U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,827,698 times

Advertisements

i think the intent behind it is good, but really, I (personally) feel that a law like this will make no difference to someone whose trying to hide or cover up something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM

15,230 posts, read 16,727,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Agreed. My neighbor, when she was 11, decided to "run away from home" after school one day. She ended up at my house and slept over. My mom called her mom to let her know, but no one was home at the time. The mom came home around 5, and assumed my friend was out with the other neighborhood kids playing. Which - she was, in my yard, with 3 or 4 other kids we all hung out with. But the mom didn't KNOW that. She just assumed it.

My mom tried again around 6, got her mom, and they talked it over and she got permission to sleep over (a cooling off period for both mom and kid, they had a blow-up that morning over some dumb kid thing and everyone decided it'd be a good idea for mom and kid to get a one-day break from each other).

My friend had been "missing" since 1:30 pm. She was "discovered" at 6pm when my mom called. Her mom didn't realize she was "missing" until that point. Should she have been arrested for not calling the police at 1:30? At 5PM?

Silly law, makes no sense, is not enforceable at all, and only serves to annoy people whose children aren't really missing, but are just in a neighbor's yard doing what kids DO - which is neglecting to leave a note on the table saying, "I'm in the neighbor's yard."
That is a lot different though than a two year old being missing. With toddlers and preschoolers, I would think parents would have to know where their kids are.

I think it might be a bad law, but then again, I think that parents whose children go missing should most certainly report that.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,535,265 times
I agree with most of PP's. It's a do-nothing, feel good law. Any good parent already would notify LE of a missing child.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,524,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How would you word that law:

Define "Disappearance".

Define "Immediately".

It sounds like all you want to do is to pile on more and more laws, in the hopes that people that YOU think are guilty will certainly have committed at least one of them, no matter how innocent they are of anything else.

How about making possession of duct tape a felony, too, so as a last resort, you can nail people for that after a jury finds them innocent but you want them to burn.

I agree.

More legislature which accomplishes nothing except make people feel better about this decision and give law enforcement another wedge to criminalize citizens. Think it through.

Can you imagine a normal parent who doesn't panic because their child is late or there is a miscommunication on where they are supposed to be or is asleep when their child is supposed to return home from somewhere so they don't realize until later and god forbid something terrible happens.

Now on top of a terrible tragedy, they are also criminalized for being human.
I have serious concerns about police judgement and the common sense in our judicial system.

YouTube - ‪POLICE BRUTALITY - Pigs Beat Up Man After He Just Finds Out His Son Committed Suicide‬‏

Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,340,658 times
How long do I have before I have to report my child missing? If she goes to the store with a friend and the friend's mom, and they are 5 minutes late, do I have to report her missing? Or, is it a couple of hours? 24 hours? If my DD is spending the night at a friend's house, does the clock start ticking from the time she left my sight or at noon the next day when DD doesn't come home?

Let's say she is staying at Grandma's house for 2 weeks. Do I have to call and report her missing every day because I haven't seen her and can't confirm that she is actually still there? If I don't report it and she is actually missing, I will get into trouble. So, to be safe, from now on I will call and report her missing any time she is not in my sight. Even if she is at school or daycare. Better safe than sorry, right?

I agree with the basics of the law, but I don't see how it can be enforced fairly. There are so many exceptions that need to be taken into consideration. I just don't think it will work and a lot of innocent people will end up in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or