Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
It's the hardest thing I have ever done but also the most fulfilling. I have two children, a boy and a girl. They have both grown into wonderful individuals.

There were plenty of times that were difficult and added gray hairs to my head but having children is without question, the best thing I ever did.
Can you tell us why it was the best thing you ever did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,161 times
My daughter is the most amazing, compassionate person who is a joy to be around. My only regret is she's growing up too quickly.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't doubt that it's true. I just have issues when statements of "fact" are given with nothing to back it up.

FWIW my grandmother has Alzheimer's and just fell and broke her hip. Her 2 kids, my dad, and my aunt, have upheaved their lives to take care of her. Not all adult kids are deadbeats.
My great grandfather had severe dementia before he passed away and it was not pleasant to visit him. Also, my great grandmother is still living and currently in a nursing home and the family members barely go to see her maybe once a month. But it's not because my grandma and great aunt are deadbeats. My grandma is currently married to someone with health problems and my great aunt has to take care of my cousin (I think. It's her son) because he has health problems. And adding my great grandma to the picture would be even more stressful because she's completely deaf.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that it's true. I just have issues when statements of "fact" are given with nothing to back it up.
Understood.

Quote:
FWIW my grandmother has Alzheimer's and just fell and broke her hip. Her 2 kids, my dad, and my aunt, have upheaved their lives to take care of her. Not all adult kids are deadbeats.
Sadly, a greater percentage of people in nursing homes are there because their family couldn't or wouldn't upheave their lives to care for them.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
If you want to fully participate in humanity you will have children. If you don't have children, then you're never a parent and will never directly contribute to developing the next generation. You can't impart your values, your knowledge, and your heritage to other people any other way.

It isn't easy. It isn't cheap. But it is SOOO incredible.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If you want to fully participate in humanity you will have children. If you don't have children, then you're never a parent and will never directly contribute to developing the next generation. You can't impart your values, your knowledge, and your heritage to other people any other way.
Totally disagree. It's entirely possible to contribute to humanity and society without having children. And it could be successfully argued from many different angles that not having children is directly contributing to humanity, such as the world is overpopulated, some people shouldn't reproduce due to genetics, some people's values/knowledge/heritage is deterimental to society, etc.

I'm a parent, but it makes me sick when others treat childless people like their lives are purposeless.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
^^ thank you! I can find fullfillmemt in God! Not my uterus. Yes He gave me a uterus, but that doesn't mean everyone should use it! Do you think Childless Missionaries are unfulfilled? No.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,876,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Okay, so I have already posted a thread asking about the pros and cons of marriage but this is something that didn't really come up on that thread. Please understand that I am not asking for dating advice, I am not feeling sorry for myself, and I am not unhappy. I am just asking a questions. The question is:

Is having a family worth it? In other words, is it worth it to have kids? Would you still do it if you could start over again? The reason I am asking this is just curiosity. Like the marriage question I asked earlier, I am just asking if I am missing anything. I would appreciate input from anyone, whether you have kids or not, if your kids are good, if your kids are lousy, whoever.
17 years of marriage, four kids, extremely difficult divorce, now single parent with custody of 2 of my kids.

Was it worth it?

I have mixed feelings about the time (years) I sometimes feel I wasted on my ex and her family. I sometimes regret sacrifices I made for my ex that I am paying for now. I regret not being closer to my family, sibling, cousins, aunts & uncles and allowing others to come between us.

That said, this is my life. It's had some very good times and some very difficult times. These experiences have helped make me who and what I am today. My children? They are a part of me and I don't think I would have ever been complete without them. I wonder about the road not taken but then if I had to do it again, how could I not choose to meet them again?

Yea, it was worth it.
Maybe not for you, but for me it has been.

Whatever you do, I wish you well on your path.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,276 times
Married and 4 kids later...yes, definitely worth it. Do some days I wish I were single and could sleep all day? YES!

I know unconditional love.
I know what it feels like to love something so much it hurts.
I know that I'd give my life for my child.
I know that some days I wish they would just be quiet.
I know that someday I'm going to miss that noise.

I have 4 beautiful kids. I cry when they receive awards. I cry when they reach milestones. I miss them terribly when they are away, but wonder when they're going back when they come home.

But that's me and my husband. Do I sometimes want to mainline Prozac and Xanax before I go grocery shopping with them all? YES!

I cannot speak for others...I certainly NEVER saw myself with 4 kids, but now, it's really remarkable. Each day I surprise myself and each day is a new test of patience.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
I think the question is impossible to answer. Your instinct will lead you to what is right for you.

Raising kids can be challenging, yet, you grow and expand because of difficult experiences . . .

It depends on what your world view is . . .

It depends what you think the purpose of your life is and what you want to dedicate your energy, time, and money to . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting