U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM

941 posts, read 831,592 times

Advertisements

I walk around naked or mostly naked in my house all the time. I also frequently skinnydip at my friend's house (they live on a large plot of land so it's private). I've seen female children and adults at gym or swimming pool locker rooms too...it's really not a big deal.

I think modesty is a good thing to teach when it comes to following social norms outside, but people should also be comfortable in their own skins. I know people who are nude in front of children (and whose children walk around nude in front of them). There's nothing weird or gross or sexual about it; these people are just comfortable being themselves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:05 AM

9,573 posts, read 4,760,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yep. Because she doesn't live in one of those cultures. Heck, she doesn't even live in a household were all family members embrace lacking modesty.
That's right. I cannot imagine walking around naked in front of my teen-age son!

That is not the culture we live in and I think she is doing a disservice to her teen-age children - who most likely - do not want to see their mother naked.

Who wants to see their Mother naked????

I can't think of one teen-ager who would want this lifestyle.

Yuck. That's my opinion.

If it's just you and your husband or perhaps very young children - that's a whole different thing.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 AM

455 posts, read 315,076 times
I'm shocked no one wants then brought up on charges !

Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 782,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
I'm shocked no one wants then brought up on charges !

Off With their Heads!!!!

er, maybe that's not exactly the right way to say it

Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

538 posts, read 705,790 times
I called a friend and told her I was stopping by. She said to give her a moment to freshen up her make-up before I came over. I said, "oh, do you have special guests?" She said that she just didn't want her 13 year old daughter to see her without makeup. She was serious--she was essentially teaching her daughter to grow up with permanent self-esteem issues when you can't even walk around your own house without make up because people who shouldn't care are going to be judging you even though they aren't there.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,736,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
I called a friend and told her I was stopping by. She said to give her a moment to freshen up her make-up before I came over. I said, "oh, do you have special guests?" She said that she just didn't want her 13 year old daughter to see her without makeup. She was serious--she was essentially teaching her daughter to grow up with permanent self-esteem issues when you can't even walk around your own house without make up because people who shouldn't care are going to be judging you even though they aren't there.
The local radio station had people ring in and tell what they did for their partners. One lady who sounded about 30 called up and said she had been married for about 5 years and her husband had never seen her without makeup. Just a little not a full face full. She was very specific that the reason she did it was that it helped her to focus on doing something just for him.

So girls do not need to associate making an effort to look good as somehow saying that they are inherantly not good.

I guess it comes down to motivation and perspective. Glass half full or glass half empty.

Back on the nudity thing - Personally not for me. I guess now I am in the each to their own camp. I think that there is an intimacy or a privacy thing that means that I keep the nudity for the bed room.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 8,945,195 times
How does wearing makeup everyday do anything for him?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM

492 posts, read 497,757 times
I think its gross to walk around nude in your house in front of your teenage kids....what kind of message are you sending mom, especially in front of your son...that is just plain nasty....its as if you want to have relations with your own son, because women walk around nude in front of their man when they are seeking attention...

Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 8,945,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
I think its gross to walk around nude in your house in front of your teenage kids....what kind of message are you sending mom, especially in front of your son...that is just plain nasty....its as if you want to have relations with your own son, because women walk around nude in front of their man when they are seeking attention...
LOL Speak for yourself!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I called a friend today to let her know I would be stopping by to pick up something. She told me to give her a few minutes so she could get dressed, as she was cleaning in the nude. I laughed and told her I would give her plenty of time, then asked where all the kids were. Well, they were home, a son,14 and a daughter, 11. She told me the three of them frequently walk around the house nude, although her husband and an older daughter don't.

I guess she picked up on my shock, because she told me her kids found it normal for her to clean that way, and it didn't bother them. I told her it seemed weird to be nude in front of her son, admittedly a late bloomer, who is just entering puberty.

I don't have a hang-up about nudity, as recently as this year I went to a nude beach. But, I wouldn't be comfortable walking around that way in front of my teens.

So, is this just my personal opinion, as she thinks, or is there a good reason to put clothes on in front of older kids?
That's certainly unusual, but I don't think that's dangerous in any way. Just a little weird.

I probably would have seen to it that my mother quit doing that if I were a teen in those shoes, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting