming the thoughtful, creative, resilient, attentive, and considerate people we want them to become.
In hindsight, I agree with this. Too much technology hinders learning how to interact and cope with people in real life social situations.

There needs to be balance because outright forbidding the use of technology can severely hinder children in other ways too.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
At 10 yrs old.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's a classroom management issue not a cell phone issue. Before cell phones, kids were not always paying attention to linear equations or Shakespeare either. We just wrote notes, folded them up and passed them instead.
True dat. But giving them further temptation to not pay attention?

Survey: Many teens use phones in class to text or cheat - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Not sure why a cell phone is such a big deal???
I just don't feel that kids need them, or need me to provide them. As I already stated, if my kids want them, they can use their own money to get them. But they most definitely wouldn't be going to school with them.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

Furthermore, my spouse and I also believe that cell phones, along with unfettered access to computers, gaming systems, etc. will hinder our children from becoming the thoughtful, creative, resilient, attentive, and considerate people we want them to become.
I haven't found technology to be that sort of problem with mine, but different children react differently to circumstances.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
My son has had a cell phone since fifth grade. I worked full-time, and often worked out of town ~ not overnight but on day trips.

One day, he got left behind from the school patrol where he was working - to the cub scouts where he was supposed to be.

He got left behind for quite a while; I was working out of town for the day and someone else was doing carpool. It scared me; it scared him and that cell phone has come in HANDY.

He gets great grades; doesn't text in school; doesn't drop his phone.

I found it to be a great investment and really a help to both of us.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Around in our area (New Jersey), most of the kids in my daugther's 5th grade class had cell phones. Many of them had fancy ones.

If my daughter were a latch-key kid, I would probably get her one with stripped down options. Absolutely no texting though. I would like the ability to get in touch with her in case of emergencies, etc. For now, I told her no cell phone. She is on the immature side and there would be a high probability of her misusing it. She told me that several kids on her bus loved to use their cell phones to make crank calls.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,879 times
Interesting point about the unavailability of pay phones these days...my mother used to make sure I had change in the car in high school in case I needed to call for help. On the other hand, I wonder if having the constant connection to Mom & Dad available makes kids less likely to plan ahead or learn to handle problems on their own...the first time I had a dead battery, I simply asked a couple of strangers for help and learned how to jump start a car. But I bet most kids these days would just call their parents for help instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting