Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM

135 posts, read 479,170 times

Advertisements

My daughters 8th birthday is coming up and we plan on having a Disco Party at home. She has made a list of 12 girls she would like to invite out of both 3rd grade classes. I don’t have a problem with her doing this and wanting to be with the girls she likes the most on her day. I plan on mailing the invites but inevitably kids tend to talk at school and I am sure others will find out they were not invited. I personally understand that not all classmates can be invited to every party and my DD has been on that end too with out it hurting her feelings. How do you handle the situation when a child or worse their parent ask you why they did not get invited? There is especially one pushy girl and her mother who do this. I included that child last year and my daughter cried when I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
I don't think you should feel obligated to invite every girl in the class. If a parent asks about it, all you have to say is "we couldn't invite all 30 girls, and my daughter made the guest list." I understand the hurt feelings. I've been there, but unless this girl is a close friend (which she apparently isn't) it would be rude of her mom to mention it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
When did the concept of inviting everyone in the class to avoid hurting feelings start? Thank goodness that wasn't going on when DS was little..... to me, birthday parties are meant to be spent with people with whom you are close/good friends with.

If someone is that incredibly rude to ask why they weren't invited (or their child wasn't invited) then say what rkb suggested - "we had a limited guest list" and leave it at that. I wouldn't sweat too much over people like that.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
I want to add, too, that 8 seems to be the age that a lot of kids stop inviting the whole class and concentrate on their better friends. It is also the age that some of the preschool friends drop off the list and the kids of mom's friends, in my experience. If you are one of the first to limit the guest list, I would bet more are coming.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I always invited everyone. It teaches children to be better than those who excluded them.

As for crying after inviting the unpopular girl, a lesson in tollerance might be appropriate.

Kids need to learn that life isn't all about them, even on their birthdays.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
No need to invite everyone. That said, don't pass the invitations out at school. Make other arrangements for invitation distribution.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No need to invite everyone. That said, don't pass the invitations out at school. Make other arrangements for invitation distribution.
Agreed.

Since school is out, the news won't spread so quickly anyway. One of my DDs has a July birthday and she always had a smaller party than her older sister whose birthday is in March. It's so much easier when there hasn't been an endless round of parties and lots of talk about birthdays in the classroom. Some kids will be out of town, so you may want to invite a few more than you think you can accomodate.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If a parent asks about it, all you have to say is "we couldn't invite all 30 girls, and my daughter made the guest list."
Exactly what we did when my kids were little.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I always invited everyone. It teaches children to be better than those who excluded them.

As for crying after inviting the unpopular girl, a lesson in tollerance might be appropriate.

Kids need to learn that life isn't all about them, even on their birthdays.

I'm going to disagree with this one.
My kids have had plenty of opportunity to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, and plenty of learning experiences. A birthday party is, IMO, intended to be when you celebrate a special occasion with your nearest and dearest. We invited the whole class in kindergarten, and started limiting parties thereafter to the children they voluntarily socialize with. If little Hermia is not normally someone Lucrezia would invite over, I'm not inviting her over for what is essentially a Really Big Playdate, With a Clown and Ice Cream.

Parenthetically, I did, once, insist eldest dd invite a girl she didn't want to invite to a sleepover. By morning I knew why she was dragging her feet. The girl was, despite the fact that her mother was a lovely human being, a thoroughly obnoxious and mean-spirited one. That was my learning experience-- to trust dd's instincts.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I'm going to disagree with this one.
My kids have had plenty of opportunity to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, and plenty of learning experiences. A birthday party is, IMO, intended to be when you celebrate a special occasion with your nearest and dearest. We invited the whole class in kindergarten, and started limiting parties thereafter to the children they voluntarily socialize with. If little Hermia is not normally someone Lucrezia would invite over, I'm not inviting her over for what is essentially a Really Big Playdate, With a Clown and Ice Cream.

Parenthetically, I did, once, insist eldest dd invite a girl she didn't want to invite to a sleepover. By morning I knew why she was dragging her feet. The girl was, despite the fact that her mother was a lovely human being, a thoroughly obnoxious and mean-spirited one. That was my learning experience-- to trust dd's instincts.
Totally agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting