Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have already posted a thread asking about the pros and cons of marriage but this is something that didn't really come up on that thread. Please understand that I am not asking for dating advice, I am not feeling sorry for myself, and I am not unhappy. I am just asking a questions. The question is:

Is having a family worth it? In other words, is it worth it to have kids? Would you still do it if you could start over again? The reason I am asking this is just curiosity. Like the marriage question I asked earlier, I am just asking if I am missing anything. I would appreciate input from anyone, whether you have kids or not, if your kids are good, if your kids are lousy, whoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Everyones different...but for me...having children was definately worth it...although trying at times(to say the least) , now that they're all grown up...they have become delightful friends.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
In my case, this question ties in with the marriage question. Yes, I am very glad I had children. I reluctantly got married, but after marriage I wanted badly to have children. It took a long time, but we had two sons, and the boys have made me deliriously happy.

But the fact that I have children and are so close to them also keeps me stuck in a bad marriage. And that is really hard to deal with on a daily basis.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
It's the hardest thing I have ever done but also the most fulfilling. I have two children, a boy and a girl. They have both grown into wonderful individuals.

There were plenty of times that were difficult and added gray hairs to my head but having children is without question, the best thing I ever did.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Depends on the individual. For me, marriage may be worth it but kids on the other hand, no. Some may call me selfish, but it's not worth giving up my freedom for.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Everyone I know tells me that being a parent is the best thing they've ever done. They love being parents and that raising children is the most difficult but at the same time, is the most rewarding job/role/thing in the world. So yes, I would definitely say having a family is 100% worth it. Even people I know that didn't want children in the first place are glad to have had kids.

I'm 18, but I can't wait to start a family. I'm very excited about having one someday. I want 4 kids and would like to start at around 22 or 23 but it'd have to be after I get married though.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
And CancerianMoonPrincess... I'm not "poking" at you when I mentioned about people I know that didn't want kids having them. So don't think that!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM

859 posts, read 2,827,956 times
Let me start by saying that I was always one of these guys that said I would never get married, Never have kids. I wanted my money to myself and my freedom. As I got older I realized that true happiness is not a big house, nice cars and lots of money. All of those things are nice to have but I wasn't any happier with them than without them.

My current GF has a boy that will be 7 soon. He's a bit of a handful pretty much all the time and we have our differences. his behavior often causes issues between his mother and I as we have different views of discipline. I was brought up in a strict home with rules. I knew what was right or wrong and I knew exactly where the line was and what happened if I stepped over it. I turned out just fine and I'm fairly successful. I attribute that to my upbringing.

She on the other hand was raised where her parents never said no. She got everything she wanted if she screamed loud enough. Her idea of punishment is sending the kid to his room for a time out. She has done well for herself but made a lot of bad decisions along the way. Again, I attribute that to her upbringing.

Now with all that being said.. Is it worth the arguing, fighting, daily battles with the kid???? Hell YES it is.. He's not even my kid but I love him like he is.... He makes me crazy 50% of the time but the other 50% is wonderful... It took me many years to come around and I was open to the idea of kids long before the current GF and I got together. YOU have to be ready for a family.. If you're not life will be miserable. Don't get forced into a family, marriage or a relationship with children until you're ready...

When all is said and done... YES it's worth it.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
And CancerianMoonPrincess... I'm not "poking" at you when I mentioned about people I know that didn't want kids having them. So don't think that!
It's ok. I wasn't thinking that. At least you don't make jokes like SOME posters do about me falling for a moon prince and having septuplets.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 AM

45 posts, read 76,866 times
Work won't visit you when you are old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting