U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 PM

752 posts, read 402,770 times

Advertisements

If they look like this, and the parent won't take action, then it should atleast be considered. The kids health is in serious danger, and if their was a parent out there letting their kids eat like, rubbing alcohol, or something, then they'd get their kids taken away, because that's harmful. Its the same concept, once the kid gets to the point in that picture.

Oh, and I don't mean to get all political, but I heard Sean Hannity say that if the Government wants to do something, then educate kids on nutrition...

...yeah, isn't that the thing you and the rest of your Conservative friends have been bitching about? You know...the whole "MICHELLES OBAMA IZ TRYIN TO TELL US WHAT WE CAN EAT" nonsense?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 13,139,776 times
So what would cost more...sending counselors and nutritionists to these homes to help the parents understand and learn to make more healthy choices.....or removing the children and placing them in other homes.I think if you removed these children from their homes you would create a real truama for these children...it could have devastating (possibly long term) consequences...I personally feel that it would be a tragic and very wrong thing to do......there has to be another way....

Old 07-24-2011, 03:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,222,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The two youngest, however, are overweight, and have been on thyroid medicine most of their lives.
I don't think anyone is implying that children with valid medical conditions (such as your siblings) should be taken away, since they were obviously taken care of (or you wouldn't know about the thyroid issues), but lazy parents that give their kids bags upon bags of candy and crap junk foods, and plop them in front of a tv all day, yeah; I think they should be charged with neglect and in some cases abuse.

I mean really?! This kid is 3yrs old and right at 140lbs!!!

http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com/gen/resiz...e2xw01b0sg.jpg

(The local area I am from and moved back too. I see this stuff DAILY!)

We're obese but happy: Evansville, America's fattest city, defends itself | Mail Online

This mother WANTS to feed her fat baby! Maury103007 | Videos | Maury Povich

‪All the fat babies‬‏ - YouTube

‪OUR BABIES WEIGH OVER 700 LBS / 318 KG! (Maury) Part 1/5‬‏ - YouTube

Absolutely abuse, neglect, and **** poor parenting. These children should be removed from their homes and their "parents" should do jail time for their crimes against these babies.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM

427 posts, read 1,141,291 times
Social services is already out of homes to place children, and they are severly overburdened. If their needs to be intervention then start with court mandated counseling, seeing a nutritionist, and perhaps parenting classes. As well as testing, I have twin fraternal nieces, who are 18 months, twin 1 and twin 2, twin 1 was born smaller, eats less and both are equally active, and she just overnight, as we say puffed up, physically nothing is wrong with her, she is just bigger, even though twin 2 eats twice as much.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 13,139,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Absolutely abuse, neglect, and **** poor parenting. These children should be removed from their homes and their "parents" should do jail time for their crimes against these babies.
These parents need help to see the error of their ways....removing the children from the only parents they've ever known would traumatize them...and in effect punish THEM...as well as their parents...It's not their fault....they need help and understanding...not anger and punishment...almost the same as an alcholic, or a drug addict...they need someone to care enough to show them compassion instead of critisisim....If we can't do that...then we should butt out.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,222,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
These parents need help to see the error of their ways....removing the children from the only parents they've ever known would traumatize them...and in effect punish THEM...as well as their parents...It's not their fault....they need help and understanding...not anger and punishment...almost the same as an alcholic, or a drug addict...they need someone to care enough to show them compassion instead of critisisim....If we can't do that...then we should butt out.
The same as a drug addict?! My BIL is a lying, theiving, back stabbing, worthless drug addict; that has proven time and time again, he cares for the drugs more than his friends (all of them left him due to this "habit"), more than his family, more than a job, more than anything. He NEEDS jail time for his crimes. He has stolen and forged over 20K worth of checks from his elderly grandparents, stole 30K from his Mom off her cc's, stolen money from us, not to mention medication from everyone INCLUDING my DD's ADHD meds. He's not someone to molly-coddle; he's a CRIMINAL, and needs to do his time.

*SORRY, got off track on a very sticky situation around this household!

This is flat out ABUSE. And IMO child abuse is just as bad as rape and worse than murder. Removing a child from a highly abusive situation is NOT punishing them, it's HELPING them; how can you not see that?

How is it doing ANYONE any good to have a 4yr old at over 100lbs, or a 14yr old at 550+lbs?!

A quote from the CDC: "In the United States, the (CDC) defines child maltreatment as any act or series of acts of commission or omission by a parent or other caregiver that results in harm, potential for harm, or threat of harm to a child." How is morbid obesity NOT child abuse?

Child neglect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psychological abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Childhood Obesity a Crime? State of South Carolina thinks so | Mama's Health Blog

Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM

24,431 posts, read 17,150,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
The same as a drug addict?! My BIL is a lying, theiving, back stabbing, worthless drug addict; that has proven time and time again, he cares for the drugs more than his friends (all of them left him due to this "habit"), more than his family, more than a job, more than anything. He NEEDS jail time for his crimes. He has stolen and forged over 20K worth of checks from his elderly grandparents, stole 30K from his Mom off her cc's, stolen money from us, not to mention medication from everyone INCLUDING my DD's ADHD meds. He's not someone to molly-coddle; he's a CRIMINAL, and needs to do his time.

*SORRY, got off track on a very sticky situation around this household!

This is flat out ABUSE. And IMO child abuse is just as bad as rape and worse than murder. Removing a child from a highly abusive situation is NOT punishing them, it's HELPING them; how can you not see that?

How is it doing ANYONE any good to have a 4yr old at over 100lbs, or a 14yr old at 550+lbs?!

A quote from the CDC: "In the United States, the (CDC) defines child maltreatment as any act or series of acts of commission or omission by a parent or other caregiver that results in harm, potential for harm, or threat of harm to a child." How is morbid obesity NOT child abuse?

Child neglect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psychological abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Childhood Obesity a Crime? State of South Carolina thinks so | Mama's Health Blog
I think we can all agree there are varying levels of drug and alcohol abuse. Your BIL definitely needs to be incarcerated. Not all addicts do.

I don't believe removing obese children from their homes is the right answer. Removing children from their homes should be the very last step in this process.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM

10,904 posts, read 8,289,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Maybe in very extreme cases, where the child's life is in danger, but otherwise no. There have been parents who lost their children for failing to treat medical illnesses, and morbid obesity sounds like a medical illness to me. But why would a parent do this? Ignorance, lack of resources or help, or just don't give a damn?
Obesity is different than other "medical conditions". It has a cause in the vast majority of cases. The parent has to admit that THEY have a problem. The parent has to change THEIR behavior. Eating habits of a lifetime need to be addressed. And they don't want to do this. They have their own life long situation to deal with. And it is not just eating habits. It is mental habits, socialization habits (have you ever noticed that there are precious few kid activities that don't involve a snack? and when was the last time you went to a get together that did not involve food?), shopping habits....

And to top it all off, these people are constantly shamed for their size. They are second class citizens. And they know it. Last time I tried to motivate myself to change, it sure did not come from a feeling of shame. That is a lousy motivator. The sense of power, usefulness, worthiness is necessary to make change.

These kids don't need to be removed from their families. Have you looked at what happens to kids when they are removed from their families? Out of the frying pan, and very often into the fire. (Not saying it is never necessary, but sure should be a last resort.) These families need counseling. Not just dietary counseling but mental health counseling. Counseling to view themselves as healthy people. Counseling to help them understand that they are worthy. Counseling to replace comfort eating with genuine strength.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
This is tough. There are so many kids that need homes as it is. & I'm the pot as my kids' diets aren't good at all. I'm lucky my kids are skinny. They eat alot (well, not like a ton, but not like birds lol) & they are skin & bones. I was too as a kid though. I'm still thin. It doesn't mean myself or my kids are more healthy than people bigger than us.
Yah actually. It probably does. Health is not an equal opportunity thing. Being overweight adds health issues regardless of fault. Being skinny avoids many of them, regardless of cause.

Just the same, that does not mean you can't help your kids get better nutrition and increase their health factor even more.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
NO, I'm too busy raising my own kids (for which I don't get any govt funds) to raise someone else's kids for profit, like, ummmm......well....would you "do the job" if not getting paid?

My parents were foster parents for a bunch of people. They put the money in a savings account for the kids. What service do you get out of criticizing with such a broad brush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting