Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,175 times

Advertisements

Oh, I'm such a name freak I love the "classic, but not old person" names. It's a good thing I didn't have another child, otherwise I would've killed myself over Olivia, Anna, Mia, Ella, Gabrielle, Lily, Lucy and Claire for a girl or Carter, Owen, Henry, Samuel, Gabriel, Grant and Jack for a boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 PM

992 posts, read 2,371,931 times
Old names right here!
Catherine Grace
Charlotte Elizabeth
Colin Edward
Evangeline Kate

Yes. Our children WILL grow up someday!

I LOVE my children's names! Love them!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 AM

88,489 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree that boys' names don't tend toward the trendy quite as much as girls...but when was the last time you heard about anyone named Augustus? Or Gilbert Or Hiram? Even what were common names when I was growing up (akin to "Linda"): Joe, Tim, Tom, Philip? You are much more likely to hear: Colton, Jacob, Blake etc.
"Jacob" was an old-man name that made a comeback. That was the name of my grandfather, born in 1905, and my uncle. I know a Tim and a Phil who are teenagers. Their father is a preacher, so maybe he was sticking with bible names.

Laughed at Hiram--that was my great-grandfather's name. No one in the family has chosen it since, lol.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
my last two kids have names chosen that are more old fashioned and not at the top of the lists. My 13 yr old is anna and that name has come up on the top 100 over the last few years, but never in the top 20. My son is joel and that hasn't even made the top 100 for years now (and is a name you cannot find on virtually any pre-printed items...you can find joe or joseph, but not joel)

in his grade level at school there are girls named gladys, hazel, audrey, natalie and priscilla....and boys named leonardo, edward, gabriel, edwin, julian and josiah.

Right alongside hayden/jayden/aidan/jaelen/brayden and harmony, princess and samaritan just to name a few....lol
somebody named their baby samaritan??????

Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Old names right here!
Catherine Grace
Charlotte Elizabeth
Colin Edward
Evangeline Kate

I love these names too. I love the older, classic names

Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Grandma Neveah, anyone? LOL
How about Grandma Summer? And her old-lady friends Brianna and Madison?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,190,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's fun to read the naming threads on this forum and I find it interesting to see that names that were once considered old lady names by my generation are very popular now. Names like Sophia, Grace, Hannah, Olivia.
It makes me wonder if some of the other names that are very outdated at this point will become trendy in the near future.
A couple of names pulled from another thread were Ethel and Myrtle. What about Mabel or Edna? Do you think those names could become trendy again?

I like some of the old names, I could see myself naming a child Clara, or perhaps Della.
Would you pick a name from the past like that in an attempt to give your child a rather unique name? What would you pick?
Two of my girls have Old Lady names. The third's Old Lady name has become trendy, and no longer counts as one-- though she's about 10 years ahead of the curve. My son's is one of those classic, timeless-- anonymous-- "guy" names. If I were naming siblings for them (which thank all the heavens I'm not!) I like Judith, Louisa, Lillian, Violet for girls; Edward, Wesley, and Stuart for boys (Theodore, too, though I suspect that one might get his butt kicked). We considered Patricia and Paula for youngest dd, and ds came very close to being Julian...which has apparently made a comeback, so I'm glad we didn't go there.

Last edited by Aconite; 07-10-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Two of my girls have Old Lady names. The third's Old Lady name has become trendy, and no longer counts as one-- though she's about 10 years ahead of the curve. My son's is one of those classic, timeless-- anonymous-- "guy" names. If I were naming siblings for them (which thank all the heavens I'm not!) I like Judith, Louisa, Lillian, Violet for girls; Edward, Wesley, and Stuart for boys (Theodore, too, though I suspect that one might get his butt kicked). We considered Patricia and Paula for youngest dd, and ds came very close to being Julian...which has apparently made a comeback, so I'm glad we didn't go there.
My neighbor has a little girl named Lillian. Her son is Harrison.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A big trend I have noticed is that kids no longer go by any nickname. Elizabeth wants to be called that, not Liz, or Beth. Some of my sons' friends names are Andrew, Thomas, Robert, etc. Always called by their full names, unlike when I was a kid.
As they get older, a lot of the guys start going by nicknames anyway. "Gabriel" becomes "Gabe", etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,573,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Old names right here!
Catherine Grace
Charlotte Elizabeth
Colin Edward
Evangeline Kate

Isn't it time to change your screen name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting