Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
When did you kid start speaking....not just nouns here and there. But using languge with the grammar, full sentences, etc.?
My oldest was talking in sentences (typical baby talk) by 2. My youngest uttered her first full sentence before she was 1. I didn't talk until I was 2 (not a word from what I've been told) and my brother was fluently bilingual at 2. I think kids are just all over the place on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not necessarily true! It's not uncommon for the older children to speak for the younger children, causing the younger children to have a delay in speaking because they have no need to speak. My sister didn't speak at all until she was 4 years old. Then one day, she spoke in complete full complex sentences!

The reason she didn't speak for so long is because our oldest sister spoke for her all the time. She'd say, "Sally's hungry." "Sally is thirsty." etc. The day Sally did speak was to give our older sister a piece of her mind. It was hillarious! The funniest part is my sister who had delayed speaking NEVER SHUT UP once she started talking! Fifty years later, she still talks and talks and talks. My parents alway said she had catching up to do!

Are you sure that you're not so overly attentive to your son's needs that he doesn't have a reason to speak?
Yes it can go both ways. Sometimes the parents are so attentive of the eldest that the child never needs anything and so doesn't make an effort to talk.

But other times it's almost as though the younger child grows up with older siblings talking for him that he gets comfortable with that.

Also many people use non-verbal expression. Kids with a littler sibling will often see what the little one wants and say it for him. Kids that don't talk often are very good at non-verbal communication.

And then like everything, people learn different things at their own pace.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
My dd was speaking in simple 3 word sentences by the time she was one. She has friends who started speaking later (2 and 3). Those friends caught up very quickly and they are all at the same level now.

I agree with a pp who said this one can be all over the place.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That goes with one theory I have that the oldest is delayed, and the ones after that pick it up quickly from the oldest one.

Glad, to hear your story. My son is 2 1/2, and it's basically a handful of unitelligeible words. I'm hoping for that light switch A good friend of mine basically had the same situation with his son as you mentioned with yours. So, maybe my son is on that track
I don't think you have much to worry about yet. My oldest had a sudden transition from "pigeon English" to "Conversational, yet requiring some translation" around 26 months or so. My parents relate that I didn't speak much until around three, but I'd been stockpiling vocabulary during that time. When I started, it was sophisticated language.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
All three of mine were different. The oldest, my son only said a handful of words for a long time and then sometime before his 3rd birthday just started talking in complete sentences. There were some moments before that when he would say something in a sentence, but never consistently. His first sentence I can remember was on Christmas morning just after he had turned 2, when I asked him if he thought Santa had come he replied, "HoHo, he has elves." Then he didn't really talk again for almost a year.

DD1 was a very different story and she talked early, words before her first birthday and was speaking in complete sentences by 14 months and could hold a conversation at 18 months. She has yet to stop talking, lol.

DD2 is now 21 months and just saying the occasional word. She has been saying a little more each day, but nowhere near what DD1 was doing and I would say it maybe even a little behind DS. Overall, we aren't worried but we have made it a point to work with her more.

I think in DS's case we saw the typical oldest child delay. DD1 certainly seemed to benefit greatly from having a sibling close in age who talked. DD2 seems to be suffering from being the youngest in that her older siblings try to say and do everything for her. She probably couldn't get a word in edge wise if she wanted to, lol.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My oldest talked a lot by the time she was three and a half, but we only understood about half of what she said. The pediatrician told us to take away the sippy cups (we used the ones with valves) and within a month we could understand everything she said.

My younger daughter was using about 20 words at 6 months. She was speaking in long sentences with correct grammar at one year, and using big words (fascinating, complicated, obnoxious, uterus, etc.) at two.

It doesn't seem to have much to do with their abilities later on...my oldest is an honor student and was reading by the end of kindergarten. My youngest sounds a lot less intelligent now that she's in school. I think she's trying to talk like the other kids her age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting