Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM

219 posts, read 333,989 times

Advertisements

my oldest' daughters father is fighting my motion to relocate from michigan to texas so now i have to appear in court to prove that my move is in the best interest of our daughter. Which is fine because all i have to really bring is the school system comparison in both states. And the fact that im on EVERY source of assistance here, and i have a job offer in dallas getting blue cross insurance, and i dont qualify for assistance in texas. But now the issue is why do i feel so bad about moving? I mean my current husband doesnt have a job here in michigan but he does have one in texas plus we also have a kid together so i was told there was not going to be a long drug out case because of the proof i have plus the fact i have sole physical and sole legal custody of my daughter. WHY DO I FEEL BAD ABOUT MOVING? because my daughters' father just now wanted to be in her life after 3yrs when he heard we were moving is when he filed for joint custody but was denied, and he filed for visitation which he has but no overnights because the mediator says our daughter doesnt know him and shes not ready for overnights yet. But i really feel horrible for moving to better my life and my families, maybe its because im also moving away from my family. But its for the best because i have needing assistance and if i can get a job in another state getting off of it, then so be it. But i still feel horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
My mom tried to move out of state with me, my step-dad, and their 2 kids when I was about 13. My dad blocked it. But he also had had a continuous relationship with me since the divorce with frequent visitation, so the situation is different.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
my oldest' daughters father is fighting my motion to relocate from michigan to texas so now i have to appear in court to prove that my move is in the best interest of our daughter. Which is fine because all i have to really bring is the school system comparison in both states. And the fact that im on EVERY source of assistance here, and i have a job offer in dallas getting blue cross insurance, and i dont qualify for assistance in texas. But now the issue is why do i feel so bad about moving? I mean my current husband doesnt have a job here in michigan but he does have one in texas plus we also have a kid together so i was told there was not going to be a long drug out case because of the proof i have plus the fact i have sole physical and sole legal custody of my daughter. WHY DO I FEEL BAD ABOUT MOVING? because my daughters' father just now wanted to be in her life after 3yrs when he heard we were moving is when he filed for joint custody but was denied, and he filed for visitation which he has but no overnights because the mediator says our daughter doesnt know him and shes not ready for overnights yet. But i really feel horrible for moving to better my life and my families, maybe its because im also moving away from my family. But its for the best because i have needing assistance and if i can get a job in another state getting off of it, then so be it. But i still feel horrible.
Sounds like he's had years to be a bigger part of her life. I hope that even with the move he will have interest and ability to see his child. Is he paying some support for her care? Do what is truly best for you and your family and know that you can't please everyone all the time.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
This is why we need arranged marriages.
Once a kid is involved, Its just too hard on everyone.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
If the motion isn't approved, could you find some sort of compromise? Maybe if you were willing to fly her back to Michigan so many times per year so he could have visitation, he would feel more reassured that he would still be a part of her life. It sounds like you're trying to do the right thing in moving where you can get a job and get off public assistance, I can just see where he's coming from too--he doesn't want to lose his daughter either. Yes, I know he was a no-show for 3 years. Not cool, by any means. But if he's been wanting to be part of her life recently, perhaps that could be a positive thing for your daughter?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM

i have agreed to rotating holiday school breaks and a month during the summer break but he says no. I am not trying to keep them two apart in all reality it is my fault im going through this situation with him now, because if i would of listened to my mother and left him alone when he didnt want to be involved instead i kept in touch with him, messaged him, kept in touch with his family all trying to get him involved with her. So now when he hears we are wanting to move he jumps to the chance to want to see her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
If the motion isn't approved, could you find some sort of compromise? Maybe if you were willing to fly her back to Michigan so many times per year so he could have visitation, he would feel more reassured that he would still be a part of her life. It sounds like you're trying to do the right thing in moving where you can get a job and get off public assistance, I can just see where he's coming from too--he doesn't want to lose his daughter either. Yes, I know he was a no-show for 3 years. Not cool, by any means. But if he's been wanting to be part of her life recently, perhaps that could be a positive thing for your daughter?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:46 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
This is why we need arranged marriages.
Once a kid is involved, Its just too hard on everyone.
This is why Family stuff needs to remain Family stuff..

Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
i have agreed to rotating holiday school breaks and a month during the summer break but he says no. I am not trying to keep them two apart in all reality it is my fault im going through this situation with him now, because if i would of listened to my mother and left him alone when he didnt want to be involved instead i kept in touch with him, messaged him, kept in touch with his family all trying to get him involved with her. So now when he hears we are wanting to move he jumps to the chance to want to see her.
Nothing to stop him from moving to Texas. We'll see how serious he is when he has to get off his A** and make a real effort.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I know child support and visitation aren't supposed to be linked, but if you're on welfare, then is that because he's not supported his child? If he hasn't care enough to provide support, then I think that makes his case weak. It seems a lot better for the child to be in a working family.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 PM

im the one trying to move to texas and he doesnt want me to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Nothing to stop him from moving to Texas. We'll see how serious he is when he has to get off his A** and make a real effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting