Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It is also used, with the blessings of the medical profession, as a mild, non-narcotic, non-addictive, non-habitforming, short-term sedative for both children and adults, when a mild sedative is warranted. In fact, many adults find it extremely helpful for temporary bouts of insomnia. And again - that's with the blessing of the medical profession. The primary ingredient of over the counter sleep medicines is Diphenhydramine, which is the same primary ingredient of Benadryl. It is also indicated for use for motion sickness (something some kids experience on airplanes).
What you are suggesting is just nonsense. As I mentioned on another forum, I am pretty familiar with Benadryl since my daughter has a severe food allergy, and we carry it everywhere. Therefore, first of all, I must note that Benadryl has many potential side effects including restlessness, irritability and dizziness. M daughter has experienced restlessness after taking it, which made it very difficult for her to stay still. It does not just cause pleasant calmness for everyone as you suggest.

This is not to mention that my daughter needs a doctor's note to be given the medicine at school or camp. It is not just handed out willy-nilly.

Most importantly though, children should not have to be drugged in hopes that you can numb them into behaving appropriately. There is something seriously messed up about that. What kind of message are you sending to your child? --That they cannot behave without help from a drug, and that the answer to anything a little inconvenient (like trying to teach good behavior) is to pop a pill. If you don't see a problem with that, it is a little frightening.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Honestly, its been a long time since I have seen a child act out in a restaurant. I have seen kids out of control in the grocery store though. Walmart seems to be a common place. It can be annoying but I just avoid the aisles the commotion is going on in.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You told THEM that your children would beat up their mascots? Like it is THEIR problem?

I take it back. I am all for child bans everywhere. And the parents that go with them.
Why not READ before you post? I dont have children, you goof. I was warning my less experienced coworkers what they were getting themselves into, and they didnt believe me...and got beaten up by little kids for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
LOL. He's not talking about his own kids attacking them. I think he was warning them that the shopper's children would swarm and pounce.
Thanks! However, I am a 'she'.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It is also used, with the blessings of the medical profession, as a mild, non-narcotic, non-addictive, non-habitforming, short-term sedative for both children and adults, when a mild sedative is warranted. In fact, many adults find it extremely helpful for temporary bouts of insomnia. And again - that's with the blessing of the medical profession. The primary ingredient of over the counter sleep medicines is Diphenhydramine, which is the same primary ingredient of Benadryl. It is also indicated for use for motion sickness (something some kids experience on airplanes).
no one should have to sedate their child to keep from bothering other people in the grocery store, the mall, or a restaurant. On a plane... maybe. Not for a trip to the store.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Honestly, its been a long time since I have seen a child act out in a restaurant. I have seen kids out of control in the grocery store though. Walmart seems to be a common place. It can be annoying but I just avoid the aisles the commotion is going on in.
Another good reason never to shop at Walmart

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I am a parent and I would absolutely love it if there were restaurants that are child-free. I was at a nice, non-child oriented cafe on Wednesday and a woman let her 2 year old scream (with that high pitched squeal) continuously while he ran from table to table. He actually tried to take food of my daughter's plate (she is a teenager). His mother actually said "Its ok I just washed his hands" when I asked her to keep her son's hands off my daughter's food.

My cousin got married in May and had a later evening wedding and reception that she requested be child free due to her own preferences and issues with the venue. I left my then 16 year old at home and was astonished when I got there and her soon to be sister in law brought all three of her children under four. When I mentioned to her that I had to leave my child at home she said her children are entitled to go where ever she does. While this is obviously not a restaurant situation it is indicative of the sense of entitlement people feel when it comes to their children. Meanwhile my cousin was put in a horribly awkward position with the venues management and it was HER wedding. Crazy.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a parent and I would absolutely love it if there were restaurants that are child-free. I was at a nice, non-child oriented cafe on Wednesday and a woman let her 2 year old scream (with that high pitched squeal) continuously while he ran from table to table. He actually tried to take food of my daughter's plate (she is a teenager). His mother actually said "Its ok I just washed his hands" when I asked her to keep her son's hands off my daughter's food.

My cousin got married in May and had a later evening wedding and reception that she requested be child free due to her own preferences and issues with the venue. I left my then 16 year old at home and was astonished when I got there and her soon to be sister in law brought all three of her children under four. When I mentioned to her that I had to leave my child at home she said her children are entitled to go where ever she does. While this is obviously not a restaurant situation it is indicative of the sense of entitlement people feel when it comes to their children. Meanwhile my cousin was put in a horribly awkward position with the venues management and it was HER wedding. Crazy.
Id have asked her to leave. Simple as that. Ive made it quite clear at my wedding that children arent allowed, and if someone decides thats not acceptable they can either not come or leave.

Our money, our wedding, our rules.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Id have asked her to leave. Simple as that. Ive made it quite clear at my wedding that children arent allowed, and if someone decides thats not acceptable they can either not come or leave.

Our money, our wedding, our rules.
easier said than done.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
easier said than done.
For some, yes. For me in this case? Not at all.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
easier said than done.
I doubt Colddiamond lets little things like familial relationships get in the way of her enjoyment of her "Big Day", or anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting