U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,477,204 times

Advertisements

I am just curious as I know nothing about homeschooling. I have a neighbor who once mentioned that she homeschooled other people's children. I didn't ask her if she charged for this service as I know it's none of my business. But I was left wondering, CAN a parent who is homeschooling her child take on other people's kids and homeschool them too and charge a tuition?
I am in Texas and I know different states have different regulations.
Also, for those of you who currently homeschool, how difficult is it to teach children at different grade levels at the same time? Say a 7th grader and a 3rd grader?

Thanks for all your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:50 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,687,764 times
In my area, homeschooling parents group together and teach each other's children. The parent who is a scientist will teach science, the mathemetician will teach match, etc. They don't charge tuition because they are a co-op: all of the parents particiate and bring some skill or talent to the table. I also know wealthy parents who homeschool via highering professionals to teach courses they can't teach adequately themselves, such as how to play the violin, higher levels of math, etc.

As for hanging out a shingle to homeschool other people's children for profit, I'd say the state would require you have the credentials to operate a school. At least, I know Pennsylvania would. At the very least, you'd need to meet state laws for daycare center.

You'd be opening yourself up to some serious lawsuits. Parents who chose to homeschool do so because they feel very strongly about their children's education. That means you would be truly under a microscope. And honestly, I doubt many homeschooling parents would pay for someone else to teach their children from a mini school in his/her basement. It goes against everything homeschooling parents believe.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,477,204 times
Thanks for your reply. Maybe that's what my neighbor meant. Oh, I wouldn't want to teach other's kids, I was just curious as how this works and now I think I misunderstood my neighbor. She was probably just doing someone a favor, since her kids go to a private school.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,030,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I am just curious as I know nothing about homeschooling. I have a neighbor who once mentioned that she homeschooled other people's children. I didn't ask her if she charged for this service as I know it's none of my business. But I was left wondering, CAN a parent who is homeschooling her child take on other people's kids and homeschool them too and charge a tuition?
I am in Texas and I know different states have different regulations.
Also, for those of you who currently homeschool, how difficult is it to teach children at different grade levels at the same time? Say a 7th grader and a 3rd grader?

Thanks for all your answers!
I know a number of people who teach classes at coops. Prices range from $10 to $120 for a class (per subject, that is, not per session); some folks will barter. Most are homeschooling parents themselves, but not all are.

Some state laws address whether homeschooling is defined as the parent coordingating the education, or doing all the teaching. Ours doesn't.

And with my two, it hasn't been that hard. Though they're the same age, there are some subjects where one would be ahead of the other. If I were, for example, working with ds, dd could be doing her writing, or drawing, or taking a break, or any of a number of other things. Formal "schooltime" really only takes about 10 hours over 4 days in a week. We don't need to do things like study hall, or attendance, or waiting for the others to catch up.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,722,666 times
I guess when you have 30 kids in your lounge you have created a school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting