Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Hypothetical Family have a second child?
Yes, Baby Hypothetical should have a sibling. 10 45.45%
No, Baby Hyopthetical would be fine as an only child. 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times

Advertisements

The Hypothetical family live in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia and consist of Mrs. Hypothetical, a middle school teacher, Mr. Hypothetical, a high school teacher and aspiring college professor, and Baby Hypothetical, the beautiful new addition to the Hypothetical family. Mr. Hypothetical is 33 and makes around $40k. Mrs. Hypothetical is 34 and makes around $50k. They both have always wanted a daughter and after several miscarriages, Baby Hypothetical was finally born.

The Hypotheticals are quite conservative financially and plan to be completely debt free (except for the house) in about four years. They picture themselves taking their daughter to museums and on various trips and outings. They also would like to involve her in extra-curricular activities and are striving to save their money to buy a home in a (pricier) community lauded for its excellent school system.

Mr. and Mrs. Hypothetical have considered having a second child, but pause when they think about the pregnancy complications prior to having Baby Hypothetical (and Mrs. Hypothetical's age), the expenses (day care for two, etc), and since Baby Hypothetical turned out so perfectly, they are a little apprehensive that things won't go as well for baby #2. However, they also are concerned that Baby Hypothetical will grow up a lonely only child. If the Hypotheticals chose to have a second child, they would begin trying as Baby Hypothetical turns one year old...

What are the pros and cons of having only children? Should the Hypotheticals try to have a second baby, or should Baby Hypothetical be an only child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM

172 posts, read 414,403 times
As a mother of one I think having one child is perfectly fine. He has cousins and friends to play with, but when it comes home it's just the three of us. We had tried for a second, but it didn't happen and that is just fine. We tried for one more because we wanted another child for us, not for our first child. Now that the boy is in the double digits it is even nicer just having him, because there are days when he drives me batty and I can't imagine having to deal with more than just him.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Hypothetically....this is not a decision that should be made based on a poll of random internet posters....

There is no "right" answer. What might be right for me might no be right for you...

Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hypothetically....this is not a decision that should be made based on a poll of random internet posters....

There is no "right" answer. What might be right for me might no be right for you...
I don't think anyone is making life altering decisions based on the responses on citydata. Just getting random opinions on a hypothetical question on a public forum about parenting. If you were in the hypothetical's shoes, what would you choose? What would be "right for you? "

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
2 kids was right for me.....but I also know plenty of families who are perfectly happy with one. Or three. Or more.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Personally, I think Mr. and Mrs. Hypothetical better leave a little room for surprise and serendipity in their lives because "stuff" happens and nobody ever lives the neat and tidy little life they think they have so carefully planned.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
No one can answer this except you. I always wanted 2. I always thought a child should have a sibling. Even though I had complications at the end of pregnancy #1 and DS was a difficult baby, I had another 2 years later. DS #2 had none of the issues as #1, and I can't imagine what life would be like with only 1. It just seems like something would be missing.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,827 times
As an only child myself (in my late 40's)... I wish parents would get away from that. Having at least one sibling, close in age, is better. JMHO

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
We were definitely fine with one, but life happens and now there's two. Now we can't imagine out lives without #2.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
It is only my experience, of course, but I've never known an only child who loved being an only child, and I've never known an only child who didn't grow up to have multiple kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting