Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know! Some people have kids they can't afford. Which explains why there are some on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Family size is a personal choice. I don't care how many children are in a family as long as that family can love and support them. I would rather someone have 4-5 kids that they wanted, loved, encouraged and supported than one that they didn't want, neglected and abused. Good parenting is not about the number of children. Each family must make that determination on their own. For some, one is the right choice; for others a large family is just the ticket.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-09-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,276 times
We have 4 and it works. It can be hard and overwhelming. Grocery shopping solo with 4 kids isn't my idea of a good time, but I can't imagine not having any of them in my life.

I could neve imagine myself having just one....I wanted siblings for my children.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,914,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Family size is a personal choice. I don't care how many children are in a family as long as that family can love and support them. I would rather someone have 4-5 kids that they wanted, loved, encouraged and supported than one that they didn't want, neglected and abused. Good parenting is not about the number of children. Each family must make that determination on their own. For some, one is the right choice; for others a large family is just the ticket.
And that is all well and good. But it ignores the overpopulation problem. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Well...I suppose you could argue that "responsible" people shouldn't have any children then. But then you are left with the reality of a generation in the future of children only raised by irresponsible people. Most people have 1-3 children. I 'm not going to lose sleep over the relatively few families who choose otherwise. As long as they parent well and live within their means thats their business.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
To me, it's simple math, God gave me two hands, one for each child.

I agree with the over population issue and the pure economics of raising children in todays economy.

It cost me over 200K to send my children to college, and that is with partial scholerships. Both went to local colleges, so, we are not talking about an education at Harvard.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:46 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
In this day and age of overpopulation ? My answer: more then one is too many.

As much as people like to pretend it doesn't exist, overpopulation and dwindling of resources are REAL facts that need to be paid attention to otherwise we. Are. Screwed.

Yes. I am a card carrying member of zero-population growth. I say put birth control into the water supply, please.
Agree that people aren't taking this as seriously as they should. We are crowded NOW.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:06 PM

604 posts, read 855,940 times
For myself, any number of kids greater than zero is "too many." But for anyone else, I figure it's not my business how many children people have as long as they can care and provide for them all.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
For myself, any number of kids greater than zero is "too many." But for anyone else, I figure it's not my business how many children people have as long as they can care and provide for them all.
^^ This

Old 07-09-2011, 04:31 PM

577 posts, read 899,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
And that is all well and good. But it ignores the overpopulation problem. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Good idea in theory, but I have noticed that the only people who are interested in limiting family size for conscientious reasons are, for the most part, educated secularists. What happens to society when the educated, secular element essentially eliminates itself by choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting