U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 AM

108 posts, read 188,215 times

Advertisements

I say marriage and kids are both worthwhile, the only problem is once you get married you think you know your spouse, then you have kids and find out you made a mistake because theres a whole other side to them you didnt know about based on the way they parent. This can cause enormous friction, and errupts the relationship. I say go for it but first find out what your spouses views are in depth before you leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,043,825 times
My parents would both exclaim "NO!!"

Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 1,552,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algenubi View Post
I say marriage and kids are both worthwhile, the only problem is once you get married you think you know your spouse, then you have kids and find out you made a mistake because theres a whole other side to them you didnt know about based on the way they parent. This can cause enormous friction, and errupts the relationship. I say go for it but first find out what your spouses views are in depth before you leap.
Trust me, if I do get married, I'd want to know pretty much everything...LOL

Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 PM

7,081 posts, read 1,775,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof3 View Post
married and 4 kids later...yes, definitely worth it. Do some days i wish i were single and could sleep all day? Yes!

I know unconditional love.
I know what it feels like to love something so much it hurts.
I know that i'd give my life for my child.
I know that some days i wish they would just be quiet.
I know that someday i'm going to miss that noise.

I have 4 beautiful kids. I cry when they receive awards. I cry when they reach milestones. I miss them terribly when they are away, but wonder when they're going back when they come home.

But that's me and my husband. Do i sometimes want to mainline prozac and xanax before i go grocery shopping with them all? Yes!

I cannot speak for others...i certainly never saw myself with 4 kids, but now, it's really remarkable. Each day i surprise myself and each day is a new test of patience.

you said it perfectly!!!!

Old 10-27-2016, 04:58 AM

110 posts, read 60,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Depends on the individual. For me, marriage may be worth it but kids on the other hand, no. Some may call me selfish, but it's not worth giving up my freedom for.
That's not selfish at all. If anything, you are the opposite. You are realistic about knowing that you would be a crappy parent and are sparing yourself

Old 10-28-2016, 05:23 PM

13,512 posts, read 1,916,522 times
I think having kids is worth it

Old 10-28-2016, 07:35 PM

1,460 posts, read 341,273 times
It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but I cannot imagine my life without my children in it. The only regret I have is that we don't have 48-72 hours in day so that i can enjoy my family slowly and more deliberately.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:42 AM

14,420 posts, read 16,212,293 times
OP, This is a nearly 6 year old thread. Did you ever get married, and/or have children??

Old 10-29-2016, 09:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,670,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but what CMP says is true. I know it because my mother worked in a nursing home when she returned to her nursing career after SAHM.
I agree. My grandfather is in a home and most of the patients (yes they had kids) didn't get anything from their kids for Christmas. They were ignored, on Christmas! And they were all nice and sweet, and there were a LOT of them so none of this "Oh one or two people they were probably bad parents" nonsense.

My mom and I went out and bought them presents

Old 10-29-2016, 09:49 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,670,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Totally disagree. It's entirely possible to contribute to humanity and society without having children. And it could be successfully argued from many different angles that not having children is directly contributing to humanity, such as the world is overpopulated, some people shouldn't reproduce due to genetics, some people's values/knowledge/heritage is deterimental to society, etc.

I'm a parent, but it makes me sick when others treat childless people like their lives are purposeless.
Thank you! Most parents are too busy to do anything else, and just because you pop out an infant doesn't mean a contribution. All the humans who grow up to be murderers, rapists, pedos, in jail, etc, wow yeah that's really some contribution from their parents!

I work and pay taxes for schools and roads, and I volunteer to help those in need.

To answer the OP, since I obviously don't have children, it's about personal choice and doing whats best for you. Since I don't have kids, a lot of parents feel comfortable telling me they regret their decision and if they could do it again, they wouldn't have kids, or maybe they would have stopped a kid or two short of what they did.

If you feel in your heart/gut that you don't want to do the marriage/kids thing, then don't.
If you are still young, wait awhile, there isn't any rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting