Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Sure!! Let's put them in foster homes. Great idea!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:26 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Probably not, unless it can be proved the environment the parents are providing is what is explicitly causing the obesity.

Case in point... I was an obese child. 250lbs at 14 years old. My parents had literally NOTHING to do with the issue. In fact, they probably prevented me from reaching something like 300+lbs. Why was I obese then? All the people and things around me.

Grandmothers who showed love through the spoon (aka eat whatever you like as much as you want, oh you're full, here's another piece of cake!). Kids really aren't too self conscious about their bodies till puberty. You eat what tastes good, you don't think about how it's unhealthy or could make you fat, then it's too late... Had the same problem with some aunts and uncles. What were my parents to do? Bar me from ever spending time with family members?

And even moving away from family, there was the school cafeteria that sold tons of delicious and unhealthy treats for mere quarters. All the kids chowed that stuff down. I hear schools are better now with offering healthy foods, but when I was a kid and even in high school, man we were served junk food day after day. Pizza, greasy burgers, French fries, a variety of sweet treats that seemed infinite.

And then there was hanging out with my friends. Pizza parties with soda and chips were pretty much a given. Everyone ate that. Like I said, kids aren't really self conscious, and by the time you are, you have instilled poor eating habits and perhaps even addiction that is hard to break.

So sure, I guess my parents could have prevented me from being obese by jailing me in the house, never letting me leave, home schooling me, having no friends, no interaction with family. Yes, I would have been skinny, but what kind of life is that? I'm not sure what the solution is, but my point is that I was very obese and my parents were not the cause and like I said, helped as much as they possibly could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting