Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Casey Anthony's not guilty verdict sparked Facebook outrage, a couple of Nancy Grace rants, and now a fast-growing petition for a new law. "Caylee's Law," thought up by Oklahoma mom of two Michelle Crowder, would require parents and guardians to report a child's disappearance to police immediately. Caylee Anthony was last seen June 16, but was not reported missing for a full month.

Casey Anthony Not Guilty Verdict Inspires Petition for 'Caylee's Law'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
How would you word that law:

Define "Disappearance".

Define "Immediately".

It sounds like all you want to do is to pile on more and more laws, in the hopes that people that YOU think are guilty will certainly have committed at least one of them, no matter how innocent they are of anything else.

How about making possession of duct tape a felony, too, so as a last resort, you can nail people for that after a jury finds them innocent but you want them to burn.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-09-2011 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I too think the talk of these new laws is silly. It's not a productive use of law enforcement. The law I read about was for children 12 and under. What is immediately? A parent might not know a 10 year old out playing in the neighborhood is missing immediately. I read one law that required a parent to report a death within 2 hours of death. How can a parent whose child dies of sudden infant death syndrom follow that law? The Anthony case is rare, not a reason to make new laws.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I agree with jturr and Hopes.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How would you word that law:

Define "Disappearance".

Define "Immediately".

It sounds like all you want to do is to pile on more and more laws, in the hopes that people that YOU think are guilty will certainly have committed at least one of them, no matter how innocent they are of anything else.

How about making possession of duct tape a felony, too, so as a last resort, you can nail people for that after a jury finds them innocent but you want them to burn.
I totally agree!!! While these laws are nade up by well intentioned people...we al know about good intentions...The problem ends up being that there is usually little to no leeway and prosecutors often use them to make a name for themslves even in cases where common sense would say otherwise.
Like for instanc,e a child dies in accident in a remote area, cell-phones don't work, or battery is dead...(camping or some such) It may take 2 hours to reach help...common sense would say "don't charge the parent"...but, often common sense is thrown out the window

Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Laws named after victims are rarely any good. I immediately want to say NO.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Agreed. My neighbor, when she was 11, decided to "run away from home" after school one day. She ended up at my house and slept over. My mom called her mom to let her know, but no one was home at the time. The mom came home around 5, and assumed my friend was out with the other neighborhood kids playing. Which - she was, in my yard, with 3 or 4 other kids we all hung out with. But the mom didn't KNOW that. She just assumed it.

My mom tried again around 6, got her mom, and they talked it over and she got permission to sleep over (a cooling off period for both mom and kid, they had a blow-up that morning over some dumb kid thing and everyone decided it'd be a good idea for mom and kid to get a one-day break from each other).

My friend had been "missing" since 1:30 pm. She was "discovered" at 6pm when my mom called. Her mom didn't realize she was "missing" until that point. Should she have been arrested for not calling the police at 1:30? At 5PM?

Silly law, makes no sense, is not enforceable at all, and only serves to annoy people whose children aren't really missing, but are just in a neighbor's yard doing what kids DO - which is neglecting to leave a note on the table saying, "I'm in the neighbor's yard."

Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Agreed. My neighbor, when she was 11, decided to "run away from home" after school one day. She ended up at my house and slept over. My mom called her mom to let her know, but no one was home at the time. The mom came home around 5, and assumed my friend was out with the other neighborhood kids playing. Which - she was, in my yard, with 3 or 4 other kids we all hung out with. But the mom didn't KNOW that. She just assumed it.

My mom tried again around 6, got her mom, and they talked it over and she got permission to sleep over (a cooling off period for both mom and kid, they had a blow-up that morning over some dumb kid thing and everyone decided it'd be a good idea for mom and kid to get a one-day break from each other).

My friend had been "missing" since 1:30 pm. She was "discovered" at 6pm when my mom called. Her mom didn't realize she was "missing" until that point. Should she have been arrested for not calling the police at 1:30? At 5PM?

Silly law, makes no sense, is not enforceable at all, and only serves to annoy people whose children aren't really missing, but are just in a neighbor's yard doing what kids DO - which is neglecting to leave a note on the table saying, "I'm in the neighbor's yard."
Yeah, those things happen quite frequently. Kids are kids. My son went to the park with a friend, had his cell-phone was not alone and is 12....no problem right?
Well....I callled him to come home, several times,no answer. I went up to the park...no kids. Finally, he calls me. Turns out, they were in the neighbors yard. The neighbor (to the park) is a friend of his, and the kids were on the trampoline..his phone (on vibrate) was on the picnic table..oh and they have a privacy fence.
He "knows" if he leaves and goes elsewhere he needs to check first but I guess in his mind, he wasn't really leaving because they were next door...so we had another talk and clarifying of "leaving" and "elsewhere" lol

Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree with jturr and Hopes.
Me three.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,889 times
Wow, I can only agree with the posts above.

Weird day for me on C-D forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting