U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on male cirumcision.
I am female. 37 38.54%
I am male. 23 23.96%
Yes- circumcision should be done. 36 37.50%
No- why mess with nature. 34 35.42%
Either- both have their benefits. 28 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:41 AM

3,258 posts, read 7,862,298 times

Advertisements

I just recently had a son and we (dad's choice mainly), decided not to get him circumcised. My husband is English and I am American. I know it's a pretty widespead thing to do in America nowadays, but I don't think so much in England (atleast not 30 years ago). I am just concerned growing up in the US that he will start to feel a little awkward since most of the other guys, you know in the locker room or whatever have been. Plus, I have heard some women are pretty freaked out by it. We did agree before he was born, that if our son wanted it done, we would get it done when he's old enough to make the decision sensibly.

So, what I am looking for is opinions from both men and women please based on appearance, cleanliness, sexual experience etc...

Last edited by floridadreamer; 08-09-2007 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 11:48 AM

283 posts, read 1,231,602 times
Circumcision shouldn't be done at child birth. There are no medical benefits and it isn't anymore hygenic than an uncircumcised penis. If the person want's a circumcized penis then let him be the sole decider and don't make the decision for him. I do think it is complete bs that some girl's are freaked out by an uncircumcised penis but what can you do about that?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM

109 posts, read 393,438 times
Default Nooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I just recently had a son and we (dad's choice mainly), decided not to get him circumcised. My husband is English and I am American. I know it's a pretty widespead thing to do in America nowadays, but I don't think so much in England (atleast not 30 years ago). I am just concerned growing up in the US that he will start to feel a little awkward since most of the other guys, you know in the locker room or whatever have been. Plus, I have heard some women are pretty freaked out by it. We did agree before he was born, that if our son wanted it done, we would get it done when he's old enough to make the decision sensibly.

So, what I am looking for is opinions from both men and women please based on appearance, cleanliness, sexual experience etc...
I am sooo agains circumcision.. I find this practise so barbarian.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 AM

786 posts, read 801,414 times
I had never heard of circumcision being done to anyone except a baby, so I thought I'd check out the Wikipedia article on the procedure. Didn't mention anything about circumcising an older child, but there were some R-rated pics.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
I had never heard of circumcision being done to anyone except a baby, so I thought I'd check out the Wikipedia article on the procedure. Didn't mention anything about circumcising an older child, but there were some R-rated pics.
I'm sure it can be done at any age, but obviously it a much more serious procedure on an adult. They did a thing on ER about it a couple seasons ago, some guy in his 20's tried to do it himself.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 9,495,629 times
My son's father (42) was born in Germany and was not circumcised until he was 12 and had moved to the US. He decided to have it done as he was humiliated to be so different from the other boys. To this day he regards this as the single most painful event in his life.

When our son was born I debated about having it done but in the end we did. I did not want him embarassed or shy about his penis. When I first saw it (after the prodecure) in the hospital I cried. I had read many articles about STDs and cancer being less prevelant in a male that had been circumcised so this is one of the positives I debated over. To this day I still have mixed feelings about it.

Majority rules unfortunately and in the future I am hoping that more people can be brave enough to deny this practise so that their children will feel no shame about the bodies they were born with. I wish I had been.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM

786 posts, read 801,414 times
... google "teen circumcision" for some good reading on the subject.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM

There is a rather large population of hispanic in the US, and it's getting larger all the time. As far as I am aware, circumcision isn't done very much in south and central america, so maybe as time goes on, it will be a kind of 50/50 deal so boys won't be bothered as much.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM

3,402 posts, read 11,982,472 times
I think... "letting him make the decision on whether to be C'd or not when he is older" ...is a little unfair. What guy is going to volunteer to have his Sparky go under the knife? lol, he will find some other reason to justify avoiding this procedure, if the subject is broached at a later date.

I have never heard of circumsizing at an older age ~ if you don't do it as a child, I would strongly suggest not doing it at all.

And there is a world of links, to the negative side of not having it done.
It increases the chances of disease and serious health issues as he grows older, if it is left unscircumsized.

from Circumcision: Pros and Cons (http://www.pedsurology.com/circumci.htm - broken link) we have :

1. Circumcision lowers your sonís chances of getting a urinary tract infection (UTI) in the first year of life.

2. Although a rare condition, cancer of the penis is essentially eliminated in circumcised males.

3. Research shows that males who are circumcised have a slightly lower risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

4. Circumcision eliminates foreskin infection that occur at the peak ages of 3 to 5 years.

5. Circumcision prevents phimosis, a narrow opening that makes it impossible to retract the foreskin at a later age.

6. Genital hygiene, which is particularly important in unsanitary conditions, may be easier after circumcision.

and from Circumcision: Weighing the pros and cons - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/circumcision/PR00040 - broken link) we have :

Easier hygiene. Circumcision makes it easy to wash the penis ó although it's simple to clean an uncircumcised penis, too.

Decreased risk of urinary tract infections. The risk of urinary tract infections in the first year is low, but these infections may be up to 10 times as common in uncircumcised baby boys. Severe infections early in life can lead to kidney problems later on.

Prevention of penile problems
. Occasionally, the foreskin on an uncircumcised penis may narrow so much that it's difficult or impossible to retract. This can also lead to inflammation of the head of the penis.

Decreased risk of penile cancer. Although cancer of the penis is very rare, it's less common in circumcised men.

Decreased risk of sexually transmitted diseases
. Safe sexual practices remain essential, but circumcised men may have a slightly lower risk of certain sexually transmitted diseases ó including HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, and human papillomavirus (HPV), which causes genital warts. Some strains of HPV also cause cervical cancer.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM

3,402 posts, read 11,982,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
I do think it is complete bs that some girl's are freaked out by an uncircumcised penis but what can you do about that?

I think, this debate will be enforced by biased positions only, when it comes to men. For instance, 90% of the male population that IS circumsized, will tell you to do it. 90% of the male population that IS NOT, will advise you against it.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything Mexi, ...just calling it as I see it.

I would be interested in hearing what other women's opinion is on this.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 08-09-2007 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting