Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on male cirumcision.
I am female. 37 38.54%
I am male. 23 23.96%
Yes- circumcision should be done. 36 37.50%
No- why mess with nature. 34 35.42%
Either- both have their benefits. 28 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I think you've made it vehemently clear that no matter what evidence you're presented with, even evidence which you say would change your mind if you saw it, your mind is decided and no fact, no ethical or medical opinion, is going to sway you. I, however, think that when it comes to deciding upon any surgery that informed expert opinions are valuable. It is now very clear to me that we are approaching this subject from two different perspectives. You are arguing from an emotional mindset and I from a medical and ethical mindset. I do not think it will be possible to reconcile these.
I'm not going to take into account YOUR evidence Jason_Els - it is not your job to change my mind and make me think like you. You are preaching to the choir and don't even realize it. Anyone who thinks they are absolutely right and accuses others of having an irrational viewpoint (which is, btw, is thinking from an emotional standpoint) is not credible to me. Move on already, your opinion doesn't matter to me anymore.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2
I'm not going to take into account YOUR evidence Jason_Els.
Isn't that like damning the books because the librarian is ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2
Move on already, your opinion doesn't matter to me anymore.
Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4
I get what you're saying, but to tell you the truth, I found these positions very interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Uhhh dude, not to insult you, but I think that was COMPLETELY CLEAR to the rest of us about 5 pages ago. But thank you for your comment.
You're welcome. I'm glad it wasn't a total waste of time and effort. Sometime I just feel...

Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
You're welcome. I'm glad it wasn't a total waste of time and effort. Sometime I just feel...
Seriously, your opinion does matter. There's just no point trying to convince someone who's point of view is coming from a completely different angle. You do have your right to try, but like you said, you might get a headache trying. And it probably still won't work.

You deserve rep for your efforts.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Now THAT'S barbaric! Just terrible......
Yeah, I thought so too. He was all right with it, accepted it as basically a fact of life, a part of growing up. I was horrified, though.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Jason, Charles and others ... on this subject, I think there are many who are all too happy to keep their blinders on & who prefer to remain ignorant on the issue. Just keep in mind that there are others out there reading this thread and I'm sure a few of them were affected by the evidence presented. I, for one, greatly appreciate your contributions to the discussion.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Jason, Charles and others ... on this subject, I think there are many who are all too happy to keep their blinders on & who prefer to remain ignorant on the issue. Just keep in mind that there are others out there reading this thread and I'm sure a few of them were affected by the evidence presented. I, for one, greatly appreciate your contributions to the discussion.
Thank you for saying so!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Jason, Charles, MrsSteel. I have been open to your point of view (perhaps I didn't make that clear) but that doesn't mean I have to BELIEVE in it. That doesn't make me - or anyone else who doesn't agree with you - stupid sheep or ignorant. Having an open mind means being receptive to the views of others and not judging others based upon your own beliefs. Right? I thought I was respectful of your opinions up until you thought my opinions were "ignorant", "irrational", and when CW decided to sling personal insults (which were deleted). You can get better responses to your views with honey not vinegar. Perhaps if you knew me personally, you'd be less likely to think I was a close-minded, irrational, ignorant fool.

I've given you something to do for the past few days... but now, I'm going to go give my little girl a birthday party. I have no sons, so I'm glad I don't have to decide on this anytime soon! Thank you for at least making me think outside the box.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:49 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
I did not say that you are ignorant, Mommabear2. I said that some people chose to remain ignorant on this subject. Conveniently, you gave us an extremely good example of that.
1. Information was given refuting a claim.
2. You, by your own admission, chose not to read the information ... to ignore it.
That is the very definition of chosing to remain ignorant.
It was not meant as an insult.

Note than a person can be ignorant on an issue (meaning that they are uneducated on the details of an issue), but that in no way means that the person is stupid. Not at all. There is a big difference. Sadly, some people confuse the two. If you were confused by my meaning, Mommabear2, I apologize for creating that confusion.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM

MrsSteel. If I wanted to remain ignorant on this issue, I wouldn't have stayed on this thread as long as I had. I was chosing NOT to be ignorant, by talking to others like you who had a particular view - that is what being open-minded is about.

Ignorance means lacking knowledge or awareness; uneducated and unsophisticated. There was more to this thread than that one post I skipped over. Even though I skipped over that post, I read and understood everything else that you and others wrote. I am filled with more information about this issue compared to the beginning. So, it would therefore make me informed (but chosing to be okay with what I believe) - NOT ignorant. I agree that people can be ignorant about an issue - which at the beginning I was admittedly - but I can't say I am nor can you assume that about me.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 PM

This thread has been interesting - if not addictive. But - I think I really need to go somewhere else where the atmosphere is not so combative. So if I don't respond, think nothing of it.

Peace:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting