Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

My daughter (only child) is leaving by the end of August to study for a year (her Jr. year) in the Sichuan Province of China on a scholarship. She is a Mandarin and linguistics major. She will be gone until next July.

She's always been a great kid, never gave me any trouble. She's smart, a good student, a good person, and this is a wonderful opportunity. She's currently taking an eight-week intensive Chinese course at a language school in another state and won't be home until mid-August, then two weeks later she leaves for Chengdu.

I know she is nervous, especially about the long flight as well as the "unknown" factor, but she is also excited about this new adventure.

However, on the Mommy end, I am starting to get those "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" moments, where I picture a plane nosediving into the Pacific, or her disappearance in China, or an earthquake in the province like the one that happened in 2008...I could go on, but you get the idea. It even freaks me out that she will be on the other side of the planet with her head pointing to the sky in the other direction. We will communicate via Skype, so it's not as though I will never be able to talk to her (provided she arrives there safely in the first place...)

Anyone else here have their kid go FAR away from them to school for a long time? How did you handle this emotionally? Am I nuts to be so anxious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Well I haven't ask my mom, but I went to Thailand for my internship. I was gone for a month, my mom was excited for me yet I think she was also sad that I was leaving home too. I didn't know the people who I was doing my intern with, I was by myself, and I had to use my common sense (in finding the gate where I have no idea where is it). The whole flight isn't too bad. I landed in GuangZhou (or GuangDong) on my way to Chiangmai. As long as she keep in contact with you, everything is fine. I skype with my sister so my mom got the chance to talk to me.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Can't really help you out , but I'm leaving for Buenos Aires, Argentina this Sunday. My mom's already saying she can't wait until I get back and I haven't even left yet. The only thing I can tell you is that your daughter will be fine as long as she has some common sense. Most of the things my parents have felt the need to lecture me about (not leaving my drink unattended, not walking in dark alleys, not going anywhere with strangers blah, blah, blah) are things that I've known since forever and they apply here in the States. She'll be fine. Most of those things you mentioned could happen anywhere (that probably doesn't help lol)

Last edited by luckynumber4; 07-22-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Well I haven't ask my mom, but I went to Thailand for my internship. I was gone for a month, my mom was excited for me yet I think she was also sad that I was leaving home too. I didn't know the people who I was doing my intern with, I was by myself, and I had to use my common sense (in finding the gate where I have no idea where is it). The whole flight isn't too bad. I landed in GuangZhou (or GuangDong) on my way to Chiangmai. As long as she keep in contact with you, everything is fine. I skype with my sister so my mom got the chance to talk to me.
That sounds like a pretty cool internship. Yes, we will be Skyping.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Can't really help you out , but I'm leaving for Buenos Aires, Argentina this Sunday. My mom's already saying she can't wait until I get back and I haven't even left yet.
Have a great trip. That's pretty far away, too. I personally have always wanted to go to Buenos Aires. How long will you be there? Are you going for school?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Have a great trip. That's pretty far away, too. I personally have always wanted to go to Buenos Aires. How long will you be there? Are you going for school?
Thanks! Yep, I'm going for school to study Spanish (I'm a Spanish minor) and I'll be coming back on Christmas Eve. It sounds like such a long time but it really isn't that different from when I'm in school during a normal semester. I go to school pretty far away from home so I don't visit much and I pretty much only come home on holidays. I'll be missing Thanksgiving which I'm usually only home for about 3-4 days for anyway. I keep trying to tell my mom this to comfort her but I don't think it's working lol.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
That sounds like a pretty cool internship. Yes, we will be Skyping.
Yep, just want to ensure you that everything will be all right. I'm not too far off from your daughter's age (i think) so she will have a lot of fun. If you want her to call you, it's best to get a pre-paid phone. International phone card is fine too. Pre-paid might be easier though.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Thanks! Yep, I'm going for school to study Spanish (I'm a Spanish minor) and I'll be coming back on Christmas Eve. It sounds like such a long time but it really isn't that different from when I'm in school during a normal semester. I go to school pretty far away from home so I don't visit much and I pretty much only come home on holidays. I'll be missing Thanksgiving which I'm usually only home for about 3-4 days for anyway. I keep trying to tell my mom this to comfort her but I don't think it's working lol.
Mine will be gone for almost a year. I am thinking of taking a trip to visit her in the spring, though. It will be a big deal for me--the only time I've left the US is to go to the Bahamas twice.

Thanks for responding. It's kind of comforting to know that other people's kids are doing the same thing and that their moms are probably having meltdowns, too, lol. I KNOW that a lot of kids do study abroad, BUT MY WITTLE BABY WILL BE SO FAR AWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Yep, just want to ensure you that everything will be all right. I'm not too far off from your daughter's age (i think) so she will have a lot of fun. If you want her to call you, it's best to get a pre-paid phone. International phone card is fine too. Pre-paid might be easier though.
I think it's really expensive to call from China, so that's why we plan to skype. I do want to look into the international calling thing. I mean, I want to speak with her on Christmas, even though they don't HAVE Christmas where she is going.

Yes, she's probably close in age--she will be 20 in August, a few days before she leaves.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
My daughter (only child) is leaving by the end of August to study for a year (her Jr. year) in the Sichuan Province of China on a scholarship. She is a Mandarin and linguistics major. She will be gone until next July.... Am I nuts to be so anxious?
No, you are not nuts to be anxious. You are her mother and you love her. What would be nuts is if you weren't.

I studied linguistics. The chance for full immersion in a language is going to pay off for her ten-fold. This is a terrific opportunity for her. My congratulations to both of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting