U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,511 posts, read 11,170,763 times
Default What is the average hourly rate for daycare?

Not exact, just approx. Drop-ins, long term...?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM

16,698 posts, read 11,150,261 times
Varies greatly depending on where you live, how long, drop-in, contract, age of child, what the parent is providing, supply/demand of the particular sitter/center.....

Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
That's why I said approximate. Washington state.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM

16,581 posts, read 12,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Varies greatly depending on where you live, how long, drop-in, contract, age of child, what the parent is providing, supply/demand of the particular sitter/center.....
this, plus at a regular day care, in my experience, you pay for the day, not by the hour. So even if you only leave the child there for 5 hours, you pay for 10 (or however long they're open).

Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,380,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
You still didn't provide enough information. Is this for all day? A few hours a day? In your home? In a daycare facility? The list goes on. It varies greatly and heavily depends on exactly what you are looking for.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
you'd get better answers just calling some day care centers. It is going to be very different for an infant vs a 4 year old, or a day care center vs a nanny.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM

I did. I got $7.50 for one, $5.00 for another. That's a pretty big gap.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You still didn't provide enough information. Is this for all day? A few hours a day? In your home? In a daycare facility? The list goes on. It varies greatly and heavily depends on exactly what you are looking for.
I dunno....I'd think an hourly rate would be what it is, not depending on anything else. I can't see them charging different hourly rates but let's just say 7 and 8 year olds.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I dunno....I'd think an hourly rate would be what it is, not depending on anything else. I can't see them charging different hourly rates but let's just say 7 and 8 year olds.
they charge more for infants because by law they need more caregivers. I think it is 4 infants to 1 adult. As they get older, the number of kids allowed to be with 1 adult goes way up. If you called a couple, you got your answer. We're not going to be able to give you any better an answer then the ones you already got. $5-$7 sounds about right to me. but, again, it would depend on if you are talking about 40 hours/week, or sporadic hours here and there or what.

At a drop in child care center here I pay $5.50/hour for a 5 and 7 yo. That is a discount because I bought a package.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,857,604 times
Charges for child care will indeed vary widely by age group due to child/staff ratios in centers.

Here in Texas, a caregiver can care for no more than 4 infants alone, yet with 6 yr old and older, they can care for 26 children alone. Therefore it costs far more for infant care than it does for school age care.

Hourly care is typically called drop in care here, and it is done on a space available only basis. Meaning that if they have space within their ratio, then you can bring your child for X amount of hours at that rate for that day. (usually less than 5 hours in a day) For schoolers, since the ratios are much higher, it is easier to offer a drop in/hourly rate.

Having said that....drop in rates are completely different than daily rates or weekly rates.

If you called asking for an hourly rate at a center that doesn't actually have drop in rates, then they might have calculated what they quoted you by dividing their daily rate by the hours they are open. This is not what may actually be charged however.

Centers around here charge one rate for before/after school for ages 7-8, and a full time rate during the summer. The only hourly rate you will find is for a drop in, which can be perhaps as low as $5.00/hour, but can easily head towards 4 times that. It will all depend on what they offer for that rate.

Some center may charge $5.00 but want you to provide lunch/snacks and pay extra for field trips, art/craft supplies or special activities. Others may charge $15/hour and include things dance class, magician appearances or gourmet food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting